Good Quotes

Good Quotes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Nov 12

I would rather live my life believing in Jesus Christ as my Savior and die to find out he wasn't... than to live my life not believing and die to find out he could have been.
Author unknown

I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.
— President Thomas Jefferson

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 12

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I would rather live my life believing in Jesus Christ as my Savior and die to find out he wasn't... than to live my life not believing and die to find out he could have been.
Author unknown

How you can believe both of these quotes is beyond me.

True Christians in government try to help the downtrodden, not label them as parasites. Labeling the rich as industrious is just as delusional.

Moves
06 Nov 12

Author unknown

Giles: It may be that we are all that stands between the Earth and utter destruction.
Buffy: Well, I gotta look on the bright side. Maybe I can still get kicked out of school.
Xander: Oh, yeah, that's a plan. Cause lots of schools aren't on Hellmouths.
Willow: Maybe you could blow something up. They're really strict about that.
Buffy: I was thinking of a more subtle approach, ya know, like excessive not studying.
Giles: [to himself as the others are walking away] The Earth is doomed.

So....

Do you think that pascals wager is a good argument for believing?...

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/pascal.html

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
[i]Giles: It may be that we are all that stands between the Earth and utter destruction.
Buffy: Well, I gotta look on the bright side. Maybe I can still get kicked out of school.
Xander: Oh, yeah, that's a plan. Cause lots of schools aren't on Hellmouths.
Willow: Maybe you could blow something up. They're really strict about that.
Buf ...[text shortened]... er is a good argument for believing?...

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/pascal.html
[/i]I agree with the whole "Pascal's wager" argument.

Man should have a reason for submitting to God that goes beyond "hedging bets" and "what's the harm?"

L

Moves
06 Nov 12

Originally posted by Suzianne

Man should have a reason for submitting to God that goes beyond "hedging bets" and "what's the harm?"
I think you mean you disagree with Pascal's wager; or that you agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager....

Moves
06 Nov 12

Could you clarify... I am not sure how to interpret this.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
I think you mean you disagree with Pascal's wager; or that you agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager....
Right.

Isn't that the whole argument from your side?

You disagree with the wager. I'm saying one's decision to accept God and Jesus should be based on a little more than just "hedging your bets", like the wager says. So yes, I can agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 12

I'm saying that your decision to follow God should be because you love God, and that you believe His way to be the correct way.

Not because you're trying to "hedge your bets" or to have it "both ways", or as a "just in case" justification.

So yes, I agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager, as LJ brought to my attention. I was saying I agree with the atheist argument about Pascal's wager, i.e. the rejection of it, but obviously not for the same reasons. "Hedging one's bets" is not a good reason to believe in God. Faith is.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Nov 12

"not sure if srs..."?

lol

L

Moves
06 Nov 12
1 edit

Right.

Isn't that the whole argument from your side?

You disagree with the wager. I'm saying one's decision to accept God and Jesus should be based on a little more than just "hedging your bets", like the wager says. So yes, I can agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager.
I was just clarifying.

The argument for theistic belief that Blaise Pascal put forth is commonly referred to as "Pascal's Wager". Therefore, you could see how it could potentially lead to a lot of confusion if you state "I agree with the whole 'Pascal's wager' argument" when in fact what you mean is you agree with some refutation of Pascal's Wager.

I knew what you meant though. You are quite right to reject Pascal's Wager, since it is quite a bad argument.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Nov 12

Originally posted by LemonJello
You are quite right to reject Pascal's Wager, since it is quite a bad argument.
I disagree - I cannot think of a more
rational reason to believe in a god!

Its still a bad argument though, but
one no theist should reject. Because
at least it is an argument

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Nov 12

I'm saying that your decision to follow God should be because you love God, and that you believe His way to be the correct way.

Not because you're trying to "hedge your bets" or to have it "both ways", or as a "just in case" justification.

So yes, I agree with the rejection of Pascal's wager, as LJ brought to my attention. I was saying I agree with t ...[text shortened]... e reasons. "Hedging one's bets" is not a good reason to believe in God. Faith is.
My decision to follow God is because He loves me.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Moves
06 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I disagree - I cannot think of a more
rational reason to believe in a god!

Its still a bad argument though, but
one no theist should reject. Because
at least it is an argument
????

I think we are using a different meaning of the word rational.

Pascals wager is badly logically flawed.

The fact that it sounds superficially convincing doesn't make it rational given that it is
shot full with logical fallacies.

in fact the entire raison d'etre of the site I linked is pointing out that pascals wager is
a really terrible argument full of logical fallacies....

Which brings me back to "how can an argument that is known to be fatally logically flawed
be termed rational?"

Although I can see where Suzianne is coming from when she says pascals wager is a bad reason
to believe in god. (the idea that god couldn't tell those who were just hedging their bets is a perfectly
valid objection to pascals wager) I suspect that she now rejects pascal's wager because it is logically
unsound and has been totally destroyed.

Because Suzianne used to advocate pascals wager.... Then we had a discussion about it where she
accused me of using the arguments of the devil (because they were so frikin awesome apparently)
and now she doesn't use pascals wager any more....

EDIT: as this is the 'good quotes' thread....

Giles: This is madness. What could you have been thinking? You are the Slayer. Lives depend upon you. I make allowances for your youth, but I expect a certain amount of responsibility, instead of which you enslave yourself to this-this... cult.
[we see Buffy is wearing a cheerleading outfit]
Buffy: You don’t like the color?

P

Moves
06 Nov 12
3 edits

????

I think we are using a different meaning of the word rational.

Pascals wager is badly logically flawed.

The fact that it sounds superficially convincing doesn't make it rational given that it is
shot full with logical fallacies.

in fact the entire raison d'etre of the site I linked is pointing out that pascals wager is
a really terri [we see Buffy is wearing a cheerleading outfit]
Buffy: You don’t like the color?
I think that Wolfgang is actually saying that 'of all the arguments to believe in a god, Pascal's wager is the most rational'.

I.e. this fundamentally flawed argument is actually the best (or should we say 'least worst'😉 one we can come up with.

Suzienne's perfectly valid reason for rejecting it is only one of the ways that it fails.

Oh, and a quote: The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike (Delos B. McKown)

--- Penguin.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Nov 12

Author unknown
Do you feel the same way about Mohammed and Allah, or do Muslims not enjoy the same benefits as Christians when it comes to getting it wrong?