1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 20:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I do not envy you, giving a funeral oration must be one of the most difficult public speeches to give because tone is everything. If you believe in your words your sincerity will shine through. Sincerity makes up even for a poor delivery because your audience will sense it. Use very succinct notes but use them, it should simply include the salient ...[text shortened]... don't focus on them too long. Consider your modulation as well. Keep it simple. Wish you well.
    Excellent to advice, thank you. I will also be MC of sorts, bringing others into the service to speak as arranged. My brother in law is leading the internment and I'm leading the service. 90 mins in total but we will all be pleased to get my Mum home with a cuppa 🙂
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes I can see that on returning to this thread. See my response to rwinget. I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I hope that is apparent from my posting here. However I believe that if I am asked to give an account of the faith I have then I am obligated to appropriately respond. This service will be light, upbeat, focused on my uncle (who was ...[text shortened]... n) and will be carried out under the instructions of his eldest daughter who I am liaising with.
    I figured that there had to be more to it. Didn't seem like going all GB on them and challenging everyone on their "eternal destination" would have been the best idea in the world.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 08:49
    I sometimes wonder what your particular brand of Christianity does for you. Why on earth does having a Christian message at a funeral mean it has to be about sadness and death.
    people don't need to be preached. non-christians as well as christians attending the funeral came to accompany the deceased one last time.

one should celebrate the one who died in a personal manner, not detach and just throw bible passages at the audience.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 08:50
    I sometimes wonder what your particular brand of Christianity does for you. Why on earth does having a Christian message at a funeral mean it has to be about sadness and death.
    "I sometimes wonder what your particular brand of Christianity does for you."
    it comforts me.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 09:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    people don't need to be preached. non-christians as well as christians attending the funeral came to accompany the deceased one last time.

one should celebrate the one who died in a personal manner, not detach and just throw bible passages at the audience.
    I missed the bit where divegeester said he would "throw bible passages at the audience". Which post led you to believe that was an option under consideration?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 10:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    I missed the bit where divegeester said he would "throw bible passages at the audience". Which post led you to believe that was an option under consideration?
    "Most of the mourners will not be Chrisitan, but some will. I was thinking of talking about the seed that falls into the ground, the light yoke and burden and something on repentance"
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 11:26

You are making a big assumption that you know what this service is going to be like.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 11:27
    "I sometimes wonder what your particular brand of Christianity does for you."
    it comforts me.
    And what does it do for other people?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 11:311 edit
    "Most of the mourners will not be Chrisitan, but some will. I was thinking of talking about the seed that falls into the ground, the light yoke and burden and something on repentance"
    How do you get from what I said to "throwing passages"? How do you know what people at the funeral want to here (in terms of me being asked to deliver something by my cousin)? How do you know how I may have been positioning these pieces and importantly for how long?

I've asked you several times over the years what you believe and why and you generally decline to discuss it. Christians are instructed to give an account for the hope/faith that is in them. Appropriately and when asked.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 14:32
    You are making a big assumption that you know what this service is going to be like.
    you asked for suggestions. you mentioned that some attendees will not be christians.

i gave you my suggestion. are you trying to convince me my idea was stupid? don't use it then
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 14:34
    And what does it do for other people?
    exactly what morality for atheists does for other people. keeps me from murdering them and stealing their stuff.

simply put, my christianity is morality with an invisible, non interfering friend.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 14:361 edit
    How do you get from what I said to "throwing passages"? How do you know what people at the funeral want to here (in terms of me being asked to deliver something by my cousin)? How do you know how I may have been positioning these pieces and importantly for how long?

I've asked you several times over the years what you believe and why and you gener ...[text shortened]... instructed to give an account for the hope/faith that is in them. Appropriately and when asked.
    "How do you get from what I said to "throwing passages"? "
    i was obviously exaggerating. you won't be throwing them. i am sure you will politely dispense each of them (and make atheists uncomfortable by quoting the bible)

"Christians are instructed to give an account for the hope/faith that is in them."
    in order to spread the message of jesus and help make the world a better place. in the past. today the message of jesus is readily available and in different forms. it's up to each to decide how to lead their lives.

"Appropriately and when asked"
    the atheist attendees of this funeral have not asked. they are there to honor the deceased. not get a sermon. they can get that on any sunday by attending a church
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 20:05
    you asked for suggestions. you mentioned that some attendees will not be christians.

i gave you my suggestion. are you trying to convince me my idea was stupid? don't use it then
    I'm not talking about your suggestions which were fine thank you. I'm talking about the assumption you made. As you well know.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 20:09
    the atheist attendees of this funeral have not asked. they are there to honor the deceased. not get a sermon. they can get that on any sunday by attending a church
    My commitment is to the immediate family and I am carrying out their wishes to the finest detail. My uncle was a vocal passionate Christian for most of his life so If there happens to be an atheist there to honor him I'm sure they will not get offended by his beliefs being magnified at his funeral by his immediate family, do you?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 10:11
    "How do you get from what I said to "throwing passages"? "
    i was obviously exaggerating. you won't be throwing them. i am sure you will politely dispense each of them (and make atheists uncomfortable by quoting the bible)

"Christians are instructed to give an account for the hope/faith that is in them."
    in order to spread the message of jesus and help ...[text shortened]... e to honor the deceased. not get a sermon. they can get that on any sunday by attending a church
    What makes you think quoting the bible will make atheists uncomfortable? (Especially when done at a funeral). I think that is to misunderstand both atheists and human beings.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree