01 Jun '16 02:00
    You don't want to be a Jewish Wizard?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 02:08
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Hands up who wants to be a JW?
    I don't know about the degree of "want" [as outsiders might understand it] that's involved, but, as far as I know, a high proportion of their 'new recruits' are their own children.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 06:321 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't know about the degree of "want" [as outsiders might understand it] that's involved, but, as far as I know, a high proportion of their 'new recruits' are their own children.
    Proverbs 22:6 (NKJV)
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Is one of the most abused psychological truths in all religions and a big part of the problem we face in the world with extremism.

Yes I read that statistic about the JW recruitment profile also. It is particularly deleterious in the JWs due to the negative reinforcement of shunning.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 08:08
    Originally posted by divegeester (OP)
    No one, see.
    Volition matters.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 10:17
    No one, see.
    All the JWs of course.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 10:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    That applies to all religions and all denominations - except those that insist on celibacy.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 11:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That applies to all religions and all denominations - except those that insist on celibacy.
    Well, as far as I know a lot of Christian denominations are shrinking, while the Jehovah's Witnesses (and some charismatic denominations) are growing.

I think the question of where such growing groups are getting their new members from is quite interesting.

In the case of charismatic groups I think they often recruit believers who are disaffected with more 'traditional' Christian denominations rather than by recruiting their own children.

What is interesting with the Jehovah's Witnesses is the question of what psychological 'retribution' from their families that children who don't want to follow in their parents' footsteps might face.

Such consequences can apply to families in other denominations of course, and it would be interesting if any information about that is offered to this thread.
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 01:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, as far as I know a lot of Christian denominations are shrinking, while the Jehovah's Witnesses (and some charismatic denominations) are growing.

I think the question of where such growing groups are getting their new members from is quite interesting.

In the case of charismatic groups I think they often recruit believers who are disaffected with mo ...[text shortened]... of course, and it would be interesting if any information about that is offered to this thread.
    We still love our children.

God gave them free will too.

We don't twist anyone's arm.

We just say, "Give it (Bible study) a chance."
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 01:47
    Originally posted by roigam
    Why have so many victims of your organization's practices revealed that you do?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 05:31
    We don't twist anyone's arm....
    Yes, you do.

Your organisation bullies and coerces through the practice of shunning.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 07:252 edits
    We still love our children.

God gave them free will too.

We just say, "Give it (Bible study) a chance."
    I would not waste my time with them, they are simply looking for an argument. They have NO real interest in children's well being and simply use the emotive nature of the subject as a pretext for trolling. The last one was an epic failure and this one has failed too. People can see through his plastic exterior and the ironic part is that he thinks he is being clever.

Richard Huckle, one of the UK's most prolific paedophiles was a 'practising', Christian. He abused upwards of 200 children. The families of those children were also alleged Christians some of whom willingly gave their children to him for abuse, not a word from divegeester. He has NO interest in the welfare of children beyond what he can leverage for his hatred. Have a think about it because here he is attempting to chastise us for applying the Bibles clear admonition to 'remove what is bad from among yourselves'. When pressed upon it he could not find a single instance where his religion actually applied the teaching. His hypocrisy, his ignorance, his bigotry and his despicable use of children as a vehicle for his hatred are manifest.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 07:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I would not waste my time with them, they are simply looking for an argument. They have NO real interest in children's well being and simply use the emotive nature of the subject as a pretext for trolling. The last one was an epic failure and this one has failed too. People can see through his plastic exterior and the ironic part is that he thinks ...[text shortened]... orance, his bigotry and his despicable use of children as a vehicle for his hatred are manifest.
    Who mentioned anything about child sexual abuse?
  14. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 20:261 edit
    Yes, you do.

Your organisation bullies and coerces through the practice of shunning.
    If you are going to criticize, you should first know your subject.

JW s do not shun.

We follow the direction of God's Word the Bible:

(1 Corinthians 5:11-13) But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

So, if a person chooses to not follow the healthful teachings of the Bible, in effect they are turnig their back on God and on us too.

We don't want to be enticed in the same direction.

(1 Corinthians 15:33) Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.

If they turn away from their wrong practice, they are welcomed back.

(Luke 15:10) In the same way, I tell you, joy arises among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 20:541 edit
    If you are going to criticize, you should first know your subject.

JW s do not shun.

We follow the direction of God's Word the Bible:

(1 Corinthians 5:11-13) But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eat ...[text shortened]... 0) In the same way, I tell you, joy arises among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
    You should try explaining your rational to @beauroberts, who testified on this forum that while undergoing surgury to treat cancer he was harassed by his JW leadership because of his decision to take blood during the operation. He also talked about how the JWs had tried to come between him and his wife during this process of supposed discipline. He was largely either ignored or his testemony derided by Robbie carrobie and Galveston75.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree