1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 12:04
    I find both the type of pointless topic this article is about, and the likening of Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings or the Narnia series laughable.

Harry Potter is an averagely well written book which happens to have hit the right market at the right time. It has not the intricacies and spellbinding wordsmithery of Tolkein's work, nor the fantastical world and imagery of Lewis's. I don't even think it's as good as Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series. It annoys the bejesus out of me when I hear people talk about its literary merits. If Rowling had been writing at the same time as any of the above, she would have been ignored utterly. Not least in my library of misgivings towards her writing is how insipid and needy Harry is becoming, how bloody bland Hermione is and how ginger the Weasley boy is. By 20 I predict Harry will suffer a mental breakdown and begin drinking heavily (or get addicted to giving himself magical orgasms), Hermione will be some Hoxton it-girl vacuuous and disenchanted, whilst the ginger will be killed in some freak boating accident.

All that aside, what really gets my goat is literary journalists or critics who see the need to incessantly over-analyse stories and extrapolate sub-texts into a need for external reference or justification in the general history of writing. Who cares that Cervantes' legacy is dead, who even reads Shakespeare? Milton? Dickens, who the Dickens is he? Lets just harp on about how much money they make and try to make ourselves sound knowledgable by referencing other writers in a pretentious and obtuse way.

Sigh...
  2. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 14:231 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I find both the type of pointless topic this article is about, and the likening of Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings or the Narnia series laughable.

Harry Potter is an averagely well written book which happens to have hit the right market at the right time. It has not the intricacies and spellbinding wordsmithery of Tolkein's work, nor the fantastical ound knowledgable by referencing other writers in a pretentious and obtuse way.

Sigh...
    NSR

One of my NSAs is Daniel Radcliffe's face 😕.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 16:01
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    One of my NSAs is Daniel Radcliffe's face 😕.
    Non-sub aversions?
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 16:49
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Non-sub aversions?
    National Society of Androids -- have you seen D.R. try to do a sad scene?
  5. The sky
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:37
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    National Society of Androids -- have you seen D.R. try to do a sad scene?
    D.R.?
  6. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:54
    D.R.?
    Daniel Radcliffe
  7. The sky
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 19:59
    Daniel Radcliffe
    Oh, of course. Dang. I have seen two of the films, so I have probably seen him try to do a sad scene, but can't say I remember anything special about it.
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 20:33
    Oh, of course. Dang. I have seen two of the films, so I have probably seen him try to do a sad scene, but can't say I remember anything special about it.
    Let's just say it's not his best skill.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 23:14
    Let's just say it's not his best skill.
    Ah well, I am an android myself, so I wouldn't notice.
  10. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    16 Jul '07 23:51
    Non-sub aversions?
    Non-sub adverts.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 11:38
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Non-sub adverts.
    Ah! Are you going to buy his face?
  12. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 11:42
    Ah! Are you going to buy his face?
    I'm annoyingly frequently told I already have it.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 12:05
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    As chess nerds, I have to imagine that many of you are Harry Potter fans.
    What do you think of this article?

Thursday, Jul. 12, 2007
    Who Dies in Harry Potter? God
    By Lev Grossman

Joanne Rowling has three fancy houses and more money than the Queen, but she still doesn't have a middle name: the K. is just an empty invention, added for effect when she ...[text shortened]... Deathly Hallows.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1642885,00.html
    Doesn't Harry Potter have godparents?
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 15:35
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Doesn't Harry Potter have godparents?
    He had a Godfather, but it's possible that it wasn't in the religious sort of "baptism sponsor" sense. I had a godson who was never baptised. It was a different sort of thing... hard to explain... But they did celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts...
  15. The sky
    Moves
    17 Jul '07 19:45
    He had a Godfather, but it's possible that it wasn't in the religious sort of "baptism sponsor" sense. I had a godson who was never baptised. It was a different sort of thing... hard to explain... But they did celebrate Christmas at Hogwarts...
    They had an equivalent of "godparents" in East Germany (using the same German word, which works better than in English because it doesn't contain anything referring to a god).

Christmas is celebrated in Japan, too, even though most Japanese people aren't Christian. I also know many atheists in Germany or Norway who celebrate Christmas. I can't remember anything religious about the Christmas celebration at Hogwarts, I think it was mostly about Christmas decoration, a big dinner and presents.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree