1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 17:432 edits
    Originally posted by chinking58
    By the way FS,

What point is there in having a 'national leader' if nothing he does matters? If God were to step in every time a harm would follow the leader's decision, his position would be pointless.

Most of the Kings of I ...[text shortened]... men, and when they mislead the country it suffered badly as well.
    And how many of those kings did their evil deeds in God's name?
    Point being, that the kings and clerics claiming God's authorization for deeds already had brought God into it.

2. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 18:48
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    And how many of those kings did their evil deeds in God's name?
    Point being, that the kings and clerics claiming God's authorization for deeds already had brought God into it.

None.
  3. R.I.P.
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 21:58
    Originally posted by chinking58

I'd say you should read the story a little closer Jay. The Israelites lived in their own section of the territory. The land of Goshen. And they were entirely separated from the plagues, miraculously, as well.

Far enough I admit I'm a little rusty on the story and should brush up which chapter is it in ?

I think the real lesson to be learned here, about God, is that He absolutely honors free will. If He started manipulating every one as if they were puppets, we would have actual grievances to bring to the table. Pharoah could say, "I'm supposed to be free to choose to oppress slaves, but you killed me", or "you tricked me by that silly disguise! Not fair!"

Surely sending a message & then carrying out the threat in that message is as equally as manipulating as both my alternative examples, albeit in a different form. The main difference being the consequences of the actions involved.

For example lets say that you are walking down the street and are about to get mugged by a robber.

There maybe 3 outcomes

1) you defend yourself using the minimum amount of force necessary so that the robber is captured basically unhurt

2) you defend yourself using the maximun amount of force possible so that the robber is captured and spends six months in hospital

3) you defend yourself using the maximum amount of force possible so that the robber is captured and spends six months in hospital but before you call the police you empty out the robbers wallet & steal his fancy bling jewellery.

The point I'm trying to make is that a geniunely good person would try to do No 1, might end up doing No 2 by mistake, but would never do no 3. Where as a basically evil person is unlikely to do No 1, would probably do number 2 and may even end up doing No 3.

Now bearing that in mind, God with all his supreme powers & wisdom would have had an infinite number of other possible solutions, many of which would have had a lesser consequence to those innocent egyptian people.

So why would God take a less ethical action to resolve this problem ? Ok he might have made a mistake, but this cannot be right, after all he is the supreme being and would be fully aware of the consequence of his actions. The only possible solution is that he has some % of evilness in his nature. So then people that do evil acts are also in his likeness or image.
    😉
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 15:34
    Its absolutely amazing to me how ignorant I am about god and
    you all seem to know all about him, he/she/it talks to you all the
    time so you know from personal experience. must be nice....
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 19:012 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Its absolutely amazing to me how ignorant I am about god and
    you all seem to know all about him, he/she/it talks to you all the
    time so you know from personal experience. must be nice....
    Ecc 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

edit1,2: sorry. on second read, this doesn't seem like the answer you were looking for, your question seems more like a rhetorical statement...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree