1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 04:53
    Originally posted by buckky
    For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and ...[text shortened]... lts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.
    I suggest leaving buckky's thread now. He is done with it, and all of this can be taken elsewhere.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 13:251 edit
    Originally posted by buckky
    For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and lts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.
    You may know that on the so-called "Sermon on the Mount" Jesus gave a long list of Beatitudes. Some have called this Matthew chapter 5 "The Constitution of the Kingdom".

But the very first thing He said to head the list is signigicant -

"And opening His mouth, He taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of the heavens." (Matt. 5:2,3)

To be poor in spirit is much the opposite to being self satisfied, self content, and filled up with self assurance. One is poor in spirit whose inward being is made more opened, especially more opened to the possibility of God's Person and God's help.

Circumstances have perhaps done something in you to make you more "poor in spirit" and therefore opened up to the possibility of God.

I assure you that a "better person" is always opened in their heart to Christ and God. It is worse off to be so filled up with thinking one's self wise to be "rich" in spirit so that nothing can be received from heavenly Father.

Be careful of those who would close you up again. It is better to be opened to God and "poor in spirit" that we can receive from God the true riches of His life and presence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree