1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:08
    On this 4rth of July I would like to bring up a scripture that just so happens to be engraved on the liberty bell.

Leviticus 25:10 And you shall hallow the 50th year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof; it shall be a jubile unto you, and you shall return every man unto his possession and you shall return every man unto his family.

In this year of jubile all the slaves were released and freedom was proclaimed throughout the land within the 12 tribes of Israel. However, my personal favority is 2 Corinthians 3:17. It says, "Now the Lord is that Spirit; and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty."

I just hope the ACLU does not find out about this. They will probably petition to remove the liberty bell off of state grounds if they find out it has a scripture engraved upon it. Either that or order the inscription to be taken off.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:12
    Amen to the first part. Shame on us to the second.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    On this 4rth of July I would like to bring up a scripture that just so happens to be engraved on the liberty bell.

Leviticus 25:10 And you shall hallow the 50th year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof; it shall be a jubile unto you, and you shall return every man unto his possession and you shall return every ma ...[text shortened]... ut it has a scripture engraved upon it. Either that or order the inscription to be taken off.
    Happy 5th of July!
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:15

Leviticus 25:10 And you shall hallow the 50th year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof; it shall be a jubile unto you, and you shall return every man unto his possession and you shall return every ma ...[text shortened]... ut it has a scripture engraved upon it. Either that or order the inscription to be taken off.
    I think the Supreme Court has recently ruled that there are certain situations such as the capital of Texas where certain documents do not promote religion and are part of a larger historical context. However, court houses is Kentucky were ruled unconstitutional because they promoted the religious doctrine of the Ten Commandments.

What concerns me is that there will be sermons preached where the Liberty Bell is cited as God's blessing upon this nation as His sole witness to the world. This is nonsense as well as idolatry.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 00:27
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think the Supreme Court has recently ruled that there are certain situations such as the capital of Texas where certain documents do not promote religion and are part of a larger historical context. However, court houses is Kentucky were ruled unconstitutional because they promoted the religious doctrine of the Ten Commandments.

What concerns me is ...[text shortened]... ssing upon this nation as His sole witness to the world. This is nonsense as well as idolatry.
    I believe that the US is not the sole witness for God to the world or even that we are a "Christian" nation that represents him whatsoever even though we are percieved by many to be. For the most part we are a secular nation with religious roots at best. What should be celebrated, however, is that this country has Judio-Christian roots and is what helped create our famous documents that makes references to such concepts of the equality of men in the sight of God and freedom and liberty for all.
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:061 edit

Leviticus 25:10 And you shall hallow the 50th year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof; it shall be a jubile unto you, and you shall return every man unto his possession and you shall return every ma ut it has a scripture engraved upon it. Either that or order the inscription to be taken off.
    ...And it only took the supposedly God-fearing, bible-following Yanks another 2000 years to ban slavery!

Happy 4th of July, you bunch of hippocrites.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:08
    Originally posted by howardgee
    ...And it only took the supposedly God-fearing, bible-following Yanks another 2000 years to ban slavery!

Happy 4th of July, you bunch of hippocrites.
    What is your definition of slavery?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:09
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Happy 5th of July!
    Happy 6th of July!
  9. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:10

By the way, your holiday is called the 4th of July, not the 4rth of July!

Well done for getting your own national holiday wrong, you freaking moron.
  10. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:11
    What is your definition of slavery?
    Go look up William Wilberforce, you ignoramous.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:12
    Happy 6th of July!
    It IS the 5th of July here. It is not the 6th of July there. Unless you are a time traveller.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It IS the 5th of July here. It is not the 6th of July there. Unless you are a time traveller.
    I was being prophetic.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:15
    Go look up William Wilberforce, you ignoramous.
    Ignoramous? Is this the best you can do? Anyhew, I was attempting to solicite some critical thinking skills that comes from your own thoughts on the matter, but I see I am barking up the wrong tree.
  14. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 01:17
    Ignoramous? Is this the best you can do? Anyhew, I was attempting to solicite some critical thinking skills that comes from your own thoughts on the matter, but I see I am barking up the wrong tree.
    "I see I am barking"

You should have stopped the sentence there.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 02:452 edits
    "I see I am barking"

You should have stopped the sentence there.
    I will answer the question anyway. The term slavery initiates feelings of hostility and injustice in modern times. However, slavery of the Modern era varies somewhat from that of the ancient era. In fact, scholars in Cultural Anthropology are sensitive to the differences in "New World" slavery verses slavery in ancient times. New world slavery often exhibited 3 elements that were not usually seen in ancient times. These elements include: slaves were viewed as property and commodities; their use was exclusively for labor; and their freedom was totally lacking. In short, slaves of the modern era were exploited soley for monetary gain and usually the relationship with their masters was one of indifference. This is contrary to the Biblical situation in terms of slavery. Slavery in ancient Israel was often initiated by the slave instead of the master. The slave often found slavery to be the best avenue for escaping poverty and as an added benefit, protection. The slave also lived with their masters and was somewhat part of the family unit. Thus loving relationships often formed as a result. Slaves of Israel also had rights and there were penalties for abuse. Here is a web site that explains it a little better if you are interested.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/qnoslave.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree