1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 16:44
    @secondson said
    Science and technology.

But will it save the human race? I think not, since the human condition relative to behavior is most definitely worsening.

Consider the numbers of people killed in war during the last 200 years. Is population growth a good measure of human development? Or is it that people just keep breeding as life expectancy increases and science and technolo ...[text shortened]... trim the population back to sustainable numbers.

Then Jesus will return in just the nick of time.
    What about life expectancy? Do you see no advantage in living longer?

Did you notice that all the war deaths barely slowed us down?

I look at your religious viewpoint and I see much cynicism, and a desire for the human race to fail.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 16:44
    @bigdoggproblem said
    We produced the ability to pass information down through generations. We beat many of the major diseases facing us. We produced classical music and philosophy and religion.

What more do you want from us?
    No further objections, your honor. You have made some very good points.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 17:00
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I agree that overpopulation is a major problem.

What metric(s) do you think we should use to measure progress of the human race?
    ann landers, writing as dear abby once opined,
    and this is paraphrased as i cannot be arsed to find the actual quote,

"an accurate measure of a man's character is the way he treats those who can do him absolutely no good"

i think this same metric can be used population wide
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:271 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    What metric(s) do you think we should use to measure progress of the human race?
    Life expectancy. Lowering infant and maternal mortality. Improving nutrition. Food security. Access to education. Rising literacy and numeracy. Access to health services, including preventative health services and access to health insurance for, at least, the poor. Access to the judicial system. Basic human rights [land tenure, freedom of speech and association, religion] that create protections from encroachments and abuses by the powerful and the rich. Diminishing domestic violence. Diminishing discrimination on the basis of ethnicity etc. Safeguards against pollution and environmental degradation. I would add access to water, but it's a difficult one and may well be the source of serious conflict in the future.

Through my unabashedly optimistic prism, which is partially rooted in a country that was woefully lacking in terms of the many of the aforementioned things even as recently as 30 years ago, I think these "metrics", as I have often said here, are mostly moving in the right direction for countless millions/billions of people in many parts of the world, remaining and persisting problems and challenges [or even new ones] notwithstanding.

Life is considerably better for both [1] more human beings and more importantly [2] a greater proportion of the world's population now, arguably, than it has ever been.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:43
    @secondson said
    Yes, I agree with that too, but I believe the lockdown is a cleverly devised way to modify human behavior and institute a political agenda. Face masks and social distancing won't stop the spread. People are scared, and the fear being spread is more deadly, especially to liberty.

This virus is not the first nor will it be the last in a string of "pestilences" that will come.
    What is the political agenda that you think Lockdowns are cleverly devised for?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:50
    @bigdoggproblem said
    We produced the ability to pass information down through generations. We beat many of the major diseases facing us. We produced classical music and philosophy and religion.

What more do you want from us?
    Based on my observation of his posts over time I would interject and surmise that Caesar Salad’s perspective on the human condition is tarnished by the aching disappointment of the flatland his own existence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree