Good words for the committed.

Good words for the committed.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
05 Jul 08

Titus 2:11-15
(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
(12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
(13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
(14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
(15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

2 Timothy 2:8-15
(8) Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
(9) Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
(10) Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
(11) It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
(12) If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
(13) If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
(14) Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
(15) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Thessalonians 5:15-23
(15) See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
(16) Rejoice evermore.
(17) Pray without ceasing.
(18) In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
(19) Quench not the Spirit.
(20) Despise not prophesyings.
(21) Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
(22) Abstain from all appearance of evil.
(23) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise God!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by SmoothCowboy
(12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
(13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
(14) Who gave ...[text shortened]... soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise God!
You certainly ought to be committed.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by SmoothCowboy
(14) Who gave ...[text shortened]... soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise God!
I agree.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by rwingett
You certainly ought to be committed.
Why is it that most atheists appear so intolerant?
Is it because they are insecure, and not too sure whether or not there is a God?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
Is it because they are insecure, and not too sure whether or not there is a God?
Not really. rwingett just has a certain sense of humor.

P

Moves
05 Jul 08

Why is it that most theists appear to be so intolerant?

E

Moves
05 Jul 08

its threads like these that atheists (like myself) should not even post in; i just had to post to give my opinion though. i think if somebody wants to post their favorite bible verses, they can at least have this discussion to themselves w/ people of the same religion w/o being criticized for it. leave the criticism for the actual debates in this forum.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Jul 08

Just because someone consistently disagrees with you doesn't mean they're intolerant. I respect your right to utter whatever gibberish you want. But I am not at any time required to respect the content of the gibberish itself.

AH

Moves
05 Jul 08
2 edits

I take it then that you are one of those theists (I assume from your comment that you are a theist -If you are not then I apologise in advance 🙂) with the delusional belief that, actually, most atheists that claim to be “atheist” believe there is at least a credible chance that god exists. I can make some good educated guesses of what most atheists believe but I cannot know with total certainty what most atheists believe because I haven’t met “most atheists” and neither have you. However, I am in a better position to make some good educated guesses of what “most atheists” believe because I am an atheist and you are not.

If somebody actually believe that there was a credible chance that there is a god, why would he deny it? -and why would he call himself an “atheist” instead of an “agnostic” (although, for reasons I don’t understand, I have noted that “agnostics” are sometimes, confusingly, put in the same category as “atheist&rdquo😉 ?

Why do you think that atheists would feel ”insecure” about their belief that there is no god? -I mean, exactly what is it they would feel “insecure” about?

Even though I am an atheist, I accept the mere fact that most theists actually do believe what they say they believe when they say there is definitely a god. So, in that very narrow sense, I think I am more tolerant than you.

Sometimes an atheist is more exasperated with than intolerant of theists although that exasperation may often be confused with intolerance by some theists (and visa versa).

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
its threads like these that atheists (like myself) should not even post in; i just had to post to give my opinion though. i think if somebody wants to post their favorite bible verses, they can at least have this discussion to themselves w/ people of the same religion w/o being criticized for it. leave the criticism for the actual debates in this forum.
Now thats the attitude of a tolerant atheist !

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Jul 08

Just because someone consistently disagrees with you doesn't mean they're intolerant. I respect your right to utter whatever gibberish you want. But I am not at any time required to respect the content of the gibberish itself.
So youre a nag then.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
I take it then that you are one of those theists (I assume from your comment that you are a theist -If you are not then I apologise in advance 🙂) with the delusional belief that, actually, most atheists that claim to be “atheist” believe there is at least a credible chance that god exists. I can make some good educated guesses of what most atheists ...[text shortened]... hough that exasperation may often be confused with intolerance by some theists (and visa versa).
You never have and never will see me butt into a thread that is about atheism. I never have and never will discuss whether or not there is a God, or why people believe in God or not. That is a pointless discussion.

This thread is about Bible verses. No criticism or personall were required. So anyone entering this thread to criticise is intolerant.

Insecurity arises when there is less than sufficient information to make someone comfortable. It happens often in relationships. Telltale signs are when one person has to constantly ask for proof of the other's love or caring - constant reinforcement. Some atheist need that constant reinforcement and they get it by criticising.

AH

Moves
06 Jul 08

You never have and never will see me butt into a thread that is about atheism. I never have and never will discuss whether or not there is a God, or why people believe in God or not. That is a pointless discussion.

This thread is about Bible verses. No criticism or personall were required. So anyone entering this thread to criticise is intolerant.

Ins ...[text shortened]... nt reinforcement. Some atheist need that constant reinforcement and they get it by criticising.
..You never have and never will see me butt into a thread that is about atheism….

I may be wrong but I think that, generally, no threads are specifically about “atheism” -my reasoning here is that while “theism” is a “belief” in the sense that it makes an existential claim (I.e. “god” or “gods” exist) while, in contrast, “atheism” is a “non-belief” in the sense that it consists of the absence a certain existential claim. So therefore, a truly “atheistic” thread would not have much to talk about! -I mean, exactly what would such a thread talk about: “there is no god..” …and then what more is there to say!?

..I never have and never will discuss whether or not there is a God, or why people believe in God or not. That is a pointless discussion. ….

That may all be true but some threads are made precisely to discuss whether or not there is a god but, admittedly, not this thread.

..This thread is about Bible verses. No criticism were required.…. (misprint corrected -I think?)

Point taken.

Providing most theists agree to this, I think there should be a special “theist-only” forum. To say or post anything in this “theist-only” forum or even to view any of the posts or threads in that forum, you must first register to the “theist-only” forum by declaring yourself a theist. If you lie about that and then enter the “theist-only” forum and say there is no god, you would be expelled from that forum. That way you can have threads that are exclusively for discussion of religion but excluding discussion of whether or not there is a god.

I am not sure if it would be inappropriate for me an atheist to suggest this in the “Site Ideas forum” (because some my question my motives? -I am not sure) so if any theists are reading this and like the idea, you might consider suggest this idea in the “Site Ideas forum”?

..So anyone entering this thread to criticise is intolerant. ….

I think there is indeed some intolerance in this thread but I think you are also sometimes confusing “exasperation” with “intolerance” .Not everybody who criticises something in a thread is “intolerant“.

..Insecurity arises when there is less than sufficient information to make someone comfortable…

In the context of atheists, “sufficient information” about what? -remember that atheism is not really a belief, it is a non-belief. It is not the atheist that is making the existential claim, it is the theist. So the burden of proof is on the theist to rationally justify his existential claim. All the “information “ an atheist requires to justify his non-belief is the absence of evidence supporting that existential claim.
So what is the premise for you belief that atheists feel “insecure”? -insecure about what?

… It happens often in relationships. Telltale signs are when one person has to constantly ask for proof of the other's love or caring - constant reinforcement. ….

That analogy doesn’t work:
two people that love each other generally agree that they should love each other, but, atheists and theists don’t agree that they should agree with each others beliefs so there is no nothing there between them there that requires “constant reinforcement” -unless you mean the fact that they disagree needs “constant reinforcement”?

..Some atheist need that constant reinforcement and they get it by criticising.….

Now I assume what you mean by “constant reinforcement” in the above proposition is “constant reinforcement to reinforce their belief” which, confusingly, wasn’t what you meant by it in the previous proposition you made? -but, in any case, atheism is a no-belief so there is not much there to “reinforcement”! -so your proposition is wrong.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
06 Jul 08

Sound thinking post!

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
06 Jul 08

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
[b]..You never have and never will see me butt into a thread that is about atheism….

I may be wrong but I think that, generally, no threads are specifically about “atheism” -my reasoning here is that while “theism” is a “belief” in the sense that it makes an existential claim (I.e. “god” or “gods” exist) while, in contrast, “atheism” is a “non ...[text shortened]... sm is a no-belief so there is not much there to “reinforcement”! -so your proposition is wrong.[/b]
Post read and understood. Thanks.