1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '15 22:50
    http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-artifacts/inscriptions/the-gabriel-stone-on-display/

This article, discussing the inscription “Gabriel’s Revelation,” was originally published on Dr. James Tabor’s popular Taborblog, a site that discusses and reports on “‘All things biblical’ from the Hebrew Bible to Early Christianity in the Roman World and Beyond.” Bible History Daily republished the article with consent of the author. Visit Taborblog today, or scroll down to read a brief bio of James Tabor below.

Many of my regular blog readers know all about the so-called “Gabriel stone” and its intriguing references, as argued by Prof. Israel Knohl, to raising a corpse “after three days.” I have several blog posts dealing with this topic that you can access here: “Suffering Messiahs and Resurrection after Three Days.”

The stone itself is currently on display in Jerusalem at the Israel Museum:

JERUSALEM (AP) — An ancient limestone tablet covered with a mysterious Hebrew text that features the archangel Gabriel is at the center of a new exhibit in Jerusalem, even as scholars continue to argue about what it means.

The so-called Gabriel Stone, a meter (three-foot)-tall tablet said to have been found 13 years ago on the banks of the Dead Sea, features 87 lines of an unknown prophetic text dated as early as the first century BC, at the time of the Second Jewish Temple.

Scholars see it as a portal into the religious ideas circulating in the Holy Land in the era when was Jesus was born. Its form is also unique — it is ink written on stone, not carved — and no other such religious text has been found in the region.

Curators at the Israel Museum, where the first exhibit dedicated to the stone is opening Wednesday, say it is the most important document found in the area since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

What is not so well known is that Professor Knohl has changed his mind about the transliteration, and thus the translation, of the key line 80 in the text that he had previously argued talked about resurrection of the dead after three days:

By three days–live, I Gabriel command you, prince of princes, the dung of rocky crevices.”

In a paper given at a 2009 conference at Rice University on the Gabriel Stone, now published in the conference volume as, “The Apocalyptic Dimensions of the Gabriel Revelation in Their Historical Context,” Knohl says he was mistaken in his original reading.[1] Knohl still maintains that the text was “composed shortly after 4 B.C.E.” by “followers of the messianic leader Simon, who was killed in Transjordan in 4 B.C.E.,” which is where the stone was probably found. He continues to see it as an example of what he calls “catastrophic messianism” where a slain Messiah gives a new/holy covenant to Israel. What he now doubts is that the text speaks of “making the dead live after three days.” Following the readings of Yardeni and Elizur he accepts as the translation for line 80:

In three days the sign will be (given). I am Gabriel

The critical word that Knohl once read as a verb, “to make live” (חאיה) now is read as the noun “sign” (האות). On the whole, however, his overall interpretation is the same and if he is correct the text continues to have great significance for our understanding of “messianism” among late 2nd Temple Jewish groups.

Though I greatly respect Knohl’s integrity in so freely changing his mind I am not convinced that this alternative reading is necessarily correct. Unfortunately the text is faded at this point, and even after subjecting it to a battery of scientific tests designed to enhance its clarity, it may be that we will never know with certainty how it should be read.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 06:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-artifacts/inscriptions/the-gabriel-stone-on-display/

This article, discussing the inscription “Gabriel’s Revelation,” was originally published on Dr. James Tabor’s popular Taborblog, a site that discusses and reports on “‘All things biblical’ from the Hebrew Bible to Early Christianity in the Roman World a ...[text shortened]... to enhance its clarity, it may be that we will never know with certainty how it should be read.
    I couldn't get to the point you a badly making here; and besides you lost me completely when you felt the need to explain how long a meter is.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '15 23:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I couldn't get to the point you a badly making here; and besides you lost me completely when you felt the need to explain how long a meter is.
    This is the earliest evidence of the story of the Messiah who died and was resurrected, dating it back to the time of Jesus.

This pretty much drives a nail in the coffin of those who claimed Paul created the Christian faith.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 01:34
    This is the earliest evidence of the story of the Messiah who died and was resurrected, dating it back to the time of Jesus.

This pretty much drives a nail in the coffin of those who claimed Paul created the Christian faith.
    Come off it. The thing is consistent with all the what would now be termed millennial groups around at the time. Pauline Christianity was a sales pitch to the Romans. Acts records the displeasure of the Jewish Christians at what he had done to their religion. I really do not think that you've provided evidence that "Christianity is not a creation of Paul.".
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 01:411 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Come off it. The thing is consistent with all the what would now be termed millennial groups around at the time. Pauline Christianity was a sales pitch to the Romans. Acts records the displeasure of the Jewish Christians at what he had done to their religion. I really do not think that you've provided evidence that "Christianity is not a creation of Paul.".
    It obviously was not created by Paul

At best you could say that Paul simply grabbed the story and ran with it.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 02:04
    Surely, without the kind of institution and ideology building that Paul and others did, then what you would have had is Judaism carrying on as usual having rejected claims that Jesus was the awaited messiah... which is what we have now, except there is Christianity - which started out by recruiting Jews - through the efforts of Paul to create something for them to join.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '15 22:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Surely, without the kind of institution and ideology building that Paul and others did, then what you would have had is Judaism carrying on as usual having rejected claims that Jesus was the awaited messiah... which is what we have now, except there is Christianity - which started out by recruiting Jews - through the efforts of Paul to create something for them to join.
    Without question Paul played an important role in evangelism. How important he was is only speculative. My point here is to show that what he was preaching came well before he was converted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree