1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 15:18
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

Imagine this God suddenly made an appearance. Would he be pleased do you think with the way mankind had envisaged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 15:27
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hypothetically speaking (as I know theists enjoy hypotheticals) imagine God had never attempted to make contact with mankind. Let's assume that He is indeed all powerful and all loving etc, but that it was His plan from the outset to have no contact with us at all; no prophets, no miracles, no angels, no divinely inspired writings.

Imagine this Go ...[text shortened]... saged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
    You are contradicting yourself old chap. If God had never attempted.....etc.,
    There would be no Old Testament or any writings of any kind.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 15:29
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The OP writer's premise is surely that all religious literature claiming to deal with the revelation of God across the world and down through history is all man made.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 15:31
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Imagine this Go ...[text shortened]... saged him? Would the way he was presented in the Old Testament for example please or dismay him?
    After one look around, God would be an atheist.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 15:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP writer's premise is surely that all religious literature claiming to deal with the revelation of God across the world and down through history is all man made.
    Yes, it would indeed imply that all religious writings, including the bible, were written by man. My question was really to determine what God would make of such man made writings attributed to him.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 20:24
    All these so-called "hypothetical musings" have one goal. To present the Bible as false and to make the believers envision the "what if" of "no God". Not interested.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 20:26
    God Returns

Sounds like a kick-ass revenge flick.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 20:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 20:45
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    After one look around, God would be an atheist.
    Interesting.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:03
    Originally posted by vivify
    [b]God Returns

Sounds like a kick-ass revenge flick.[/b]
    Admittedly I was influenced by 'Superman returns.'
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:17
    Man is very talented in story telling, quite capable of writing every word of the bible, the Qaran, the Vedas, and every other religious book on the planet.

No god was needed to get that stuff down. It was aimed at control. How do we control this unruly bunch of savages? AH, lets make a religion, throw in some miracles, hey what do you think Abraham?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Man is very talented in story telling, quite capable of writing every word of the bible, the Qaran, the Vedas, and every other religious book on the planet.

No god was needed to get that stuff down. It was aimed at control. How do we control this unruly bunch of savages? AH, lets make a religion, throw in some miracles, hey what do you think Abraham?
    Thanks for the enlightenment, I feel better now.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '16 21:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All these so-called "hypothetical musings" have one goal. To present the Bible as false and to make the believers envision the "what if" of "no God". Not interested.
    In light of the new info, I agree, not interested.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 00:53
    It is clear that at most only one religious book is divine.
    Therefore Man is very capable of making it up.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '16 00:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    On the other hand, such hypothetical musings could be seized by Bible religionists like yourself to explain how or why your God figure's revelation makes perfect sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree