1. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 08:54
    "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

Wow! Richard Dawkins doesn't pull his punches!

Sorry if I have offended anyone of a sensitive disposition.

Excellent stuff!! (gues I'll just sit and wait for all the thumbs down!)
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 09:10
    Its time we awaken from our outdated false ideas about a most sublime Word
  3. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 09:33
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Its time we awaken from our outdated false ideas about a most sublime Word
    What would your idea be?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 09:59
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    What would your idea be?
    At the risk of sounding a bit far out, I suggest that asking this question of oneself (what is my idea of God) instead of dwelling on inherited ideas, could be a spiritual turning point.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 10:08
    Originally posted by JS357
    At the risk of sounding a bit far out, I suggest that asking this question of oneself (what is my idea of God) instead of dwelling on inherited ideas, could be a spiritual turning point.
    Yes. That approach would turn away from a public discussion in which there was some prospect of the participants reaching useful insights into a private, mumbling act of self indulgence. Whether it makes you feel better or worse will have a lot to do with the quality of your parenting and the nature of your internal monologue.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 10:27
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Yes. That approach would turn away from a public discussion in which there was some prospect of the participants reaching useful insights into a private, mumbling act of self indulgence. Whether it makes you feel better or worse will have a lot to do with the quality of your parenting and the nature of your internal monologue.
    There is nothing to keep the ideas from being shared.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 10:50
    What would your idea be?
    My idea in words in no where near as potent as my idea as I see it.

Like I said, "God" is a useful word.

As to whether there is anything or diety known as "God" , I'm pretty skeptical 🙂
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 14:51
    Originally posted by JS357

. . .

That is pretty much the basis of twelve-step programs (even if the language in, say, the Big Book, is more often than not implicitly that of a conventional—and even gender specific—monotheism; however, lots of AA people just let that go as just the conceptualization that Bill W. had available to him). Such programs are pragmatic/therapeutic in nature—and “elicitive” as far as spiritual experience—rather than epistemic. Even such words as “came to believe” take on a different understanding in that language game (rather more similar to, say, an attitude of conviction sports psychology), as opposed to epistemological discourse. As you and I have discussed before, a lot of confusion can result when usages are transferred from one language game to another.

I wrote that quickly; hope it makes sense. I have to go do some work on the house… Be well. 🙂
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 15:011 edit
    "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

Wow ve disposition.

Typical atheistic sour grapes if you ask me.

Edit: We've heard all this (and more) before. So what's new here?
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 15:03
    What does this have to do with it ?

The Glorious Gospel of Christ marches on to victory among South African young people:

YouTube&feature=youtu.be
  11. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 15:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Sour grapes? What a typical theist response!!i (think you misunderstand the meaning of that phrase.) No, dear, simple undisputed, documented, statement of fact. Look to your source with an OPEN mind, unbiased by brainwashing.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 16:231 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]At the risk of sounding a bit far out, I suggest that asking this question of oneself (what is my idea of God) instead of dwelling on inherited ideas, could be a spiritual turning point.

. . .

That is pretty much the basis of twelve-step ...[text shortened]... wrote that quickly; hope it makes sense. I have to go do some work on the house… Be well. 🙂[/b]
    That makes a great deal of sense. I have been working through some habit-breaking times (the big ones are never "finished" ) and am in-process with a new challenge at present. The "me" that I am respecting when I abstain from the habit, does not really exist yet, and may never fully; but it is that "me" that I remind myself I have committed myself to be, that I "believe in". This might sound self-centered, but some people could see it as a higher power sort of thing, an ideal.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 18:15

Wow ...[text shortened]... ve disposition.

succinct description of the beast of the old testament.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 20:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I agree with you. It seems when things slow down here on this forum, this thread always pops back up. They must be board and probably upset with life on some level so they have to blame somebody and it's usually God.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I agree with you. It seems when things slow down here on this forum, this thread always pops back up. They must be board and probably upset with life on some level so they have to blame somebody and it's usually God.
    Yes, but what you think is important.

When something unusual keeps popping up in my life , I look at is a sign that maybe I have to learn some life lesson here before I move on. Thats why that same little itch keeps appearing.

What you think creates the world. So thats why the push for positive thoughts/ positive thinking.
    Hence the analogy to God being close to you and knowing your everyday (everything about you).
    I read as regarding the intimacy of our thoughts, and the realization that if we are given power that we use it to create not destroy, for good not for bad, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree