Going Soon...

Going Soon...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
22 Mar 08

I'm really not long for this world, to tell you the truth. After two years of hearing every wild conspiracy, every crack pot explanation, every supposed proof against God, every deviation of truth imaginable, I think I've finally hit the bottom of doubt and found it wanting.

As I told another believer who recently departed from these posts and threads, I haven't been here in hopes of seeing conversions. Most chess people I know are stubborn and such a forum as is offered here is more of a contradiction than anything else: people come here looking for fights and are peternaturally defensive in their positions.

Instead, I came here (and have remained) for my own selfish reasons. I know that most people who have frequented here for as long or longer than I are far smarter than me. Folks like Nemesio, Dr. Scribbles, telerion, LemonJello, twhitehead, kirksey, snowinscotland, Bosse de Nage, The Skipper, vistesd, and even (to some extent, bbarr) and etc., make my otherwise impressive 172 look more measly than the proverbial 95-pound weakling at the beach.

But I know that I have received more benefit from being here than if I'd hung out at every center of higher learning in the world for 100 years. Where else could I get such concentrated pools of doubt upon which to test the buoyancy of my faith? Here, the non-believer openly blasts with no mind to any possible fall-out, without even a hint of mercy.

On my own, I know that I could not come up with the obstacles provided by some of the folks cited above. For their faithful faithlessess, I am grateful. They have helped solidify positions in my mind that I would have never considered to shake or test.

However, as stated, I am coming to the end of what I see as the usefulness of the site. It seems as though all of the arguments have been lobbied, all of the problems resolved. I guess you could say that I'm tired of arguing pointless and insignificant opinions.

Again, I am humbled by the consistency of the presentations and beliefs of the mainstays herein. Each of them have offered some unique enjoyments and admirable qualities. Let me just say for the record that while vistesd has exhibited the least offensive personality of all those with whom I've grappled in these two years, a tip of my hat goes to one person above all others.

Nemesio (I believe the only believer among those cited) has been the paragon of consistency, disciplined thought and expression within these threads for as long as I have frequented here, and I have been uniquely humbled most especially by his unyielding disciplined approach and singular concentration. While I thank each and every one of those mentioned for your unintended assistance to me within these threads, Nemesio, I salute you first and foremost. While we have clashed heartily and heavily, I pride myself whenever I see my expressions approximating the cleanliness of thought that I found when reading your posts. Early on, I flattered myself to have considered myself in your league; I am deeply grateful to you for you never mentioning the perposterousness of such impertinence, while allowing me the illusion of having a conversation with a real intellectual. In these threads, you truly have no equal, and I know that my thinking has improved by interacting with you.

That being said, thank you again for all of your contributions and--- as usual--- for your readership. Without a hint of irony, God bless you all.

s

Moves
22 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I believe the only believer among those cited
shows you how much you know...

[edit] there is a saying where I come from;

'I've taught you everything I know, and you still know nothing'

lol...

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
23 Mar 08

I think I've finally hit the bottom of doubt and found it wanting.
oh, I dunno about that....perhaps you merely glimpsed Camus' Absurdity, and found it too scary. At any rate, you might be back. Public solipsism is a tough habit to break.

If not, fair seas and following winds.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
23 Mar 08

I'm really not long for this world, to tell you the truth. After two years of hearing every wild conspiracy, every crack pot explanation, every supposed proof against God, every deviation of truth imaginable, I think I've finally hit the bottom of doubt and found it wanting.
It is not possible to make a proof against God. How do you make a proof against something that doesn't exist?

It is perception of God that makes Him real in the minds of believers. He is real to believers because they believe in Him. What they believe in is an idea of God.

All ideas should be considered using empirical approaches in order to obtain truth. But some people do not objectively consider their assumptions and come to the correct conclusions. Thus people consequently live their lives according to false principles.

People allow themselves to live under false principles to satisfy their own egos or because they fail to open their minds to other ideas. I once was a believer in God when I was younger; I had failed make a sincere analysis regarding the existence of God at the time and simply believed what I was taught. My conclusion after introspection and analysis was that evidence supporting the existence of God was highly superficial and fraught with inconsistencies.

I think truth is the desirable goal in any rational argument. This is more difficult when considering God because belief requires no evidence, simply inoculation of the belief. Minds are so easily manipulated in some regards so belief is very easy. Note the influence of the media and most importantly the people around you.

Live according to principles that seem most fulfilling for you. If believing in God leads to you living a more fulfilling life then continue to do so. If you feel like leaving the fora is in your best interest then do so. Although living according to one’s self-interests seems superficially impersonal, often it is in the best interest of the individual to work in the best interest of the self and the whole as humans are social creatures and are to some extent dependent on each other for happiness.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
23 Mar 08

As I told another believer who recently departed from these posts and threads, ...[text shortened]... tions and--- as usual--- for your readership. Without a hint of irony, God bless you all.
Well, in all sincerity, I hope you hear a good Easter sermon today. We all need a good Easter message.

M

Moves
23 Mar 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Well, in all sincerity, I hope you hear a good Easter sermon today. We all need a good Easter message.
Good news: no need to start painting the eggs; the snow has melted.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Mar 08
3 edits

As I told another believer who recently departed from these posts and threads, tions and--- as usual--- for your readership. Without a hint of irony, God bless you all.
"On my own, I know that I could not come up with the obstacles provided by some of the folks cited above. For their faithful faithlessess, I am grateful. They have helped solidify positions in my mind that I would have never considered to shake or test.

However, as stated, I am coming to the end of what I see as the usefulness of the site. It seems as though all of the arguments have been lobbied, all of the problems resolved. I guess you could say that I'm tired of arguing pointless and insignificant opinions.

Again, I am humbled by the consistency of the presentations and beliefs of the mainstays herein. Each of them have offered some unique enjoyments and admirable qualities. Let me just say for the record that while vistesd has exhibited the least offensive personality of all those with whom I've grappled in these two years, a tip of my hat goes to one person above all others."

My sentiments exactly. But I'm not so sure about Nemesio.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
24 Mar 08

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"On my own, I know that I could not come up with the obstacles provided by some of the folks cited above. For their faithful faithlessess, I am grateful. They have helped solidify positions in my mind that I would have never considered to shake or test.

However, as stated, I am coming to the end of what I see as the usefulness of the site. It seems as ...[text shortened]... person above all others."

My sentiments exactly. But I'm not so sure about Nemesio.[/b]
I'm bettin Nemesio turned the organ way up loud today to proclaim Jesus rising from the dead. O ye of little faith!

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
24 Mar 08

Nemesio has been the paragon of consistency, disciplined thought and expression within these threads for as long as I have frequented here, and I have been uniquely humbled most especially by his unyielding disciplined approach and singular concentration.
Thank you (I think) for the compliment (or tacit acknowledgment of my stubbornness).

You will be missed in this forum. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
24 Mar 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
I'm bettin Nemesio turned the organ way up loud today to proclaim Jesus rising from the dead. O ye of little faith!
I was shaking the roof with my organ today, bay-bee.

Nemesio