1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 10:353 edits
    Can good works only make you 'righteous' in the sight of God? Or anything you do on your own accord for that matter.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 11:19
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Can good works only make you 'righteous' in the sight of God? Or anything you do on your own accord for that matter.
    How did Jesus pick his disciples?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 13:08
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    How did Jesus pick his disciples?
    Can we discuss that after you respond to the OP?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:052 edits
    Can we discuss that after you respond to the OP?
    They were picked on the basis of their righteousness. God selected these people. Eg Nathanael: " .. Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! ..". So Nathanael was righteous in the sight of God.

There are/were good people all over the world from Adam to now.. good people that do good works and live righteously. How they become righteous seem to be your problem. I dont know why that is an issue. What is important is that they are.

The following is worth considering:

Nobody is is righteous enough for the gift of eternal life from God. But to get the gift of eternal life, one must meet some minimum level of righteousness as defined by Jesus. Claiming to believe and to have faith is insufficient as the bible states clearly several times.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:121 edit
    They were picked on the basis of their righteousness. God selected these people. Eg Nathanael: " .. Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! ..". So Nathanael was righteous in the sight of God.

There are/were good people all over the world from Adam to now.. good people that do good works and live righteously. How they become righteous s ...[text shortened]... Claiming to believe and to have faith is insufficient as the bible states clearly several times.
    So actually Jesus didn't have to die for all the good people?

How do you interpret "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God?"
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:131 edit
    So actually Jesus didn't have to die for all the good people?
    You asked that and I explained that already. Im not going to repeat it.
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:16
    I explained that already. Im not going to repeat it.
    You say Jesus died for everybody but some people are good enough to get into Heaven with their own bit of minimum righteousness? Sorry but that doesn't make sense.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:17
    You say Jesus died for everybody but some people are good enough to get into Heaven with their own bit of minimum righteousness? Sorry but that doesn't make sense.
    I never said that.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:21
    I never said that.
    I see you went back and edited your post. Let's take your edited post:

Nobody is is righteous enough for the gift of eternal life from God. But to get the gift of eternal life, one must meet some minimum level of righteousness as defined by Jesus.

If the first sentence is true, then second one can't be true. It makes no sense.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:30
    I see you went back and edited your post. Let's take your edited post:

[b]Nobody is is righteous enough for the gift of eternal life from God. But to get the gift of eternal life, one must meet some minimum level of righteousness as defined by Jesus.

If the first sentence is true, then second one can't be true. It makes no sense.[/b]
    You have a short memory because these questions you asked before and I responded.

Look .. Im done .
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 14:56
    You have a short memory because these questions you asked before and I responded.

Look .. Im done .
    Yes and I pointed out the contradiction in your response, i.e. nobody is righteous enough for eternal life but some are righteous enough to meet the minimum level.

You are welcome to believe something that doesn't make sense. That is your choice.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 16:271 edit

There are/were good people all over the world from Adam to now.. good people that do good works and live righteously. How they become righteous s ...[text shortened]... Claiming to believe and to have faith is insufficient as the bible states clearly several times.
    A statement made during the meeting does not mean that was the reason for him being
    picked. It is simply a statement about the man, and no guile also does not mean he was
    righteous before God, that is you inserting something into scripture that is not there as is
    your habit.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    A statement made during the meeting does not mean that was the reason for him being
    picked. It is simply a statement about the man, and no guile also does not mean he was
    righteous before God, that is you inserting something into scripture that is not there as is
    your habit.
    We also see that Peter fell down and besought Jesus to depart from him. He felt deeply unworthy. Who knows the secret sins which were on his conscience.

What Rajk999 says of Nathaniel we could not say was true of all the disciples. The arguable leader of them, Peter, confessed on the spot that he was a sinful man.

" And when Simon Peter saw this [the miraculous catch of many fish] he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, Lord. " (Luke 5:8)

We see Jesus praying throughout the entire night when He chose twelve out of the seventy to be apostles. I am sure He was praying for those special ones He would choose.

Rajk999 should know also that one of them He knew from the beginning, would be a traitor- Judas.

"Jesus answered them, Was it not I who chose you, the twelve? Yet one of you is a devil.

Now He spoke of Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, would betray him." (John 6:70,71)

He chose us, not because of works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His own purpose (Titus 3:5)
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    We also see that Peter fell down and besought Jesus to depart from him. He felt deeply unworthy. Who knows the secret sins which were on his conscience.

What Rajk999 says of Nathaniel we could not say was true of all the disciples. The arguable leader of them, [b]Peter
    , confessed on the spot that he was a sinful man.

[quote] " And when Simon P ...[text shortened]... f works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His own purpose [b](Titus 3:5)[/b]
    All people are sinners. Who is arguing that?
    Some are righteous and some are evil, but they are all still sinners.
    Jesus knows who they are.
    He chose 12 and 11 were righteous and 1 was evil... but all still sinners

Mans righteousness is not righteous enough for God. Again who is arguing that?
    Jesus will welcome those who are righteous [sinners] in His estimation into the Kingdom of God.
    Jesus will not welcome those who are unrighteous [sinners] into the Kingdom
    Jesus said that. Feel free to ague with him if you disagree.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 23:54
    All people are sinners. Who is arguing that?
    Some are righteous and some are evil, but they are all still sinners.
    Jesus knows who they are.
    He chose 12 and 11 were righteous and 1 was evil... but all still sinners

Mans righteousness is not righteous enough for God. Again who is arguing that?
    Jesus will welcome those who are righteous [sinners] in His ...[text shortened]... ghteous [sinners] into the Kingdom
    Jesus said that. Feel free to ague with him if you disagree.
    Romans 3: 10-12 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Do you think Romans 3: 10-12 is a lie?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree