1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Sep '13 18:10
    Last night our neighbors took us to a performance of the above group at the SF Jazz Center. They were 80-strong, doing gospel, spiritual, blues, no dusty old hymns. Very lively upbeat and positive. Hope, faith, lift us up, lots of solos. Standing audiences clapping and dancing too. Backed by an 8 piece jazz band -- keyboards, horns, guitars, drums. LGBT. Great stuff.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    21 Sep '13 18:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    Last night our neighbors took us to a performance of the above group at the SF Jazz Center. They were 80-strong, doing gospel, spiritual, blues, no dusty old hymns. Very lively upbeat and positive. Hope, faith, lift us up, lots of solos. Standing audiences clapping and dancing too. Backed by an 8 piece jazz band -- keyboards, horns, guitars, drums. LGBT. Great stuff.
    Sounds as if the four of you had a wonderful, late evening; thoughtful neighbors are to be prized.
    One question: "Hope, faith, lift us up, lots of solos." "Hope" for and "faith" in what or whom?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Sep '13 18:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Sounds as if the four of you had a wonderful, late evening; thoughtful neighbors are to be prized.
    One question: "Hope, faith, lift us up, lots of solos." "Hope" for and "faith" in what or whom?
    "...affiliated with the United Methodist Church" (Wikipedia)
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    21 Sep '13 19:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    "...affiliated with the United Methodist Church" (Wikipedia)
    Oh, so that phrase originates in their literature as a description of these
    social events. Thanks. Do either of your neighbors play chess online?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Sep '13 20:042 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Oh, so that phrase originates in their literature as a description of these
    social events. Thanks. Do either of your neighbors play chess online?
    I suppose it would originate there, but I think they would not describe the occasion of usage to be a social event... but what do I know?

    No, they have dogs instead.

    (The people we know who have dogs need little more in life.)
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    21 Sep '13 20:273 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I suppose it would originate there, but I think they would not describe the occasion of usage to be a social event... but what do I know?

    No, they have dogs instead.

    (The people we know who have dogs need little more in life.)
    "... a performance of the above group at the SF Jazz Center" suggested an informal social occasion. Do you remember "Texas Songbird" from my RHP Profile? Well, she just purchased an $1,800 one pound, month old puppy. She has also invested another $1,200 in a bed, playpen, clothing, accessories and grooming items which include Little Girl Puppy Perfume. lol According to the Veterinarian, it will gain weight if fed properly for a total of 4 months to 3.5 lbs. Linda sings to Chloe and loves her like a child. Your neighbors would most likely approve. [Bobby don't though he understands. lol]
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Sep '13 21:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "... a performance of the above group at the SF Jazz Center" suggested an informal social occasion. Do you remember "Texas Songbird" from my RHP Profile? Well, she just purchased an $1,800 one pound, month old puppy. She has also invested another $1,200 in a bed, playpen, clothing, accessories and grooming items which include Little Girl Puppy Perfume. ...[text shortened]... a child. Your neighbors would most likely approve. [Bobby don't though he understands. lol]
    Another neighbor had a dog die recently. The neighbor is dealing with cancer and while quite mentally acute and sociable, has a somewhat limited life. He readily admits that Jake was the center of his life. Jake showed up on Bruce's doorstep 12 years ago. Bruce was the only dog person in the neighborhood who didn't have a dog due to another loss, and along came Jake, abandoned.

    I'd call it a formal social occasion although not black tie. It was a benefit. There was much in the way of worshipful gestures. they recorded the event for a CD and were showing off their new gowns too.

    Maybe you recognize some of these titles from the program: A mighty long way, Ain't God good, Full time god, God is, King Jesus. Rollaway the rock, Wade in the water, Yes there is hope.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    21 Sep '13 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Another neighbor had a dog die recently. The neighbor is dealing with cancer and while quite mentally acute and sociable, has a somewhat limited life. He readily admits that Jake was the center of his life. Jake showed up on Bruce's doorstep 12 years ago. Bruce was the only dog person in the neighborhood who didn't have a dog due to another loss, and along cam Full time god, God is, King Jesus. Rollaway the rock, Wade in the water, Yes there is hope.
    Thanks, JS. Nice to catch a personal glimpse of those you think you know online on a quiet Saturday afternoon.
Back to Top