1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 20:20
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Professing faith does not please God. Some Christians PROFESS FAITH, but they do not live righteously, This is dead faith and this does not please God.

God is pleased with FAITH, which is a living faith, because this kind of faith means that you believe in something and that something causes you to do GOOD WORKS and makes you LIVE RIGHTEOUSLY

There ...[text shortened]... me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. (James 2:18 KJV)[/i]
    Would you agree that works done without faith do not please God, since it is impossible to please God without faith?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 20:25
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Would you agree that works done without faith do not please God, since it is impossible to please God without faith?
    Are you the judge of who has faith? Do you know?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 20:28
    What does my knowing or not knowing who has faith, have to do with the question I asked you?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 20:44
    What does my knowing or not knowing who has faith, have to do with the question I asked you?
    I cannot address your question because I dont know what you mean by faith.

What is the definition of faith then?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 22:082 edits
    The gospel literally means 'the good news'. Which part of Matthew 13 for example would you describe as 'good news'?

I think in order to understand the 'good news' we need to first understand the 'bad news'. The bad news is that all are guilty of sin and condemned by God. But this is countered by the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ. God, because of ...[text shortened]... eauty of the gospel is when we die to ourselves (the flesh) and Christ (the spirit) lives in us.
    The gospel literally means 'the good news'. Which part of Matthew 13 for example would you describe as 'good news'?

In Matthew 13:43 Jesus said:
    "Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father."

To keep things in perspective, keep in mind what you originally posted:
    "When Jesus started his ministry he said, "Repent and believe in the gospel". What do you think that means? And what do you view to be 'the gospel'?"

Clearly what matters is what Jesus had in mind and Jesus made it clear here:
    Luke 4
    16And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
    18“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
    BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
    HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
    AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
    TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,

Note that Jesus explicitly states that HE was "anointed to proclaim the gospel"
    Note that Jesus also explicitly states that HE would "set free those who are oppressed".

In John 8 Jesus explains who would be "set free":
    "34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
    --Those who commit sin are slaves.

" 31 ...If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
    --Those who are true disciples of Jesus are freed from the slavery of committing sin and are no longer slaves.

"36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. "
    --Jesus reemphasizes that his true disciples are indeed made free from committing sin.

" 35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
    51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.”
    --Those who continue to commit sin will not have eternal life. Those who no longer commit sin will have eternal life.

All of the above is "good news".

You can continue to ignore what Jesus said, but that would only serve to demonstrate that you don't believe HIM.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    The gospel that Jesus mentioned in Mark 1 are the words that He spoke while He walked the Earth.

Good. Then after His resurrection and while He still walked on earth, He explained many things about the gospel and the kingdom of God.

[quote] [The apostles] [b] " To whom He presented Himself alive after His suffering by many irrefuta ...[text shortened]... us more about what Jesus spoke while He walked on the earth after He resurrected from the dead.
    C'mon jaywill, as I've pointed out before: When I use the phrase "while He walked the Earth", I mean prior to His crucifixion.
    As I've also pointed out before: Most everyone can understand the intended meaning. In fact, I can't think of anyone else who has taken it the way you do.

What exactly don't you understand about the above?

I'd guess that you understand it perfectly well and only resort to this tactic when you are unable to address the points of my posts. Which is all too often.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jun '17 23:47
    Are you the judge of who has works? Do you know?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 04:14
    I did not say that I was the judge of faith or that I knew, I asked you a question.

The questions was: Would you agree that works done without faith do not please God, since it is impossible to please God without faith? It is a simple Yes or No.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 04:391 edit
    I cannot address your question because I dont know what you mean by faith.

What is the definition of faith then?
    Would you agree that the Bible contains a clear definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove.”

This definition of faith contains two aspects: intellectual assent and trust. Intellectual assent is believing something to be true. Trust is actually relying on the fact that the something is true. A chair is often used to help illustrate this. Intellectual assent is recognizing that a chair is a chair and agreeing that it is designed to support a person who sits on it. Trust is actually sitting in the chair.

Would you agree with this definition found at:

https://www.gotquestions.org/definition-of-faith.html
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 11:18
    Would you agree that the Bible contains a clear definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove.”

This definition of faith contains two aspects: intellectual assent and trust. Intell ...[text shortened]... u agree with this definition found at:

Actually what that definition describes is both faith and works.
    One believes and then ACTS.

So some people may proclaim with their mouth that the chair is good, but would not sit in it.
    Others may say nothing but would sit in the chair.

God is interested in the second group ... the ones who actually sits in the char.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 23:221 edit

This definition of faith contains two aspects: intellectual assent and trust. Intell ...[text shortened]... u agree with this definition found at:

Evidently you place much more "faith" in gotquestions.org than in the words spoken by Jesus.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 23:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Evidently you place much more "faith" in gotquestions.org than in the words spoken by Jesus.
    The teachings of men are more attractive.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 04:572 edits
    Actually what that definition describes is both faith and works.
    One believes and then ACTS.

So some people may proclaim with their mouth that the chair is good, but would not sit in it.
    Others may say nothing but would sit in the chair.

God is interested in the second group ... the ones who actually sits in the char.
    Why would someone sit on the chair if they did not have the faith that it will hold their weight.

In other words why would someone obey the commands of Christ if they did not have faith or believe his commands were the truth?

I am not talking about mouth worship but faith. You seem to be conflating the two.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 05:021 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Do you believe the all the words in the Bible to be true or only the ones you like, or actually none of them?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 10:471 edit
    Do you believe the all the words in the Bible to be true or only the ones you like, or actually none of them?
    You seem to have missed the point.

Read what I had written very carefully:
    "Evidently you place much more "faith" in gotquestions.org than in the words spoken by Jesus."

The point is that YOU evidently don't believe the words spoken by Jesus cited by rajk999 and me. If you did, you wouldn't keep citing gotquestions.org in your attempts to refute them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree