1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 11:24
    Can anyone speak on it? Has this been a common mis-translation of the words of Yeshua/Jesus?
  2. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 12:18
    I can't say I know a lot about it, but you have piqued my interest.

The wikipedia article on 'hell' goes into quite a bit of detail about how multiple Greek words got translated into a single English word.

The same thing happened with the word 'love'. Interestingly enough, I've heard many times about the different Greek words for 'love', but I can't recall any preacher going into the details of 'hell'.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 13:40
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I can't say I know a lot about it, but you have piqued my interest.

The wikipedia article on 'hell' goes into quite a bit of detail about how multiple Greek words got translated into a single English word.

The same thing happened with the word 'love'. Interestingly enough, I've heard many times about the different Greek words for 'love', but I can't recall any preacher going into the details of 'hell'.
    Not surprisingly, most of the Google hits return a decidedly Christian perspective, complete with misinterpreted information regarding pagan child sacrifices and such. Even the Wiki article seems slightly bent.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 14:09
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Was there a difference between the Greek hells and the Jewish sheol? I've read that wiki and other articles a number of times but there's something missing...
  5. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 22:17
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Was there a difference between the Greek hells and the Jewish sheol? I've read that wiki and other articles a number of times but there's something missing...
    I'm not sure that the wiki article is trying to give a clear answer on that, it's presenting the information about the words and leaving you to make up your own mind about what words meant - eg was gehenna purely literal or did it have symbolic value.

What it does for me is make me want to read the relevant passages in the New Testament while being aware of the issue, and find out which word was used where.

Just to be clear, we're not talking about 'Greek' hells. We're talking about the use of the Greek language to communicate Jewish notions. There's no guarantee that when the translators of the Septuagint used "Hades" as a translation of "Sheol" that the ideas lined up precisely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree