1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 13:25
    For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and people of faith have come out of the woodwork with good will. It makes me see the good in people that I was blinded to before .Not to say that my non believer friends have not been very supportive and nice, but I'm amazed at how people that hardly know me take time out to offer a kind word. There is a spirit out there that I can feel through the kindness of people that melts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 13:39
    Originally posted by buckky
    For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and ...[text shortened]... lts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.
    We are always evolving and adapting, especially in the face of the bigger challenges that life places before us. Good luck and best wishes for the time ahead. If your experience turns you into an even better person with an even more open heart and mind, be sure to share it with us here from time to time, if you find the time. 🙂
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 13:55
    For many years I've been a doubter when it comes to religion. So much of it makes no sense. I made fun of those that had a certain faith that I thought was wacky, and felt justified in my mocking behavior. I still can't come to grips with a lot of the stuff out there, but I have changed my tune recently. About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer, and ...[text shortened]... lts my heart. Maybe this cancer will turn me into a better person with a open heart and mind.
    Sorry to hear about the cancer. It is unfortunate that it took a personal ailment to make you change your 'tune'. Many here on this site continue to do what you had done here for years [ridiculing the religious]. I really dont understand the logic of those who do that, even though I have a brother who is an atheist of the worst kind.

Many have won the battle against cancer and together with a changed spiritual and personal attitude you might be on the winning side. Good luck.

James 5:16 ... pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 15:41
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I really dont understand the logic of those who do that, even though I have a brother who is an atheist of the worst kind.
    Its very simple. If you think someone is acting irrationally and/or believes irrational things, one of ways we try to correct them is to ridicule them. I must admit that it is often the least effective method, however we all try it from time to time - and as far as I can tell the use of such tactics is hardly unique to atheists.
    I must also point out that the tactic is more offensive to those that are unsure of their beliefs. I for one am never really bothered by a theists attempts to ridicule my atheism, and I have met theists who would not be bothered by an atheists attempts to ridicule their theism.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 16:07
    Best wishes to you. I notice from having friends and kin going through this, that cancer has a way of bring about changes in outlook, often bringing people a clearer realization of what matters in their lives. We have something to learn from you if you feel like sharing your thoughts along the way, but if you don't feel like it, that might only mean you are focusing on something else that matters most to you. Good luck, too.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '12 17:06
    I really dont understand the logic of those who do that, even though I have a brother who is an atheist of the worst kind.
    An excellent example is Ricky Gervais on Noah Thread 147724
    I think you will find that even non-Young Earth Creationist Christians would find that it makes a good point. The question is whether or not any of the people it targets are affected positively by it, and whether or not it is intended to affect them positively, or has some other purpose.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 03:32
    Keep yourself upbeat, if possible . Your physical world is going to throw up all sorts of concerns. Keep focused.

Everyone has their part to play in your drama.

Good luck... i am curious to know if you have a dire outlook or ...

Look for the void in all situations to help you along ...
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 03:59
    And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
    (Romans 8:28 NKJV)
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 04:18
    Best wishes to you.
    Open heart and mind love the unknown; hopefully you will love your image whose meaning was unknown, and transmit it. The impossible just takes a little longer.
    May You Always Be Happy
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 08:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its very simple. If you think someone is acting irrationally and/or believes irrational things, one of ways we try to correct them is to ridicule them. I must admit that it is often the least effective method, however we all try it from time to time - and as far as I can tell the use of such tactics is hardly unique to atheists.
    I must also point out tha ...[text shortened]... d I have met theists who would not be bothered by an atheists attempts to ridicule their theism.
    I have found the ridicule to be far more onesided with theists on the receiving end .. just my observation.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 08:43
    An excellent example is Ricky Gervais on Noah Thread 147724
    I think you will find that even non-Young Earth Creationist Christians would find that it makes a good point. The question is whether or not any of the people it targets are affected positively by it, and whether or not it is intended to affect them positively, or has some other purpose.
    To be honest I never really open those links. I dont participate in discussions about whether or not God exists because it is a waste of time.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 08:50
    I have found the ridicule to be far more onesided with theists on the receiving end .. just my observation.
    There are two reasons for that:
    1. You are a theist, so you notice it more in that direction.
    2. Theists in general are more likely to be illogical and are thus easier to ridicule. You have to admit that even though you don't agree with my atheism, there is nothing illogical about it, and you similarly have to agree that many theists hold illogical beliefs (even if you do not think your own beliefs are illogical).

I have certainly seen theists ridiculing other theists, and I like to chip in with a comment that their beliefs are not logical either at which point there is an uneasy silence.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 09:01
    To be honest I never really open those links. I dont participate in discussions about whether or not God exists because it is a waste of time.
    Its basically a link to a video of comedian Ricky Gervais making fun of the Noah story. He has a childrens book version of the story and proceeds to show how stupid some of it really is. Not only is it funny, but it manages to make some very good points. Of course one could counter argue some of the points in various ways, and as I say, it may not have the desired effect on someone who believes the Noah story actually happened. But for those who do not believe it is an historical account, it makes you think 'what were the writers thinking? Are they really that stupid?'. If that was his aim, then he succeeded.

Some of us believe that religion, especially some of the more whacky stuff, enjoys far too much 'respectability'. People often will not criticize someones beliefs because they think religious beliefs somehow enjoy some sort of immunity. I think you would more readily criticise someone who believe in aliens or that the mayan calendar signals the end of the world than you would if the person was using a Biblical prophesy to make the same prediction - even when you disagree with both of them.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 03:06
    Don't think that you are alone. I think the rates are something like 1 in 3 people get cancer. It's just the human condition. Of course, I'm not trying to trivialize your situation, just trying to make you aware that you are by no means alone whether you are a person of faith or not.

As the Bible says, God causes the rain and sun to fall on the just and wicked alike. In the end what seperates the just and the wicked is our love for our fellow man and/or God. Whether you believe in God or not I think you have caught on to the fact that love is really all that matters in life. It is our only hope for a better life in the here and now as well as for a possible future life.

Prayers to ya guy!!
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 03:102 edits
    There are two reasons for that:
    1. You are a theist, so you notice it more in that direction.
    2. Theists in general are more likely to be illogical and are thus easier to ridicule. You have to admit that even though you don't agree with my atheism, there is nothing illogical about it, and you similarly have to agree that many theists hold illogical beli ...[text shortened]... a comment that their beliefs are not logical either at which point there is an uneasy silence.
    Illogical? Any words of encouragement for Buckky Mr. Spock?

My bad, I just realized we are in the "spiritual" forum. Carry on. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree