1. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 20:37
    According to most religions God created the earth. He created life, most think he created afterlife.

But why did he go beyond earth? Why a ever exploding star to keep us warm? Why 9 planets in our solarsystem?

Why a ever expanding galaxy?
  2. Club 64
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 20:40
    The Lord works in mysterious ways...
  3. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 20:452 edits
    Originally posted by Ironstar
    The Lord works in mysterious ways...
    Well I see no need in beeing mysterious. But that is another discussion.

Let me see if I get your response wright.
    Your reply is:
    "I don't know why, but I do know he did create everything."
  4. Club 64
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 20:501 edit
    Originally posted by MetBierOp
    Well I see no need in beeing mysterious. But that is another discussion.

Let me see if I get your response wright.
    Your reply is:
    "I don't know why, but I do know he did create everything."
    You got it...we don't know God's intentions...it could be to keep us entertained...who knows?
  5. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by Ironstar
    You got it...we don't know God's intentions...it could be to keep us entertained...who knows?
    I most say as bored as I was with your first response (sorry).

I like the second "...it could be to keep us entertained..." 😀

You are wright.
    Why care?
    I'm off for a beer now. Cheers.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 21:05
    Watch. When he comes back from his beer he'll even be more thirsty.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '07 21:20

Why care?
    I'm off for a beer now. Cheers.
    now you get it. 😀
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 13:25
    According to most religions God created the earth. He created life, most think he created afterlife.

But why did he go beyond earth? Why a ever exploding star to keep us warm? Why 9 planets in our solarsystem?

Why a ever expanding galaxy?
    This site may be of interest to you.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

In essence, it argues that if the Big Bang had been altered in any way we would not be here today. With such a view, the universe could be seen as a life support mechanism for life on earth. Take the moon for example. If it were not in place, the earth would spin on its axis differently, thus creating havoc for our stable climate. The giant gas planets such as Jupitor and Saturn act as shields against incoming space debree. If they were not there the earth would suffer greater bombardment from space debree and perhaps we would not be here as a result.
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 13:342 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    This site may be of interest to you.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

In essence, it argues that if the Big Bang had been altered in any way we would not be here today. With such a view, the universe could be seen as a life support mechanism for life on earth. Take the moon for example. If it were not in place, the earth would s ...[text shortened]... would suffer greater bombardment from space debree and perhaps we would not be here as a result.
    Aah...
    This is like the argument that goes:

"Isn't it remarkable that fish have gills & live in the water.
    If they had to breathe air out of water they would suffocate & die!"

I think you have your basic premise the wrong way round.

We have evolved to utilise what we can in our environment. There is plenty of evidence to prove this, such as the fossil record.
    I accept that God may have created the fossil record to delude us into thinking that we evolved over several million years into modern Man.

You cannot prove that the Universe was created for the benefit of a tiny planet in one remote corner of one of millions of spiral galaxies, each galaxy containing hundreds of thousands of stars.

The environment hasn't been changed/created for our benefit.

At least you are aware of the relative un-likelihood of our existence.
    For instance, if a different sperm had fertilised your mother's egg, you wouldn't even exist to write that wonderfully informative post.
    Keep up the good work, adding to the gene pool. 🙄
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 14:241 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Aah...
    This is like the argument that goes:

"Isn't it remarkable that fish have gills & live in the water.
    If they had to breathe air out of water they would suffocate & die!"

I think you have your basic premise the wrong way round.

We have evolved to utilise what we can in our environment. There is plenty of eviden ite that wonderfully informative post.
    Keep up the good work, adding to the gene pool. 🙄
    I don't argue the fossil record. I do not find it heretical to scripture so you can save this for someone who does find it heretical.

What is certain, however, is that scientifically, the Big Bang had to have occured just as it did or we would not be here. Any alteration in the Bang would have caused us to not be here. There is no disputing this fact. Also, what were the products of the Big Bang? Was it not the universe we have now? Therefore, if we were but one star short or one atom short of what constituted the Big Bang we would not be here.
  11. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 14:372 edits
    ...the Big Bang had to have occured just as it did or we would not be here. Any alteration in the Bang would have caused us to not be here. There is no disputing this fact.
    Yes but I'm saying it's a redundant argument.

Like my example - if fish had to live out of water, the same oxygen that they need in small amounts extracted from h20 would suffocate them to death in larger doses.

Do you not understand the reasoning?

We are here as a result of a sequence of events stemming from an unimaginably sudden & explosive singularity that flung hydrogen, helium, lithium & deuterium outward into what we now understand as the Universe which occured around 13.7 bn years ago.
    There's plenty of testable proof for the Big Bang Theory.

Fine if you agree with Big Bang theory - most leading cosmologists would agree with you.
    As to questions regarding what caused the event to happen; well that is pure speculation.

Religious dogmatic minds say "hey we already know the answer". Scientific rationalists say "we don't know, but we're working on it".

That is the difference between a closed mind & an open one.
  12. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 18:59
    Douglas Adams once put it this way:

"...because when we make things we do it with the intention of doing something with them, early man asks himself , 'If he [God] made it, what did he make it for?' Now the real trap springs, because early man is thinking, 'This world fits me very well. Here are all these things that support me and feed me and look after me; yes, this world fits me nicely' and he reaches the inescapable conclusion that whoever made it, made it for him.

This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'"

--

Yes, probably if you changed very much at all in the Big Bang, the subsequent history of the universe would have been changed so much that humans would not have evolved. But it is likely that other life would have evolved. The important point is that life molds itself to its environment, not the other way around. The reason life on Earth coexists harmoniously with the environment in which it exists is not that the environment was tuned to have that specific type of life in it, but because life adapted to the environment it found itself in.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 01:18
    I don't argue the fossil record. I do not find it heretical to scripture so you can save this for someone who does find it heretical.

What is certain, however, is that scientifically, the Big Bang had to have occured just as it did or we would not be here. Any alteration in the Bang would have caused us to not be here. There is no disputing this fact. ...[text shortened]... ere but one star short or one atom short of what constituted the Big Bang we would not be here.
    But this doesn't really tell us anything that startling.
    So the Big Bang had to happen just right. So what?
    If I hadn't put on my blue top this morning, I wouldn't be wearing it later today. Wow, that's amazing? Not.
    If I had stepped on to the road a second earlier I'd be dead? So what?
    The universe is as it is.
    We're here.
    In another universe we might not be, or there might be some other sort of life form marveling at their existence.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 01:37

What is certain, however, is that scientifically, the Big Bang had to have occured just as it did or we would not be here. Any alteration in the Bang would have caused us to not be here. There is no disputing this fact. ...[text shortened]... ere but one star short or one atom short of what constituted the Big Bang we would not be here.
    That's not a fact. That's a speculation, or hypothesis. You're asserting "facts" that are not facts.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 02:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's not a fact. That's a speculation, or hypothesis. You're asserting "facts" that are not facts.
    Did you read the web site?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree