1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    30 Oct '05 10:07
    Pop culture hijinks, or occult nightmare?
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '05
    Moves
    31794
    30 Oct '05 10:22
    's just spooky. skeletons, that kind of thing :-)
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    30 Oct '05 18:46
    Another day for the Business community to make money. Same goes for Xmas, Valentines day, etc.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    30 Oct '05 18:52
    Whereas, Xmas and Easter are xtian holidays that result from the xtian church hijacking pagan holidays, Halloween is a secular holiday rooted in an xtian one: the evening prior to All Saints Day. Yet, it too, has roots in paganism. So, like the easter bunny and Santa Claus, the creepiness of Halloween reflects the persistence of ancient pagan celebrations despite the efforts of the Church to replace these pagan celebrations with xtian ones.
  5. Forgotten
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    4459
    30 Oct '05 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Whereas, Xmas and Easter are xtian holidays that result from the xtian church hijacking pagan holidays, Halloween is a secular holiday rooted in an xtian one: the evening prior to All Saints Day. Yet, it too, has roots in paganism. So, like the easter bunny and Santa Claus, the creepiness of Halloween reflects the persistence of ancient pagan celebrations despite the efforts of the Church to replace these pagan celebrations with xtian ones.
    well said sir
    i was going to make a similar comment but i think you did it first
    and perhaps more well stated than i would have put it
    it is a pagan fest for communing with the dead
    my favorite holiday just because its creepy
    but i think x mas is creepy and somber more than joyfull
    the old x mas carrols in minor keys and such are creepy lol
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    30 Oct '05 21:51
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    well said sir
    i was going to make a similar comment but i think you did it first
    and perhaps more well stated than i would have put it
    it is a pagan fest for communing with the dead
    my favorite holiday just because its creepy
    but i think x mas is creepy and somber more than joyfull
    the old x mas carrols in minor keys and such are creepy lol
    This holiday gets less and less people every year.

    I remember 10 years ago I would get the door ever 5 minutes. Last year olny 5 time.

    I think it is because of 9/11 people just don't go out anymore. They have the fear that the evil one gives them instead of faith trusting in God.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    30 Oct '05 22:17
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    They have the fear that the evil one gives them instead of faith trusting in God.
    God, please grant me the faith to endure Trick-'o'Treatin' for I haven't been since 1972.
  8. Forgotten
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    4459
    30 Oct '05 22:41
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    This holiday gets less and less people every year.

    I remember 10 years ago I would get the door ever 5 minutes. Last year olny 5 time.

    I think it is because of 9/11 people just don't go out anymore. They have the fear that the evil one gives them instead of faith trusting in God.
    no dude
    they are tired of those lame little tootsie rolls you hand out
    get some of those big snickers bars
    they will be banging on ur door all night
  9. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Joined
    13 Jul '05
    Moves
    13232
    31 Oct '05 00:01
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    well said sir
    i was going to make a similar comment but i think you did it first
    and perhaps more well stated than i would have put it
    it is a pagan fest for communing with the dead
    my favorite holiday just because its creepy
    but i think x mas is creepy and somber more than joyfull
    the old x mas carrols in minor keys and such are creepy lol
    I love the old minor key christmas songs. New stuff, like anything in the last 100 years maybe, is just too... well I don't know what word I want, but I don't like them.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Joined
    13 Jul '05
    Moves
    13232
    31 Oct '05 00:02
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    This holiday gets less and less people every year.

    I remember 10 years ago I would get the door ever 5 minutes. Last year olny 5 time.

    I think it is because of 9/11 people just don't go out anymore. They have the fear that the evil one gives them instead of faith trusting in God.
    It is more about trusting in the creepy pedophile next door not to put razors in your candy or whatever. I think people are overly paranoid, but you don't need to be religious to trust people. The only thing people need is just a little less stupidity.
  11. Colorado
    Joined
    11 May '04
    Moves
    11981
    31 Oct '05 00:18
    Hundreds arrested during Halloween bash
    Police: Most arrests alcohol-related

    Sunday, October 30, 2005; Posted: 5:41 p.m. EST (22:41 GMT)

    What Is This? MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- Police used repeated bursts of pepper spray early Sunday to break up a crowd of Halloween celebrants, part of a weekend of revelry in which more than 400 people were arrested.
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    31 Oct '05 00:22
    Is the United States the only place in the world that observes this holiday?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    31 Oct '05 01:23
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    no dude
    they are tired of those lame little tootsie rolls you hand out
    get some of those big snickers bars
    they will be banging on ur door all night
    I don't like Tootsie rolls, I get Mix candy.
  14. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    31 Oct '05 06:18
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is the United States the only place in the world that observes this holiday?
    No, absolutely not. It is a mainly Western phenomenon, though.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    23634
    31 Oct '05 06:234 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is the United States the only place in the world that observes this holiday?
    All Hallow's Eve = Halloween

    Hallow = Middle English "halowen" = "holy".


    All Saints' Day [The vigil of this feast is popularly called "Hallowe'en" or "Halloween"]

    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01315a.htm




    "All Saints Day is a universal Christian Feast that honors and remembers all Christian saints, known and unknown. In the Western Church (esp. Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans) it is kept on November 1. The Orthodox Churches observe it on the first Sunday after Pentecost.

    http://users.rcn.com/tlclcms/saintori.htm
Back to Top