1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 09:481 edit
    When we walk past a flower or,say, a cloud, we do not exclaim 'i believe in this flower!' . we merely percieve it the way we percieve it. So why believe in anything?, surely all this 'belief' just leads to more strife
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '09 11:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    When we walk past a flower or,say, a cloud.....
    I wish you'd walk past a cloud.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 11:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I wish you'd walk past a cloud.
    yep...ok,did you actually want me to reply to that? i walked past a few clo(u)ds today. I still reckon your funny but where are you going with this? if you want me to leave it alone ,just ask...buddy
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 May '09 12:202 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    When we walk past a flower or,say, a cloud, we do not exclaim 'i believe in this flower!' . we merely percieve it the way we percieve it. So why believe in anything?, surely all this 'belief' just leads to more strife
    Whether or not you believe 'in' the flower or cloud, you surely believe that they exist without any real conscious effort to do so. There existence is supported by the evidence to such an extent that you do not question their existence.

Belief 'in' something however means that you are already convinced of its existence, and have gone a step further and are either convinced of its capacity to help you or you choose to put your confidence in it. I really don't see how the analogy of a flower or cloud can be applied to such a scenario.

Closer but still not perfect would be to say you believe in an aircrafts ability to stay aloft next time you climb aboard.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 12:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Whether or not you believe 'in' the flower or cloud, you surely believe that they exist without any real conscious effort to do so. There existence is supported by the evidence to such an extent that you do not question their existence.

Belief 'in' something however means that you are already convinced of its existence, and have gone a step further and ...[text shortened]... uld be to say you believe in an aircrafts ability to stay aloft next time you climb aboard.
    i believe they exist without any concious effort to do so,yes. I just dont go around saying "i believe in this flower", it seems to cause trouble,capice?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree