1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 18:431 edit
    To respect Sas's wishes to put this thread back on track again I would like people who wish to discuss the issue "What is a fundamentalist" to continue the discussion in the thread of the same name.

Thanks
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:04
    I just wanted to say I like what Sasquatch672 was saying about Christian fundamentalist. How do they view mankind ?? Do they wish or think that everone should go to hell??Do they hate gay people??Do they wish ill to their neighbors?? I admit I'm coming from a place of disenchantment (is that a word??LOL) with so called modern/western christianity. I've seen so called christians do some pretty $hitty stuff to their fellow man. I've seen christians go to church on sunday and live like hell the rest of the time. If that is christianty then I want no part of that. I guess I just feel deep down you should try to walk what you believe is all. Manny
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:152 edits
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    So does that mean you respect the rights of all people to worship God in the way they understand Him (so long as it doesn't mean blowing yourself up in a Jersusalem fish market), meaning you support Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and any other "ism" I might have left out? Does it mean that you respect the rights of people to not believe in God? Does it ...[text shortened]...

I think we're really making progress here Ivanhoe. You're coming round. But answer me.
    Are you trying to impose your liberal views on me ? ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

Accepting the fact and respecting the fact that other people have different views doesn't necessarily entail I have to accept them as (moral) truths. A democracy is based on the possibility for people to exchange views in their quest for thruth. This is the case in the scientific field, the societal/political field and the religious/ideological/philosophical field. To tell you the truth I am happy this is the case in our countries and it has to stay that way in my opinion.

A free and civil exchange of thoughts should not entail some punishment for merely disagreeing with the person in question.

Sas: " ..... meaning you support Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and any other "ism" I might have left out? "

Respecting people as human beings and as a result of that ackowledging other people's rights does't mean I have to support their ideas or their religions/ideologies.

Take for instance communism, fascism and Islamism

Sas: "So does that mean you respect the rights of all people to worship God in the way they understand Him (so long as it doesn't mean blowing yourself up in a Jersusalem fish market) ... "

This sentence of yours of course hits the bull eye. I respect people's rights to worship their god or to live according their religious or ideological principles. However, I do not only disagree with people who blow other people up, but I have an active duty to support stopping those people who consider the killing of others as morally justifiable within their frame of reasoning, whether this frame is religious or secular, whether they call their ideology Islam or liberalism.
  4. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:21
    I posted this over on another thread but Ivanhoe has run off with his own thread there and it is getting nothing...so I moved it here... ๐Ÿ™‚

Generally speaking, a "Fundamentatlist" is one who choses to believe, follow, etc... the core set or founding set of aspects of a particular thing (belief, idea, etc...) - They are extremely rigid and unbending in their support/belief/etc... of this ideal and tend to react poorly to anything outside of those exact parameters. The views are very conservative in nature.

I have heard the word tied to numerous descriptions and as we know, everyone's definition of a word is different, so trying to generalize what a Fundamentalist Christian or Muslem or Hindu would be difficult. To add to that there are cultural differences. What Americans may perceive as fundamental about Christianity, a European may not. An East indian American would view what a fundamentalist Hindu was differently than one without exposure to America (meaning lived in India all their life.)

The only one I can really comment about it the "secular fundamentalist" since the two descriptives dont go well together. At its core someone who is secular is more "worldly" than "spiritual." More philosophical than religious. One who has a more worldly philosophical view of things is not someone who tends towards a very narrow, conservative, rigid and unbending point of view. It is almost a contradictory descriptive....

Anywho...That is my few pence on the topic....
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:42
    Originally posted by KnightWulfe
    I posted this over on another thread but Ivanhoe has run off with his own thread there and it is getting nothing...so I moved it here... ๐Ÿ™‚

[b]Generally speaking, a "Fundamentatlist" is one who choses to believe, follow, etc... the core set or founding set of aspects of a particular thing (belief, idea, etc...) - They are extremely rigid and unben ...[text shortened]... is almost a contradictory descriptive....

Anywho...That is my few pence on the topic....
    [/b]
    Sasquatch asked to stop discussing the issue of what constitutes a "fundamentalist" . I respected his wish to get this thread back on track again. That's why I opened a new thread called "What is a fundamentalsist" and I copied and pasted the existing posts. People who want to continue this particular issue can continue the discussion over there without steering this thread in a direction Sas doesn't want it to go.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:48
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Sasquatch asked to stop discussing the issue of what constitutes a "fundamentalist" . I respected his wish to get this thread back on track again. That's why I opened a new thread called "What is a fundamentalsist" and I copied and pasted the existing posts. People who want to continue this particular issue can continue the discussion over there without steering this thread in a direction Sas doesn't want it to go.
    I take it that this cutting and pasting is some obscure joke based on the idea that a fundamentalist takes written things literally.

Very good.
  7. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:49
    Originally posted by dottewell
    I take it that this cutting and pasting is some obscure joke based on the idea that a fundamentalist takes written things literally.

Very good.
    Well, he is Christian....
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:531 edit
    Well, he is Christian....
    But I was glad I went back to my old self for a day and said racist things to get you people off of my back and it worked.
    But I asked Christ for forgiveness and I know I got it 1 John 1:9.
  9. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 19:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:00
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    But I was glad I went back to my old self for a day and said racist things to get you people off of my back and it worked.
    But I asked Christ for forgiveness and I know I got it 1 John 1:9.
    The usual bunch, guess who, is trying to upset you and trying to make you say things you don't want to say. The instruments they use are the familiar ones: Insults, provocations, insinuating and manipulating interrrogations, degrading actions, ridicule, etc etc.

.... and all this in the name of liberalism.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:01
    RBHILL - Had I seen you being a racist, that would have caused issue more than you being a Fundamentalist Christian. With the first, that would make you an asshole bigot. As an FC - You are just a narrow minded conservative who pushes his ideals onto others.
    How does RBHILL push his ideals onto others, lets say ... on you ?

How does he do this ?
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:07
    How does RBHILL push his ideals onto others, lets say ... on you ?

How does he do this ?
    I know, I have never pushed it on anyone. It is their chose, they are the ones that have to mouse in there hands.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It is their chose, they are the ones that have to mouse in there hands.
    I'm going to frame this one and put it on my wall. It's better than Nostradamus. And nobody's pushing me to, either.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:08
    RBHILL - Had I seen you being a racist, that would have caused issue more than you being a Fundamentalist Christian. With the first, that would make you an asshole bigot. As an FC - You are just a narrow minded conservative who pushes his ideals onto others.
    Well if you think Christians are close minded that is your own fault and oh'well is all I have to say about that .
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 20:09
    The usual bunch, guess who, is trying to upset you and trying to make you say things you don't want to say. The instruments they use are the familiar ones: Insults, provocations, insinuating and manipulating interrrogations, degrading actions, ridicule, etc etc.

.... and all this in the name of liberalism.
    You're absolutely disgusting and hypocritical to defend and excuse someone who used the word "nigger" in these forums. Have you no shame at all, Ivanhoe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree