1. Seattle
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 14:12
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    If one cannot truthfully assert an absurdity, can one untruthfully deny one?

So, in principle, could the Trinity be a pack of lies, if it is absurd?
    eigther that or it's so complicated that our limited minds cannot be wrapped around it, much like how God as always existed. At first glance it makes sence, but as you think about it....
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 17:22
    Originally posted by borissa
    Isn't the Holy Spirit the part of God that you can feel in you? The bit that compels you to do good and helps steer you away from bad? The bit that makes you different to an animal?

You ('you' referring to any Christian, or anyone with decent knowledge on the subject who won't mock it) may have to explain this to me... I have only been Christian for a cou ...[text shortened]... ing to learn as much as I can about it. I still don't quite get the trinity concept though.
    You can't pray to God without Him helping you in some way to pray right? But if he's helping you who are you praying to? In this sense God has to be in two places at the same time a) with you and helping you to pray and b) listening to your prayer. You need a God who is kind of split into at least two parts but is still one. The trinity makes more sense than you think. I would reccomend CS Lewis's writings on this especially Mere Christianity , but don't expect it to make perfect sense..it will always have a mystery about it, but then God without mystery stops being God.
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 17:27
    Originally posted by borissa
    'who won't mock it' being the key words there.

All I want is an honest explanation, there's no need for you to get in the way of that. Live and let live. Believe in what you like, but let others believe too.

Trust me, when I was atheist I spent sooooo long trying to convert Christians and 'bring them to sense'. Then I realised that faith is far, far st ...[text shortened]... rself it's impossible not to believe, because you can feel that it's right. So give up.
    The only reason that Atheists will try and "bring you to your senses" is because they feel threatened by what you believe. Inside many an Atheist is a Christian waiting to emerge. Just because someone is intellectually opposed to belief in God doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit doesn't witrness to their soul in hidden depths. Keep at it and by all means wrestle with your faith , but don't let someone with a chip on their shoulder talk you out of it.
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 05:591 edit
    If one cannot truthfully assert an absurdity, can one untruthfully deny one?

So, in principle, could the Trinity be a pack of lies, if it is absurd?
    If it is absurd, then it must be a lie.

(See Reductio ad absurdity)

...not that I claimed it was absurd in the first place! (Although it is)...there I have said it now.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 08:52
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    (music)

.....alive. God's not dead . No! He is alive! Feel him in my heart, feel him in my soul , feel him in my hands ...feel him all over me!

This little song is one I have heard sung by kids in Church many times but refers to the idea that God is actually alive and with us in the form of the Holy Spirit.

The question I have is this. There ...[text shortened]... o home and do something else (Christians and Atheists alike). So why is it discussed so little?
    Because the concept of the holy spirit is quite Pagan? And God knows, these Christians don't want to think about anything tainting and satanic, do they?

What?

Oh... see if I care!
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 12:02
    Belief in God is possible without a belief in the Holy Spirit.

Ask a Muslim or a Jew.
    why ask a muslum they dont worship god!!
  7. The sky
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 12:28
    Originally posted by nickdude121
    Huh?
  8. Joined
    18 Jun '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 12:321 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Because the concept of the holy spirit is quite Pagan? And God knows, these Christians don't want to think about anything tainting and satanic, do they?

What?

Oh... see if I care!
    Your arguments betray satanic profligacy...

You cannot be christian....you cannot be muslim...You are ...

A marxist or communist dogmatist.....

A rank athiest........An athiest sans any conscience.....sans any feeling.
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 13:54
    Originally posted by nickdude121
    Sorry to correct you on this one. I just looooove to correct people on this one. Especially if it's an ignorant christian. He he. Here we go. I'm giggling with anticipation.

Not only is Allah the same God as you christians believe in, but Jesus is considered a great prophet among the muslims.

Hi hi hi. I love it! It's true and it annoys the hell out of ignorant "No-I-can't-hear-you" kind of christians. 😵
  10. Joined
    24 Nov '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 14:44
    I quite agree, God is just revealed in different ways to the different nations of the world. Some choose to interperet the scriptures differently. That's up to them. But basically, all Abrahamic religions worship the same God, just with different doctrines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree