1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 16:22
    What are the known reason's for God needing, and demanding worship. It seems sort of odd that the creator of the universe would desire worship. That appears to be more of a human trait than a God like one.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 19:15
    Originally posted by buckky
    What are the known reason's for God needing, and demanding worship. It seems sort of odd that the creator of the universe would desire worship. That appears to be more of a human trait than a God like one.
    It depends on the type of God you invision. For example, if the type of God you invision is responsible for giving you life and everything you are, then perhaps a thank you is in order. If this God is responsible for passing down blessing after blessing in your life then perhaps you should give credit where credit is due? In addition, if this God has granted you life eternal without the prospect of ever dying eternally then perhaps mere worship does not go far enough?
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 20:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    It depends on the type of God you invision. For example, if the type of God you invision is responsible for giving you life and everything you are, then perhaps a thank you is in order. If this God is responsible for passing down blessing after blessing in your life then perhaps you should give credit where credit is due? In addition, if this God has grant ...[text shortened]... l without the prospect of ever dying eternally then perhaps mere worship does not go far enough?
    I agree with you on all points. I'm talking about God's need for worship. You might want to offer thanks, but it still seems that God would not need or really want worship. It's more of a human need than that of a God. Of course I have no first hand knowledge of what a God wants or needs, but seems that such a powerful being would be way beyond the worship thing. I could be dead wrong.
  4. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 21:00
    I agree with you on all points. I'm talking about God's need for worship. You might want to offer thanks, but it still seems that God would not need or really want worship. It's more of a human need than that of a God. Of course I have no first hand knowledge of what a God wants or needs, but seems that such a powerful being would be way beyond the worship thing. I could be dead wrong.
    you have to wait until you ARE dead to see if you're wrong -- by that time I doubt your eyesight will be quite what it is now.

Maybe that's the whole point right there.

What you cannot envision (note the correct spelling) you cannot observe.

If you cannot observe something, does it exist other than as a thought?

Why do dogs lie on their backs for the alpha dog and expose their vitals?

What, you really think we're all that much superior to dogs? True, we don't taste as good, or smell as well as they do, but we're supposed to be a lot smarter -- yet we lie there, belly up, and we can't even SEE the alpha dog.

That's sort of the elephant in the room, you know.
  5. Joined
    27 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 21:18
    What is worship? Isn't it simply a specified way of communicating?
    God created us out of an expression of His love. Love is nothing if it's not shared. He created us to have fellowship with Him. He wants us to worship Him so we remember to create that relationship with Him.
    Why does He need/want a relationship with us? You'll have to ask Him, I don't know. But I do know that's His desire for us today.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 02:55
    So how does it make you feel when you go out of your way to help someone and they do not even say thank you? In fact, what if they were ungrateful and spit in your face? Would you not get angry? All I can say is, give thanks and praise to who it is due, otherwise, there is inequity in it.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 03:102 edits
    Perhaps the question you are really asking is this: Does God have an ego? Is that what you mean by 'human trait'?

Seems like most of your responses thus far would indicate, "Yes". Have to wonder if their God has been created in their own image.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 03:26
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Perhaps the question you are really asking is this: Does God have an ego? Is that what you mean by 'human trait'?

Seems like most of your responses thus far would indicate, "Yes". Have to wonder if their God has been created in their own image.
    So you are of the opinion that God does not require nor desire our praise?
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 08:36
    Originally posted by TheScrawnyPawn
    What is worship? Isn't it simply a specified way of communicating?
    God created us out of an expression of His love. Love is nothing if it's not shared. He created us to have fellowship with Him. He wants us to worship Him so we remember to create that relationship with Him.
    Why does He need/want a relationship with us? You'll have to ask Him, I don't know. But I do know that's His desire for us today.
    I think you're right on the money there.
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 10:11
    I thought “god” was supposed to be “all-powerful”?

So, if there was such a “all-powerful god”, although I don’t see any obvious logical inconsistency in him “desiring our praise”, how could he possibly “require our praise”?
    -I mean, surely this implies that we would “help” god (as opposed to merely pleasing him) in some way by “our praise”. But, if he is “all-powerful” then surely that means he doesn’t require our “help” for anything -right?
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 10:37
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I thought “god” was supposed to be “all-powerful”?

So, if there was such a “all-powerful god”, although I don’t see any obvious logical inconsistency in him “desiring our praise”, how could he possibly “require our praise”?
    -I mean, surely this implies that we would “help” god (as opposed to merely pleasing him) in some way by “our praise”. But, ...[text shortened]... f he is “all-powerful” then surely that means he doesn’t require our “help” for anything -right?
    Needing to comunicate isn't a weekness.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 12:50
    Looking at the teachings of Jesus, it seems that one is to live a life of truth, love, humility, compassion, justice, etc. In fact to be the essence of truth, love, humility, compassion, justice, etc.

"Praise" is what is offered as a substitute in an attempt to curry favor with God.
  13. Illinois
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 17:431 edit
    It's not that God needs our worship, or, for that matter, anything from us. The reason God demands worship is because of man's propensity to worship anything except God (i.e., false idols, false gods, money, power, etc.). Since God created man in His own image, it is a form of degradation for a man to worship anything except God Himself; worship of God is proper to man's exalted position in God's creation.

There is one other thing to consider: that God as He is in Himself inspires worship; i.e., that God is worthy of worship. He is the most wonderful and gracious Being in all eternity; an inexhaustible source of goodness, love, joy, peace, and light; endlessly creative, infinitely holy, containing in Himself all wisdom, humor, compassion, and power. Worshipping God isn't an empty sign of allegiance, as some might imagine it, but rather a state of being infused with the inexhaustible depths of His Being - the overflow of which in our hearts we call "worship."

Worship of anything worldly is really lust, and is a sign that one is not yet "born of God". In a sense, we were made to worship. And, until we are "born again", we worship anything else besides God - because it is our nature. God's command condemns our worship of worldly things (or ideals), and calls us instead to discover what we were truly made for, i.e., life in Him.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 19:19
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Looking at the teachings of Jesus, it seems that one is to live a life of truth, love, humility, compassion, justice, etc. In fact to be the essence of truth, love, humility, compassion, justice, etc.

"Praise" is what is offered as a substitute in an attempt to curry favor with God.
    How would you explain Christ riding into Jerusalem on a donkey on Palm Sunday as on lookers offer their praise? Christ then says in Luke 19:40, "I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 20:21
    How would you explain Christ riding into Jerusalem on a donkey on Palm Sunday as on lookers offer their praise? Christ then says in Luke 19:40, "I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."
    In your mind, this indicates that "praise" is what Jesus seeks? You choose to infer that from that verse? I guess desperation clouds the judgement of many.

Luke 6:46
    "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"

John 14:21
    "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me"

Matthew 7:21
    "Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree