1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:04
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What if they are neither lost nor found, so to speak?
    One is either lost or found. No gray area.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    Thanks for responding to Kirksey. You might say that you "saved" him from thinking. 😛
    If I could save you from thinking, then I might consider myself a “master.”
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:14
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Reality, as it is, is before our conceptualizations of it. I do not think we can get behind our own perceptions (how our brain interprets the sense data it receives), but we can experience the “Real” before our ideas, concepts, words. (And, then again, perhaps I have not yet gotten deep enough.)

That is, for me, the bedrock—whether “Zen” or not.

Fran ...[text shortened]... experience that is, for me, the measure of whatever truth there may be in various speculations.
    You have reminded me of an experience I remember as a child. It's very difficult to describe. It's more of a memory of a mind set. Before I actually knew anything. It's like a profound sense of peace and well being. Everything seemed to be in harmony. I think it was an awareness of the pure reality that eventually became buried by the confusion.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:20
    I have a wonderful story about the night we went to the Snyder reading—my (future at the time) wife “beached” her Geo Metro on a curb in the parking lot, and a buddy of mine and I had to leave the auditorium to rescue it. Just made it back in time for the reading.

I asked Snyder to read his poem about repairing the ‘55 Willys (I can’t recall the proper title), but he said it was too long.
    Ah, sounds like good times.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    I can see that you are a prime candidate for getting lost.
    Now get lost.
    Well, to what would I be opening myself up? What are your permanent self and Jesus going to be doing for all eternity? Yahtzee? Naked twister?
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:21
    You have reminded me of an experience I remember as a child. It's very difficult to describe. It's more of a memory of a mind set. Before I actually knew anything. It's like a profound sense of peace and well being. Everything seemed to be in harmony. I think it was an awareness of the pure reality that eventually became buried by the confusion.
    Yep.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:241 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Ah, sounds like good times.
    Oh, yes. For those who think that life somehow shrinks with age, I was about 40 at the time.

The 16 years from then have been the very best.

I am serious about Snyder's Zen: he is no dillitante.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:35
    I am serious about Snyder's Zen: he is no dillitante.
    I know it. I read a book that chronicled the Zen appreciation and development of both Snyder and Kerouac. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I cannot recall the title off the top of my head.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:35
    It has been said that in order to get someone saved you have to first get them lost. No one can be saved unless they have had the experience of knowing they were in need of the saviour.

So, get lost! Then you too can have the experience of knowing you have eternal life. 🙂
    Those who are miserable and looking for someone to save them often will grasp at anything they are offered.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:38
    Well, to what would I be opening myself up? What are your permanent self and Jesus going to be doing for all eternity? Yahtzee? Naked twister?
    More than you'll be doing. So hurry up and get lost. Jesus is looking for you.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Those who are miserable and looking for someone to save them often will grasp at anything they are offered.
    That's nice. Now go get lost. Jesus is looking for you too.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:431 edit
    I know it. I read a book that chronicled the Zen appreciation and development of both Snyder and Kerouac. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I cannot recall the title off the top of my head.
    Have you read his account of a sesshin at Shokoko-ji? I have a reference if you want. (Seriously, I think I have just about everything between bindings by Snyder up to The Practice of the Wild. Also, a good bit of Merwin, who is/was also into Zen—and who is my odds-up for poet between the two: I am always more into the lyricist, as opposed to the imagist, though Snyder bridges the two.)

Am a bit shot tonight, so forgive my egoistic reminiscing.

After all, as Hafiz said, the poets are the “lifeboats.”

EDIT: Have you read Kerouac's On the Road? "Japhy Ryder" in that book is Gary Snyder.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:44
    Yep.
    I once heard an old cowboy say that.
    Or was it "yup?"
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:45
    More than you'll be doing. So hurry up and get lost. Jesus is looking for you.
    Wait, so Jesus is already looking for me even though I am not yet lost?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:49
    Have you read his account of a sesshin at Shokoko-ji? I have a reference if you want. (Seriously, I think I have just about everything between bindings by Snyder up to The Practice of the Wild. Also, a good bit of Merwin, who is/was also into Zen—and who is my odds-up for poet between the two: I am always more into the lyricist, as opposed to the i ...[text shortened]... ave you read Kerouac's On the Road? "Japhy Ryder" in that book is Gary Snyder.
    Jesus is like a lifeboat. He can keep you from drowning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree