1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 09:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Let's see what influence Shavvy's dad can have on Western civilization.
    My mother is called Mary and my father was called Johannes Paulus.

I think they're quite cool references, suited to my new found divinity.

Shavism will grow. Just watch it. As for me, I'm too drunk to care around this time of year, but I'll be back to normal; doing miracles, healing the sick and urinating in people's coffee, from 2nd of January onwards.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 09:25
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    My mother is called Mary and my father was called Johannes Paulus.

I think they're quite cool references, suited to my new found divinity.

Shavism will grow. Just watch it. As for me, I'm too drunk to care around this time of year, but I'll be back to normal; doing miracles, healing the sick and urinating in people's coffee, from 2nd of January onwards.
    Wait!!! The second of January is my birthday!! It's a sign! Out of all the possible dates you chose my birthday! And I'm drunk too!! And I like exclamation marks!!! Oh Dear Lord Shav, since I have been the one to name your worship - shavinism - and these profusion of signs, may I beg to be worthy of being you Italian Silver coin?!

All hail the one true Shavinist!
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 09:43
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    may I beg to be worthy of being you Italian Silver coin?!
    Put "silver coin" into Italian or Latin and you're set.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 16:46
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    urinating in people's coffee, from 2nd of January onwards.
    I've got 400 shares of Starbucks that I need to dump before 01.02.06. Anyone interested?
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:15
    God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain,
    I'll say it again,
    God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain...

John Lennon
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 19:35
    Originally posted by rwingett
    God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain,
    I'll say it again,
    God is a concept,
    By which we can measure,
    Our pain...

John Lennon
    Good thing he said it again, as most people missed it the first time.
  9. Colorado
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 20:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Dear God,
    hope you got the letter, and...
    I pray you can make it better down here.
    I don't mean a big reduction in the price of beer
    but all the people that you made in your image, see
    them starving on their feet 'cause they don't get
    enough to eat from God, I can't believe in you

Dear God, sorry to disturb you, but... I feel that I should be heard ...[text shortened]... I don't believe in

it's you... Dear God.

[b]Dear God, by XTC
    [/b]
    Why bother to explain yourself to somebody you don’t believe in?
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 23:25
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Why bother to explain yourself to somebody you don’t believe in?
    Take a lot of English classes in college?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 19:14
    Originally posted by telerion
    Take a lot of English classes in college?
    You mean "University," as in "Patriot University," don't you?
  12. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 20:501 edit
    Is (s)he now? What's the purpose of the method? Or did you mean religion is a method and God is a concept around which a religion is formed?

I'd like to discuss God and religion as being invented by man. To what end?

The first reasonable explanation is that man invented religion to control the masses. This would be exceptionally dominant alpha males (or females for that matter) of old societies recognizing that most people are dumb fools that believes in just about anything. "Oh, so the tyfoon was not an inexplicable event of nature but God's rage against those who do not follow the teachings of whomever. I see. Let's pray, pay homage to the priests and be very, very careful not to upset any divine entities, then." The priests (inventing and upholding the religion) can then look forward to a bright and sunny disposition in life whereas the commoners would do as they're told of fear for whatever God is to be believed in.

The second version (the one I find most likely) is that our forefathers were terrified by natural disasters and their enemies so they needed something to believe in. Something that would make them feel a little more safe. They invented the concept of gods. Religion set the rules of life so that they could co-exist without fear for each other (at least). Now, when natural disasters occurred it could be explained as being Gods will and, of course, the people would have a good after-life if only they followed the teachings of their given religion. Enemies barking on their doors, simply weren't englightened and would not have such a pleasant after-life.

To know that whatever happens, as long as I live a righteous life (whatever righteous means in the times where I'm living) I would go to a beautiful place with all that I find joyfull in life at my hands, can make me endure almost any hardships. And the fact that all my enemies will not see this beautiful place in the afterlife is a pleasant bonus. Now, life is good.

In short (as if I ever could be short and concise), I think that religion may have been invented by our forefathers to help them cope with the hardships of life. In that sense, religion (not God) is a method. It's a method of living. Am I getting you right?

[Of course there's also the possibility that God was invented to explain all that which our forefathers couldn't understand. Religion grew out of this as a means for building a society where the masses could co-exist under a single leader. In that sense religion was a method developed to help people co-exist in larger societies. The more gods that could be encapsulated into ones religion, the more followers one would have. If I claim that only one God exists, and that all the gods you believe in are actually misinterpretations of that one God, well... There are followers to be for sure. That would unite us all. Right? Anyone?..]
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 21:35
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You mean "University," as in "Patriot University," don't you?
    Likely, yes.

From patriotuniversity.com,

"ENGLISH

EN 101-Refresher English
    Review of parts of speech and basic principles of English usage.

EN 131-College English I
    EN 132-College English II
    EN 133-College English III
    EN 134-College English IV
    EN 135-College English V

{These five courses cover the basics of English composition: grammar, parts of speech, punctuation, mechanics, spelling, sentences, paragraphs, and compositions.}"

Do they actually read any famous literature or do they only diagram sentences?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 21:39
    Originally posted by telerion
    Likely, yes. Do they actually read any famous literature or do they only diagram sentences?
    Depends on what definition of 'famous' is used.
    See, Dick, see.
    Look, Spot, look.
    See Spot look, Dick.

Stuff like that.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 23:58
    Originally posted by stocken
    Is (s)he now? What's the purpose of the method? Or did you mean religion is a method and God is a concept around which a religion is formed?

I'd like to discuss God and religion as being invented by man. To what end?

The first reasonable explanation is that man invented religion to control the masses. This would be exceptionally dominant alpha males (o ...[text shortened]... ll... There are followers to be for sure. That would unite us all. Right? Anyone?..]
    Yeah Stocken I'd pretty much agree with that (although I'm not going anywhere so nice when I die).

People have always lived in societies, and they have always needed leaders. As the societies grew, so the bosses needed to grow also. In some cases the bosses grew into supernatural entities, who could see you defiling yourself in your bed at night (no escape, see?). Governments of long ago knew, as George Bush('s advisors) know today, fear is a powerful tool in getting to do whatever you want - wage any war, spy on people, take away civil liberties, but no-one complains, because you're protecting them from 'the fear', no matter whether that's a fear of terrorism or of hell.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree