1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 03:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    I will answer the question anyway. The term slavery initiates feelings of hostility and injustice in modern times. However, slavery of the Modern era varies somewhat from that of the ancient era. In fact, scholars in Cultural Anthropology are sensitive to the differences in "New World" slavery verses slavery in ancient times. New world slavery often exhib ...[text shortened]... it a little better if you are interested.

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/qnoslave.html
    Ah, so modern slavery (a la 1700AD) by Christians is worse that the slavery practiced pre-christianity.

I believe you may have just shot yourself in the proverbial foot.
  2. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 03:21
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Ah, so modern slavery (a la 1700AD) by Christians is worse that the slavery practiced pre-christianity.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Maybe that's what should be engraved on the liberty bell:

"Our slavery was worse than anybody elses"
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 20:074 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

I was merely showing that not all slavery is equal and if you had read the article I provided you would understand this. In ancient times it was more due to survival issues. In modern times it was more due to greed and corruption. I do not defend those who practiced slavery to feed their greed and corruption whether they called themselves Christians or not. The Bible never says that slavery was ideal in ancient times. If slavery were ideal, why would God choose to free them every so often? Divorce is also not ideal. However, God made provisions to do so in order to accomodate the hardness of man's heart as Christ had stated in the gospels. Likewise, God made a provision for slavery to counter man's greed and corruption. If the wealthy gave to the poor and needy as they should, slavery would not have been a necessity in order for people to have survived.
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    05 Jul '06 23:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 13:51
    Originally posted by howardgee
    "If slavery were ideal, why would God choose to free them every so often?"

Thus God allowed slavery to occur when he could have prevented it.
    He sure is a bastard.
    You have to understand that when man fell (sinned) he opened himself up to various "curses" that God warned Adam about beforehand. The first and foremost was that he would physically die. The other is that he would have to work for his food. Having to work to enable to feed yourself sounds kind of "slavish" does it not? Let me ask you this, do you have debt? If you do have debt, are you not a slave to your debtor? These conditions are not ideal, but have been introduced due to man's fall and were not conditions he desired us to have.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 16:381 edit
    You have to understand that when man fell (sinned) he opened himself up to various "curses" that God warned Adam about beforehand. The first and foremost was that he would physically die. The other is that he would have to work for his food. Having to work to enable to feed yourself sounds kind of "slavish" does it not? Let me ask you this, do you have de ...[text shortened]... , but have been introduced due to man's fall and were not conditions he desired us to have.
    Talking about slavery and the various different definitions for slavery has caused me to reflect about some of Christ's teachings. Christ seems to teach that "slavery" is due to sin. In John 8:34 Christ says, "Verily, Verily, I say unto you, whosoever commits sin is a servant (slave) of sin." Once you commit a sin, you are habitually bound to continue to sin (i.e. sin nature of man). However, Christs says that he is the way the truth and the life and that if you know the truth, the truth will set you free. Therefore, Chist can set us free from the chains of habitual sinning and our slave like status to it. We can talk all day about the outward manifestations of slavery to other men, however, this is nothing compared to our very soul being incarcerated by the chains of sin. As scripture says, being a servant of sin is akin to a dog returning to his own vomit.
  7. Cosmos
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 22:58
    Talking about slavery and the various different definitions for slavery has caused me to reflect about some of Christ's teachings. Christ seems to teach that "slavery" is due to sin. In John 8:34 Christ says, "Verily, Verily, I say unto you, whosoever commits sin is a servant (slave) of sin." Once you commit a sin, you are habitually bound to continue to ...[text shortened]... in. As scripture says, being a servant of sin is akin to a dog returning to his own vomit.
    It's good to see you answering your own posts now.

As sure as hell, no-one else can be bothered trawling through your bollox.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 01:31
    It's good to see you answering your own posts now.

As sure as hell, no-one else can be bothered trawling through your bollox.
    What makes you such a delightful, happy-go-lucky kind of guy?
  9. Cosmos
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 01:48
    What makes you such a delightful, happy-go-lucky kind of guy?
    Not being bothered trawling through your bollox.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 05:33
    Not being bothered trawling through your bollox.
    Hint: don't press the power button of your mom's computer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree