1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 11:51
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    "There's poetry in chaos and true anarchy strips away all pretension. One could argue that anarchy never works and inevitably ends in destruction. This too appeals to me as it is fundamentally more honest than the facade we live behind now. Most of us lucky few glide through life pretending to be civilized, making our small civic contributions and ignoring the strife the world at large suffers."

"There's poetry in chaos and true anarchy strips away all pretension."
    Poetry and chaos are mutually exclusive and pretension is as a result of chaos.

"One could argue that anarchy never works and inevitably ends in destruction. This too appeals to me as it is fundamentally more honest than the facade we live behind now."
    The "facade we live behind now" is a direct result of our rejection of order and truth. Chaos is the rejection of order and truth. Chaos has no boundaries whereby one can make an honest appeal.

"Most of us lucky few glide through life pretending to be civilized, making our small civic contributions and ignoring the strife the world at large suffers."
    Ain't it the truth! Pretenders pretending and completely unaware that they're even doing it.
    But we must make our civic contribution as best we can so as to ward off greater suffering.

Thank you for your contribution Hecate. I have a clearer sense of order and truth as a result.
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"There's poetry in chaos and true anarchy strips away all pretension. One could argue that anarchy never works and inevitably ends in destruction. This too appeals to me as it is fundamentally more honest than the facade we live behind now. Most of us lucky few glide through life pretending to be civilized, making our r your contribution Hecate. I have a clearer sense of order and truth as a result.
    [/b]Poetry and chaos are mutually exclusive and pretension is as a result of chaos. - Perhaps I should have said there is beauty in chaos. One of the purest illustrations of anarchy in action is Nature itself. Order, chaos, destruction and growth all finding an equilibrium. An anarchist society would unltimately find a similar equilibrium, but, the cost would offend our delicate sensibilities.

The "facade we live behind now" is a direct result of our rejection of order and truth. Chaos is the rejection of order and truth. Chaos has no boundaries whereby one can make an honest appeal. Chaos can have order or structure to it by virtue of taking the easiest path, facilitating change, or by various elements within it interacting with each other. Truth is irrelevant.

Ain't it the truth! Pretenders pretending and completely unaware that they're even doing it. But we must make our civic contribution as best we can so as to ward off greater suffering. I think my idea of "civic contribution" is different than yours. Very few of us can make a tangible effect upon the greater good. Your individual energy/efforts are much better spent protecting and nurturing your immediate associates (family, friends, coworkers). One of the most socially responsible things you can do is mentor and support those starting out in life. Arm them with tools to be successful. Guide their path to a successful and comfortable life. If everyone takes a similar approach they'll not only secure their own position, but, make society stronger.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Oct '09 17:11
    Poetry and chaos are mutually exclusive and pretension is as a result of chaos. - Perhaps I should have said there is beauty in chaos. One of the purest illustrations of anarchy in action is Nature itself. Order, chaos, destruction and growth all finding an equilibrium. An anarchist society would unltimately find a similar equilibrium, ...[text shortened]... similar approach they'll not only secure their own position, but, make society stronger.[/b]
    Perhaps I should have said there is beauty in chaos. One of the purest illustrations of anarchy in action is Nature itself. Order, chaos, destruction and growth all finding an equilibrium. An anarchist society would ultimately find a similar equilibrium, but, the cost would offend our delicate sensibilities.
    Then we define chaos differently. Chaos is the absence of order. IMO
    But I see your point of view. As for our sensibilities being offended, if we allowed 'chaos' to rule to affect equilibrium in society, the effect would be more chaos. Chaos breeds chaos.
    From a Biblical perspective nature is in decay as a result of the curse, so I can see why you would interpret nature as in a state of chaos in equilibrium. But nature is not in equilibrium. Nature is in a state of continuous decay punctuated by spurts of growth.

Chaos can have order or structure to it by virtue of taking the easiest path, facilitating change, or by various elements within it interacting with each other. Truth is irrelevant.
    Again, chaos resists order. By assigning order as a function of chaos is a contradiction. I have absolutely no idea why you inserted the statement 'truth is irrelevant'.

I think my idea of "civic contribution" is different than yours. Very few of us can make a tangible effect upon the greater good. Your individual energy/efforts are much better spent protecting and nurturing your immediate associates (family, friends, coworkers). One of the most socially responsible things you can do is mentor and support those starting out in life. Arm them with tools to be successful. Guide their path to a successful and comfortable life. If everyone takes a similar approach they'll not only secure their own position, but, make society stronger.
    I agree with you here, but I would add that this is exactly what the law is intended for. To bring order to what would inevitably disintegrate into chaos. Unfortunately there is just enough good being done to prevent total disaster. I say unfortunately because it just isn't going to get any better. In fact, the signs show otherwise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree