1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8516
    13 Apr '16 15:18
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

    Imagine this God suddenly made an appearance. Would he be pleased do you think with the way mankind had envisaged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
  2. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Apr '16 15:27
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

    Imagine this Go ...[text shortened]... saged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
    You are contradicting yourself old chap. If God had never attempted.....etc.,
    There would be no Old Testament or any writings of any kind.
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    13 Apr '16 15:29
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You are contradicting yourself old chap. If God had never attempted.....etc.,
    There would be no Old Testament or any writings of any kind.
    The OP writer's premise is surely that all religious literature claiming to deal with the revelation of God across the world and down through history is all man made.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    13 Apr '16 15:31
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

    Imagine this Go ...[text shortened]... saged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
    After one look around, God would be an atheist.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8516
    13 Apr '16 15:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP writer's premise is surely that all religious literature claiming to deal with the revelation of God across the world and down through history is all man made.
    Yes, it would indeed imply that all religious writings, including the bible, were written by man. My question was really to determine what God would make of such man made writings attributed to him.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    13 Apr '16 20:24
    All these so-called "hypothetical musings" have one goal. To present the Bible as false and to make the believers envision the "what if" of "no God". Not interested.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    13 Apr '16 20:26
    God Returns


    Sounds like a kick-ass revenge flick.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    13 Apr '16 20:40
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

    Imagine this Go ...[text shortened]... saged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
    "I shall return."
    --Douglas MacArthur

    I know that US General MacArthur was not God, but some of his critics said that he
    often liked to act as though he did not recognize that difference.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    13 Apr '16 20:45
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    After one look around, God would be an atheist.
    Interesting.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8516
    13 Apr '16 21:03
    Originally posted by vivify
    [b]God Returns


    Sounds like a kick-ass revenge flick.[/b]
    Admittedly I was influenced by 'Superman returns.'
  11. Subscribersonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52615
    13 Apr '16 21:17
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You are contradicting yourself old chap. If God had never attempted.....etc.,
    There would be no Old Testament or any writings of any kind.
    Man is very talented in story telling, quite capable of writing every word of the bible, the Qaran, the Vedas, and every other religious book on the planet.

    No god was needed to get that stuff down. It was aimed at control. How do we control this unruly bunch of savages? AH, lets make a religion, throw in some miracles, hey what do you think Abraham?
  12. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Apr '16 21:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Man is very talented in story telling, quite capable of writing every word of the bible, the Qaran, the Vedas, and every other religious book on the planet.

    No god was needed to get that stuff down. It was aimed at control. How do we control this unruly bunch of savages? AH, lets make a religion, throw in some miracles, hey what do you think Abraham?
    Thanks for the enlightenment, I feel better now.
  13. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Apr '16 21:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All these so-called "hypothetical musings" have one goal. To present the Bible as false and to make the believers envision the "what if" of "no God". Not interested.
    In light of the new info, I agree, not interested.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    14 Apr '16 00:53
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You are contradicting yourself old chap. If God had never attempted.....etc.,
    There would be no Old Testament or any writings of any kind.
    It is clear that at most only one religious book is divine.
    Therefore Man is very capable of making it up.
  15. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    14 Apr '16 00:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All these so-called "hypothetical musings" have one goal. To present the Bible as false and to make the believers envision the "what if" of "no God". Not interested.
    On the other hand, such hypothetical musings could be seized by Bible religionists like yourself to explain how or why your God figure's revelation makes perfect sense.
Back to Top