1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '06 23:57
    Originally posted by kiitos
    I could have misunderstood. You just seemed so opposed to me calling the torah the OT. And thought i was "privileging Christianity".
    Calling the Torah the OT does privilege Christianity. Saying this does not reflect hatred of Christianity. Even Christians can recognize that Christian lingo is not normative for all people. When you are referring to the sacred texts of the Jewish faith, you should not assume the language of Christianity, otherwise you are guaranteed to distort that about which you speak.
  2. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:00
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Calling the Torah the OT does privilege Christianity. Saying this does not reflect hatred of Christianity. Even Christians can recognize that Christian lingo is not normative for all people. When you are referring to the sacred texts of the Jewish faith, you should not assume the language of Christianity, otherwise you are guaranteed to distort that about which you speak.
    And i will say once again, that is why i said the torah also. I'm still struggling to understand why i can't call it the OT at all. It's sacred texts of the Jewish faith, true, which is why i called it the torah. However, it is also sacred to Christianity, and in Christianity it is called the Old Testament. I was considering both parties.

The reason i assumed that you had a problem with Christianity is that you were saying i couldn't refer to it as the Old Testament at all.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 01:20
    And i will say once again, that is why i said the torah also. I'm still struggling to understand why i can't call it the OT at all. It's sacred texts of the Jewish faith, true, which is why i called it the torah. However, it is also sacred to Christianity, and in Christianity it is called the Old Testament. I was considering both parties.

The reason i ass ...[text shortened]... ith Christianity is that you were saying i couldn't refer to it as the Old Testament at all.
    Jesus referred to the Torah; Christians refer to the Old Testament. This distinction seems to get lost by many people.
  4. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 04:45
    Jesus referred to the Torah; Christians refer to the Old Testament. This distinction seems to get lost by many people.
    I fear then that we're never going to be able to understand each other. But then, that is the beauty of internet forums, no?
  5. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 04:59
    I fear then that we're never going to be able to understand each other. But then, that is the beauty of internet forums, no?
    no love, no hate, no emotions, just a figment of the imagination, no?
    intelect...yes. praise the name of Jesus. welcome to my brain!
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 06:49
    You understand perfectly.
  7. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 09:51
    You understand perfectly.
    enjoy your box!
  8. England
    Moves
    18 Feb '06 14:14
    their, not there

Jews do not call it the Old Testament. That term assumes Christian theology.
    thank you for the corrrection. i admit to speaking from a christian term and given the OT from this but would not try to offend just speak as i know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree