1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 15:20
    Just a quick thought. When god has done it's thing, end of days , good souls up there baddies down below etc, will the whole process be repeated again? After all, you've got to ask the question , why start the whole thing in the first place, maybe god was bored just" being", perhaps all we are is a distraction?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 16:36
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Just a quick thought. When god has done it's thing, end of days , good souls up there baddies down below etc, will the whole process be repeated again? After all, you've got to ask the question , why start the whole thing in the first place, maybe god was bored just" being", perhaps all we are is a distraction?
    "What motivated God?" would be a worthy topic, if given serious consideration. Nonbelievers can approach this in the same way as the question, "What motivated Hamlet?"
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 17:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    "What motivated God?" would be a worthy topic, if given serious consideration. Nonbelievers can approach this in the same way as the question, "What motivated Hamlet?"
    Yep, that was the general idea.
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 17:50
    Yep, that was the general idea.
    Its like what gets u out of bed on a morning, if u have nothing in your life u get a pet maybe we are Gods Pests(not a typo)
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 20:08
    And the atheists complain that theists don't get them.

Apparently, they haven't been listening to the theists either.

Nice to know all the time spent here explaining and arguing points is just 'dust in the wind' to some people.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 20:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Nice to know all the time spent here explaining and arguing points is just 'dust in the wind' to some people.
    I realise that the reevaluation of certain firmly held concepts is alien to most religious people, being slaves to an "absolute truth" and using Cognitive Dissonance to protect themselves. However, it is a good job that others challenge and reevaluate EVERYTHING, for example, Rutherford/Einstein etc , enjoy your Sat Nav and other goodies!
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 21:25
    I realise that the reevaluation of certain firmly held concepts is alien to most religious people, being slaves to an "absolute truth" and using Cognitive Dissonance to protect themselves. However, it is a good job that others challenge and reevaluate EVERYTHING, for example, Rutherford/Einstein etc , enjoy your Sat Nav and other goodies!
    I think you have your cart firmly before the horse, here.

But if you've read practically anything I've written in this forum, you'd know this.
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 21:471 edit
    I think you have your cart firmly before the horse, here.

But if you've read practically anything I've written in this forum, you'd know this.
    At the risk of being disparaging (I don't mean to be) you are one among many Suzianne. Bit of a self centered response don't you think? Or has that thread about yourself gone to your head(That is probably a sin 🙂 ).
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 22:35
    At the risk of being disparaging (I don't mean to be) you are one among many Suzianne. Bit of a self centered response don't you think? Or has that thread about yourself gone to your head(That is probably a sin 🙂 ).
    What we enjoy here is a relatively closed community. We all have been here so long, that we end up "getting" where the others are coming from just from repetition, if nothing else. This is also good, because we don't have to re-state our "credo" or tenets every time we want to remark on something.

Yes, I'm one among many, but even the hard-core atheists here have learned not to lump me in with the creationists here and I have even had many a discussion with other Christians here and I have certain views that simply are not part of the majority. And I'm certainly not alone in this regard. Everyone has their own set of beliefs, or non-beliefs, that separate them from the "herd".

So yeah, I'm one among many, but I'm also my own person. This is my point. Atheists all want their own distinction for what they believe, and they complain when theists lump them together, yet a lot of them lump all theists together, but even lumping all Christians, to be specific, together is a mistake.
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 22:58
    What we enjoy here is a relatively closed community. We all have been here so long, that we end up "getting" where the others are coming from just from repetition, if nothing else. This is also good, because we don't have to re-state our "credo" or tenets every time we want to remark on something.

Yes, I'm one among many, but even the hard-core atheist ...[text shortened]... mp all theists together, but even lumping all Christians, to be specific, together is a mistake.
    Fair enough, but I don't think a closed community is a good thing. Surely constant reevaluation of beliefs and concepts is essential, or are we so fixed in our outlook nothing changes? Yes, I realise that you are more open to new concepts than other more "extreme" christians. But in that respect you are far more of a challenge than the loonies BECAUSE you can be so reasonable ! From an Atheistic point of view, you are a challenge 🙂.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 23:391 edit
    Fair enough, but I don't think a closed community is a good thing. Surely constant reevaluation of beliefs and concepts is essential, or are we so fixed in our outlook nothing changes? Yes, I realise that you are more open to new concepts than other more "extreme" christians. But in that respect you are far more of a challenge than the loonies BECAUSE you can be so reasonable ! From an Atheistic point of view, you are a challenge 🙂.
    Eh, truth is truth.

If what I believe is the truth, then what in the world would motivate me to change my belief? This is the strength of faith. It's also one reason (not the only reason, and far from the most important reason) I say that my belief is knowledge and not just "blind faith".

Don't get me wrong. I could be wrong on minor points. I recently posted a topic about the Rapture because I found my beliefs about it changing. But my core beliefs are based in revealed truth. And as such, I don't expect they'll be changing. There's no reason to change them. Not like the weather and certainly not like my underwear. God doesn't change.

I like that I'm a challenge. I like that googlefudge brings his "A" game when he argues with me. 🙂
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 00:02
    Eh, truth is truth.

If what I believe is the truth, then what in the world would motivate me to change my belief? This is the strength of faith. It's also one reason (not the only reason, and far from the most important reason) I say that my belief is knowledge and not just "blind faith".

Don't get me wrong. I could be wrong on minor points. I rec ...[text shortened]... e that I'm a challenge. I like that googlefudge brings his "A" game when he argues with me. 🙂
    You said you could be wrong on "minor" points, but don't minor points flow from major ones? If not, the "minor " points become the foundation . This is why I think you must question everything. Not to do so must confine your thinking, thinking outside the box can lead to unimagined ideas. Looking at it from a religious perspective, why would a god wish to to limit our ability to think?
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 00:21
    Eh, truth is truth.

Don't get me wrong. I could be wrong on minor points. I rec ...[text shortened]... e that I'm a challenge. I like that googlefudge brings his "A" game when he argues with me. 🙂
    I note however that you have not substantively answered my questions in
    my thread about how memory is fragile and how that among other things
    must make us question eyewitness "personal experiences" of the supernatural.
    Even when those experiences are our own.

Here is a link to the post and thread in question.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=162877&page=10#post_3365798
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 01:191 edit

I think of God's love of the world, His desire to share His glory, and John 3:16 as indicative of God's motivation, at least the God of the NT. Of course I don't know what the Quran says. Probably similar, except for the part about God's Son.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '15 06:30
    Some believe this is a repeat if you read the gap theory debate. I don't
    think it is, and to answer your question, no idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree