God at his best.

God at his best.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
09 Apr 06

Originally posted by Sratpam
How has god effected your life?

He has effected my life since as long as I can.
???????????????????????

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
09 Apr 06

Originally posted by rwingett
It's a simple case of misattribution. People change their lives in every culture and in every belief system every day. There is no reason to assume Jesus or god are involved in the process. People are capable of some amazing things all on their own, or with a little help from their friends and family. It may be the case that someone's belief in god helped t ...[text shortened]... the ultimate cause of everything, or he is the cause of nothing. You can't pick and choose.
...and of course you are sure this 'placebo' effect can never be the real eternal God effecting people's lives. Even if God was real you would still attribute it to 'placebo' ...as you say,...it's all about attribution...would you know the difference between a 'placebo' effect and a real one?

I find your idea of 'all on their own' fascinating. I would hazzard a guess you are a hard determinist so what does the concept of 'all on their own' mean? Do you believe in free will and autonomy by any chance? If not than that change must be caused by something not attributable to that person. You don't fully understand theism , you could not even debate on this forum unless God made it possible for you to do so.
But you are right ...God should take the blame...he should take all the blame infact..he should have all that badness put upon him instead of us....he should suffer and suffer big time....if there was any justice he'd bung himself on a cross and be crucified !!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
09 Apr 06

Originally posted by knightmeister
...and of course you are sure this 'placebo' effect can never be the real eternal God effecting people's lives. Even if God was real you would still attribute it to 'placebo' ...as you say,...it's all about attribution...would you know the difference between a 'placebo' effect and a real one?

I find your idea of 'all on their own' fascinating. I wou ...[text shortened]... time....if there was any justice he'd bung himself on a cross and be crucified !!
Placebo effects have been documented. God has not. Therefore, which is more likely?

Unlike some people on this forum, I have very little interest in free will. Whether it exists, in and of itself, is of little concern to me. But I am convinced that freewill cannot exist in conjunction with an omniscient and omnipotent god. God is either the cause of everything, including all good and evil, or he is the cause of nothing. There can be no in between.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Apr 06

Originally posted by knightmeister
[b...would you know the difference between a 'placebo' effect and a real one?[/b]
Yes I do know the difference and have no doubt at all that it is the placebo effect in action. Although theists can always concoct explanations for these, here are a few indications that a placebo effect is acting:
- There is no noticable difference between religions in terms of the effect.
- Much of the effect is only visible to the theist, ie if an outsider does a study on it the results show much less of an effect than apparently observed by the theist.
- There are a significant number of exceptions ie people who do not benefit from the 'placebo'

S

Moves
12 Apr 06

........... God is either the ultimate cause of everything, or he is the cause of nothing. You can't pick and choose.[/b]
God has effect on a lot of things. He effects peoples lives everyday, but he has also given people the wright of free will. We can effect our own lives. Sometimes God will give a little push toward the right direction. we can choose to accept or take it. You can not shorten god to one thing or another. He is many things and people. he is not the cause of everything, but still causes a lot of things to happen. God is amazing because of all that he has done.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Apr 06

God has effect on a lot of things. He effects peoples lives everyday, but he has also given people the wright of free will. We can effect our own lives. Sometimes God will give a little push toward the right direction. we can choose to accept or take it. You can not shorten god to one thing or another. He is many things and people. he is not the cause ...[text shortened]... ng, but still causes a lot of things to happen. God is amazing because of all that he has done.
Free will is incompatible with an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent deity.

S

Moves
13 Apr 06

God is amazing. If you have ever felt what i have felt you would be a true believer and if you have seen how he has effected peoples lives you would be true believer.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Free will is incompatible with an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent deity.
I think for all intents and purposes... agreed.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Apr 06

God is amazing. If you have ever felt what i have felt you would be a true believer and if you have seen how he has effected peoples lives you would be true believer.
Have you ever tried Marijuana? I heard it can be great. If you have ever felt what marijuana feels like you would be a true believer and if you have seen how he has effected peoples lives you would be true believer.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Apr 06

How has god effected your life?

He has effected my life since as long as I can.
Answer me this: Exactly what do you imagine your god to be, physically? Why is your god a he? Why would an omnicient god NEED to have a sex? If there is only one of them why would it need to be referred to as a 'He' all the time?

7 edits

The moral highground

Moves
14 Apr 06

He isconsiderd a he because thats easy for people to understand.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Apr 06

Originally posted by Brother Edwin
He isconsiderd a he because thats easy for people to understand.
Don't you mean you and the other religious freaks know that casting a god in familiar terms makes it easier to get control of their minds which is what you are ulitmately after?

S

Moves
16 Apr 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
Answer me this: Exactly what do you imagine your god to be, physically? Why is your god a he? Why would an omnicient god NEED to have a sex? If there is only one of them why would it need to be referred to as a 'He' all the time?
God is considered a he because when he sent his son down born as a human Jesus would always consider God as his father, not mother. In truth it does not matter what gender god is he or she is amazing and being a woman or man. God probally does not have a gender. He is a general name to call God.

S

Moves
19 Apr 06

Never forget that God is amazing.