1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 07:27
    @suzianne said
    "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." -- Matthew 22:37-40, KJV

The wheat follows these. The chaff does not.
    ...[text shortened]... said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" -- John 10:26-27, KJV
    Yes, I realize the Bible makes clear God does 'not' love the chaff. I'm asking, why not?

Does a parent not love a wayward child?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 08:42
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Yes, I realize the Bible makes clear God does 'not' love the chaff. I'm asking, why not?

Does a parent not love a wayward child?
    All joking aside isn't there a point when even a parent ceases to love their offspring?
    (I think there have been some case on the news)

Could you still love a child who tortured others?
    (It's hard for me to consider not loving my daughters ...)
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 13:091 edit
    @wolfgang59 said

Could you still love a child who tortured others?
    As a human, probably not.

As a perfectly loving deity...
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 20:12
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It would appear you are not interested in actual discussion of your positions.

Which is fine. If all you want out of this forum is to hear yourself talk, that is up to you.
    I've actually been discussing my positions here for years, but those discussions seem to always devolve into insinuations of personal criticisms.

Is it your belief, or is it just your opinion, that evil actually exists?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 20:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Either God can not prevent evil or He will not. If He can not then He is not all-powerful and if He will not then He is not perfectly loving. Due to the existence of evil, God can not be both.

That's the general contradiction.
    You're being presumptuous.

I'm assuming you believe evil exists, but you also don't believe God does. How can you know whether or not God can be both all-powerful and perfectly loving while at the same time allowing evil to exist knowing that He will not allow evil to exist forever?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 20:27
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Why would an all-loving God require such a test?!
    It's not a "test". Man has already failed. What's left to do is to believe in the solution to the problem of evil, on an individual basis.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 20:281 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Why doesn't an all-loving God love the chaff?
    He does.

Don't let Rajk tell you otherwise.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 21:20
    @secondson said
    You're being presumptuous.

I'm assuming you believe evil exists, but you also don't believe God does. How can you know whether or not God can be both all-powerful and perfectly loving while at the same time allowing evil to exist knowing that He will not allow evil to exist forever?
    I was presenting you with the general contradiction as contemplated by philosophers over the centuries. It is not a contradiction I alone identified last Tuesday.

It is a contradiction of logic. X 'can' stop something and X 'wants' to stop it. So why doesn't X stop it?

(And this contradiction is not mitigated by an eventual end to the evil. Not at all).
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Aug '20 21:22
    @secondson said
    He does.

Don't let Rajk tell you otherwise.
    Rajk hasn't been part of this conversation.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 13:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Rajk hasn't been part of this conversation.
    I thought I'd throw that in there since he's of the position that thinks God hates sinners.

His logic stems from the same mindset that produces the idea that causes one to question the love of God for His creation.

You asked, "Why doesn't an all-loving God love the chaff"? To that I ask why wouldn't He?

Why would you think God doesn't love the chaff? Of course someone will come along and take a verse out of context as evidence to the contrary casting doubt on the veracity and immutability of the true and living God.

How else might one expect that I should respond to the logic of the unbelieving, and of someone with a heretical systematic theology.

I stand my ground. Probably boring you to death, but oh well. 😔
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 15:26
    @secondson said
    I thought I'd throw that in there since he's of the position that thinks God hates sinners.

His logic stems from the same mindset that produces the idea that causes one to question the love of God for His creation.

You asked, "Why doesn't an all-loving God love the chaff"? To that I ask why wouldn't He?

Why would you think God doesn't love the chaff? Of course som ...[text shortened]... a heretical systematic theology.

I stand my ground. Probably boring you to death, but oh well. 😔
    Happy for you to stand your ground sir.

If 'you' had the power to stop an ant being squashed and really wanted to prevent that ant being squashed, wouldn't it be reasonable of me to assume you would stop the ant being squashed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree