1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 04:121 edit
    I've been asked to lead a funeral service for a Christian man. Most of the mourners will not be Chrisitan, but some will. I was thinking of talking about the seed that falls into the ground, the light yoke and burden and something on repentance. Any suggestions from christians would be welcome.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 07:101 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I've been asked to lead a funeral service for a Christian man. Most of the mourners will not be Chrisitan, but some will. I was thinking of talking about the seed that falls into the ground, the light yoke and burden and something on repentance. Any suggestions from christians would be welcome.
    I do not know if i qualify as a Christian in the orthodox sense but its my opinion that you should eulogize the person first and foremost and you should offer comfort and hope to the immediate family and by extension all those in attendance.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 07:27
    Tell three anecdotes, in which the departed is front and centre, that are - in some mixture and combination - touching, funny. thought provoking, and all in all, typical and defining ~ maybe with at least one of the anecdotes involving his/her church, Christian activity or beliefs/principles ~ and simply do not editorialize or attempt to draw any links between the stories or extract conclusions from them. Let your memories of the departed trigger everyone else's.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 08:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I do not know if i qualify as a Christian in the orthodox sense but its my opinion that you should eulogize the person first and foremost and you should offer comfort and hope to the immediate family and by extension all those in attendance.
    Yes, good over-reaching approach. I was a bit in the detail.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 08:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Tell three anecdotes, in which the departed is front and centre, that are - in some mixture and combination - touching, funny. thought provoking, and all in all, typical and defining ~ maybe with at least one of the anecdotes involving his/her church, Christian activity or beliefs/principles ~ and simply do not editorialize or attempt to draw any links between t ...[text shortened]... ies or extract conclusions from them. Let your memories of the departed trigger everyone else's.
    Good idea thanks.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 11:29
    Why do you need to prattle on about religion at all? Why not make your presentation about the deeds and character of the deceased man? I remember my grandfather's funeral where the preacher went on and on about Jesus, but scarcely mentioned my grandfather at all.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '15 11:34
    i think funerals should be about remembering the deceased fondly, not preaching something out of the bible.

one should celebrate life, not mourn death. there is enough sadness already
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 11:55
    This man's next waking moment will be in the presence of the Lord. he will be full of joy.
    I would try to think of ways this man inspired me and others in his life, positive things of course, and how he will be missed.
    I would concentrate on his love for his family and friends and how he would like to be remembered.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 12:25
    Do you plan on eulogizing or proselytizing? Going by what you've posted here, it seems like it might be the latter.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why do you need to prattle on about religion at all? Why not make your presentation about the deeds and character of the deceased man? I remember my grandfather's funeral where the preacher went on and on about Jesus, but scarcely mentioned my grandfather at all.
    The bereaved family who are not christians, asked for a Christian orientated funeral. They attended my father's funeral and found the spiritual and gospel themes to be something they enjoyed, so they asked if we (my family) could do something similar and if I could lead it. We would not be so presumptious to "prattle" on about something people did not want to hear about.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:08
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Do you plan on eulogizing or proselytizing? Going by what you've posted here, it seems like it might be the latter.
    Yes I can see that on returning to this thread. See my response to rwinget. I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I hope that is apparent from my posting here. However I believe that if I am asked to give an account of the faith I have then I am obligated to appropriately respond. This service will be light, upbeat, focused on my uncle (who was a Christian) and will be carried out under the instructions of his eldest daughter who I am liaising with.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:14
    Yes I can see that on returning to this thread. See my response to rwinget. I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I hope that is apparent from my posting here. However I believe that if I am asked to give an account of the faith I have then I am obligated to appropriately respond. This service will be light, upbeat, focused on my uncle (who was ...[text shortened]... n) and will be carried out under the instructions of his eldest daughter who I am liaising with.
    Hope all goes well old chap.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i think funerals should be about remembering the deceased fondly, not preaching something out of the bible.

one should celebrate life, not mourn death. there is enough sadness already
    I sometimes wonder what your particular brand of Christianity does for you. Why on earth does having a Christian message at a funeral mean it has to be about sadness and death.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hope all goes well old chap.
    Thank you!

There is various flavours of strife on the other side of the family so I'm hoping all does go well and the the emotional strain of the event does not provide an avenue for negativity.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '15 19:49
    Thank you!

There is various flavours of strife on the other side of the family so I'm hoping all does go well and the the emotional strain of the event does not provide an avenue for negativity.
    I do not envy you, giving a funeral oration must be one of the most difficult public speeches to give because tone is everything. If you believe in your words your sincerity will shine through. Sincerity makes up even for a poor delivery because your audience will sense it. Use very succinct notes but use them, it should simply include the salient points that you want to make. Leave plenty of room for extemporaneous delivery. Look at individuals in the audience as if you were talking to them on a one to one basis, but don't focus on them too long. Consider your modulation as well. Keep it simple. Wish you well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree