1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 00:07
    For anyone who dares to take 35 minutes of their precious time and in the privacy of their own mind. Open your mind and give a listen.

Have I ever posted a link before? Can't remember the last time. Just asking that you give this one your attention. Maybe a decent discussion will emerge.

http://sermons.ccphilly.org/daniel/gods-word-certain-sure/

Joe Focht. One of my favorite teachers.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 02:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    For anyone who dares to take 35 minutes of their precious time and in the privacy of their own mind. Open your mind and give a listen.

Have I ever posted a link before? Can't remember the last time. Just asking that you give this one your attention. Maybe a decent discussion will emerge.

Yes, he is one of my favorites as well... It was a definite "waker upper". We can easily get caught up in the moment in this insane world. We need to stay focused and remember He holds us in the palm of His hand.
    Sobering and well done ...thanks for posting.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 06:53

I will give it a listen later today old chap.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 11:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I will give it a listen later today old chap.
    It's not that bad Ghost! Listen with an objective ear. Informative. Not expecting conversions of anybody. Maybe some are afraid of being converted, and that's why they won't listen! 😉
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 12:49
    It's not that bad Ghost! Listen with an objective ear. Informative. Not expecting conversions of anybody. Maybe some are afraid of being converted, and that's why they won't listen! 😉
    Came across this verse in my daily reading this morning. It is one of the reasons many today are afraid of being converted and also keeping some Christians in doubt.
    1 Tim 6:20-21
    O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge — 21 by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.
    NKJV

I suspect there will be more false "knowledge" going against the truth. True knowledge agrees with truth.
    Here is MH commentary...
    1 Timothy 6:13-21
    That science that opposes the truth of the gospel is falsely so called; it is not true science, for if it were it would approve of the gospel and consent to it. [4.] Those who are so fond of such science are in great danger of erring concerning the faith; those who are for advancing reason above faith are in danger of leaving faith.
    (from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible, PC Study Bible Formatted Electronic Database Copyright © 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All Rights reserved.)
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '15 15:51
    "Lord don't come until my husband's black eye goes away. Lord don't come before my visa bill for Christmas."

Okay, the guy's pretty funny and actually a good speaker. (Certainly knows his stuff). I do really need to go away though and read Daniel as a lot of it was over my head. Interesting stuff though.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 00:441 edit
    "Lord don't come until my husband's black eye goes away. Lord don't come before my visa bill for Christmas."

Okay, the guy's pretty funny and actually a good speaker. (Certainly knows his stuff). I do really need to go away though and read Daniel as a lot of it was over my head. Interesting stuff though.
    The inner prophetical meanings of Daniel are not for the neophyte (same with Isaiah), as some of the prophecies are profound, but quite possibly someone with your background might have less problem with it. Online Bible sites often have accompanying commentary which can help open up meaning missed in previous readings.

Specifically, I use this site a lot.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 02:22

Daniel predicted a lot of things that came true in his prophetic visions and dreams, including the time when the Messiah would arrive and be cut off (killed) in Daniel 9. However, you have to know history to understand it all.
  9. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 07:22

you are a right boring person
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jul '15 12:19
    Originally posted by redbadger
    you are a right boring person
    Come on Badger, this was a pleasant little thread. If you ever had a one on one chat with Joseph you'd see he was anything but boring.

If you like we can cross swords somewhere else and i'll destroy you with biting wit and satirical pizzazz.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 01:28

Daniel was one of this first Old Testament books I read. Lays out the whole history of this world right up to the end. Not a word of it has failed to come to pass except what's up ahead. And like Jesus said, "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 01:32
    Come on Badger, this was a pleasant little thread. If you ever had a one on one chat with Joseph you'd see he was anything but boring.

If you like we can cross swords somewhere else and i'll destroy you with biting wit and satirical pizzazz.
    Happy to have gotten to know you too Ghost. 🙂
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 01:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The inner prophetical meanings of Daniel are not for the neophyte (same with Isaiah), as some of the prophecies are profound, but quite possibly someone with your background might have less problem with it. Online Bible sites often have accompanying commentary which can help open up meaning missed in previous readings.

Specifically, I use this site a lot.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/
    Same one I use. 😉 Excellent resource. I have it as an app on my iPad.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 01:41
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Came across this verse in my daily reading this morning. It is one of the reasons many today are afraid of being converted and also keeping some Christians in doubt.
    [b]1 Tim 6:20-21
    O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge — 21 by professing it s ...[text shortened]... le Formatted Electronic Database Copyright © 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All Rights reserved.)
    [/b]
    I go to Mathew Henry too for his insights. Old school. Amazing how much was understood before our time.

"True knowledge agrees with truth."

A guiding principle for correct understanding of God's Word. Comparing scripture with scripture. It makes knowing the truth an absolute joy!
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:33
    Same one I use. 😉 Excellent resource. I have it as an app on my iPad.
    I've never used that resource. I will check it out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree