19 May '05 23:061 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Assuming that this is true (and I see no reason to doubt it), then I can
    assure everyone that this decision is not concordant with the teachings
    of the RCC. There is neither a rationale nor excuse for the action that
    the principal (et a ...[text shortened]... ss, having fulfilled the
    requirements for such action.

Nemesio
    Nemesio: I am sure that LH recognizes that this action was not appropriate.

One never knows; LH did say that Galileo shouldn't have been "meddling in theology" and that Copernician theory wouldn't have been declared a heresy if Galilleo hadn't done so. So his capacity for rationalizing outrageous actions by the RCC is pretty large. If he does think the action was inappropriate, he should simply say so rather than implicitly accusing those who criticized the decision of an anti-Catholic bias.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 May '05 00:04
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Thanks. I'll pick on the Alabamans for a while now.

Who here is from Alabama? How can you backward folk tolerate paying your public legislators a salary to spend time on the criminalization of personal massagers?
    Yo, I used to live in Birmingham, but I had to make a step up tha ladda to Kentucky where they don't wear shoes but do allow vibrators.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 May '05 00:20
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Yo, I used to live in Birmingham, but I had to make a step up tha ladda to Kentucky where they don't wear shoes but do allow vibrators.
    Tell us more about this strange land. Did they have facilities for coloreds when you lived there?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 May '05 00:29
    Tell us more about this strange land. Did they have facilities for coloreds when you lived there?
    Indeed they do. It is called the church. However, people of my so-called color are making enroutes in the backfield of the University of Alabama football program.
  5. London
    Moves
    20 May '05 01:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Nemesio: I am sure that LH recognizes that this action was not appropriate.

One never knows; LH did say that Galileo shouldn't have been "meddling in theology" and that Copernician theory wouldn't have been declared a heresy if Galilleo hadn't done so. So his capacity for rationalizing outrageous actions by the RCC is pretty large. If he ...[text shortened]... o rather than implicitly accusing those who criticized the decision of an anti-Catholic bias.
    I am not accusing those who simply criticised the decision of anti-Catholic bias - I criticise it myself.

However, I am accusing the first six or seven posters on this thread of anti-Catholic bias (whether they realise it or not). I didn't see one person asking if a report that begins with the words "A pregnant student who was banned from graduation at her Roman Catholic high school," was exaggerating, twisting the truth or sensationalising an event because the Catholic Church is such an easy target for the press. I didn't see one person questioning the implicit assumption that, because the event happened at a Catholic school, the hierarchy was involved (to some extent that is excusable because most people assume that Catholic schools are run by the Church). It is not surprising to see why historian Arthur Schlesinger called anti-Catholicism "the deepest held bias in the history of the American people".

LH

PS - On Galileo: yes, I still maintain that had Galileo been a bit more savvy and not isolated his friends in the Church (and he had many to begin with) by his foray into theology, he would never have faced the scenario he did.
  6. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:121 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I am not accusing those who simply criticised the decision of anti-Catholic bias - I criticise it myself.

However, I am accusing the first six or seven posters on this thread of anti-Catholic bias (whether they realise it or not). ...[text shortened]... oray into theology, he would never have faced the scenario he did.
    She was banned. You can ask Dr. Scribbles what that means. Her name was removed from the list.
    They don't do that when someone takes ill.
    I must also say that in these days, and back in my day (class of 87' frickin rules) instead of steps up to the podium they have a ramp for the handicapped. Why would they remove her from the list if she is not a graduating member?
    They used to read the names of everyone who was receiving a diploma from my "public" school no matter if they could be there or not.

RTh

PS
    It is not an anti-catholic bias.....It is an anti-human bias
  7. London
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:271 edit
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    PS
    It is not an anti-catholic bias.....It is an anti-human bias
    Extremely simple way to check it out. You read the words "pregnant girl banned from her Roman Catholic school" - what was the first thing that came to your mind? Did you assume right away that the Church hierarchy was involved? Did you think to yourself "Typical!"?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:28
    Extremely simple way to check it out. You read the words "pregnant girl banned from her Roman Catholic school" - what was the first thing that came to your mind?
    That a pregnant girl had gotten banned from her Roman Catholic school.
  9. London
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:291 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That a pregnant girl had gotten banned from her Roman Catholic school.
    Cute.

Pot-kettle-black. Think about it the next time you decide to "insult" me.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:33
    Extremely simple way to check it out. You read the words "pregnant girl banned from her Roman Catholic school" - what was the first thing that came to your mind? Did you assume right away that the Church hierarchy was involved? Did you think to yourself "Typical!"?
    OK, I'll give it a try since #1 failed. That a priest got her pregnant.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:33
    That she was lucky she hadn't written a letter to a priest "meddling in theology" or she would have been condemned to imprisonment instead of just being banned from school.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '05 02:42
    Didn't see the edit. Yes, I assumed the Church hierarchy was involved and the article you cited said the archdiocese supported the principal's decision so I was right.

Actually, I was rather surprised that a Roman Catholic school would do such a thing as the ones I know of in New York are fairly tolerant but when I saw it was in an extremely conservative state like Alabama I pretty much assumed that any school, private or public, in the state would have done the same thing. It also didn't surprise me that the girl who was treated in such a manner was black; one wonders if a white girl, particulary one from an affluent family, would have been treated the same (that would apply in any Alabama school not merely RCC ones).
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 May '05 03:022 edits

However, I am accusing the first six or seven posters on this thread of anti-Catholic bias (whether they realise it or not).
    I deny holding such a bias. If it had been a public school, I would have called it an embarassment for the state of Alabama. If it had been a military acadamy, I would have called it an embarassment for the military. If it had been a Lutheran University, I would have called it an embarassment for the Lutheran Church. If it had been a corporate picnic, it would have been an embarassment for the corporation.

Anybody who reads here regularly knows that I have no particular bias against Catholicism. I give all posters a hard time when they present absurd beliefs that haven't been given thorough thought. You'll note that what I said was an embarassment was not that the girl got banned, but that she did and the guy didn't.

I've maligned Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell numerous times. And if it's escaped your attention, I do my best to regularly make a circus out of Weak Atheism. I'm just giving the Catholics their fair share of the shame here.

In blindjusticeship,
    Dr. S
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 May '05 03:20
    If it had been a public school, I would have called it an embarassment for the state of Alabama. If it had been a military acadamy, I would have called it an embarassment for the military. If it had been a Lutheran University, I would have called it an embarassment for the Lutheran Church. If it had been a corporate picnic, it would have been an embarassment for the corporation.
    Amen!
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 May '05 03:22
    Honest answer? I thought that the principal was acting in error with the teaching of the
    RCC. That the father walked was further embarrassment.

That the archdiocese supported the decision was atrocious.

It is because the archdiocese supported the action that a bias against the RCC exists.
    Their action is shameful.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree