Harry Potter and God

Harry Potter and God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
18 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Nemesio

Rowling's work is so familiar that we've forgotten how radical it really is. Look at her literary forebears. In The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien fused his ardent Catholicism with a deep, nostalgic love for the unspoiled English landscape. C.S. Lewis was a devout Anglican whose Chronicles of Narnia forms an extended argument for Christian faith. N he answer is easy: God....
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1642885,00.html
I'm wondering if the same things could be said about L. Frank Baums' books like The Wonderful Wizard of Oz? One could not remotely say that his books contained any notion of God or Christianity. And I don't recall any popular craze for the books of Tolkien or C.S. Lewis, like there was for Baums.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
18 Jul 07

Y'all can all go screw y'allselves, 'cause I am getting my Harry Potter fix at the stroke of midnight Saturday morning.

Yeah, that's right. I pre-ordered it at a local bookstore.

And yes, I will prolly dress like a Gryffindor.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
18 Jul 07

Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
Y'all can all go screw y'allselves, 'cause I am getting my Harry Potter fix at the stroke of midnight Saturday morning.

Yeah, that's right. I pre-ordered it at a local bookstore.

And yes, I will prolly dress like a Gryffindor.
I'm too old to stay up that late. The mail carrier will deliver mine Saturday. I'll be very mature and not put up my vacation flag, but I'm off-line until I finish reading it.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
20 Jul 07

The article is inaccurate. I'm rereading book six, and a major premise of the horcrux is that you can commit a murder and in the process choose to split your soul in half. In fact, Voldy wanted to split his soul into seven parts. A soul seems to definitely be a sign of religion.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
The article is inaccurate. I'm rereading book six, and a major premise of the horcrux is that you can commit a murder and in the process choose to split your soul in half. In fact, Voldy wanted to split his soul into seven parts. A soul seems to definitely be a sign of religion.
A soul is not however a sign of a belief in a deity. There are plenty of ghosts of dead people at Hogwarts so it is clear that the concept of a soul that can exist independent of the body is there but as far as I know there is no mention of them ever going to heaven.

JE

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
A soul is not however a sign of a belief in a deity. There are plenty of ghosts of dead people at Hogwarts so it is clear that the concept of a soul that can exist independent of the body is there but as far as I know there is no mention of them ever going to heaven.
While it does not spesify, it does say that to come back as a ghost is an active choise not to move forward. The ghost does not know what it is not moving forward to, it just knows it would rather stay in the land of the living, or is too afraid to move on. What you move onto is open to interpretation, and obviously you can't know what we are moving onto, if anything, so really its fair enough for there to be no active concept of heaven within the books.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jul 07

As chess nerds, I have to imagine that many of you are Harry Potter fans.
What do you think of this article?

Thursday, Jul. 12, 2007
Who Dies in Harry Potter? God
By Lev Grossman

Joanne Rowling has three fancy houses and more money than the Queen, but she still doesn't have a middle name: the K. is just an empty invention, added for effect when she ...[text shortened]... Deathly Hallows.

I thought "God is love"...

N

The sky

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by Jake Ellison
While it does not spesify, it does say that to come back as a ghost is an active choise not to move forward. The ghost does not know what it is not moving forward to, it just knows it would rather stay in the land of the living, or is too afraid to move on. What you move onto is open to interpretation, and obviously you can't know what we are moving ont ...[text shortened]... ything, so really its fair enough for there to be no active concept of heaven within the books.
However, at the end of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", there's a rather strong suggestion that there is some sort of afterlife. So while a concept like heaven or God is not mentioned, it clearly is not "a world free of any religion or spirituality of any kind".

Cape Town

Moves
20 Jul 07

The whole series does seem to argue towards morality based on societies needs rather than a deities desire. It appears that practicing 'dark magic' is considered an option open to all and I don't remember any specific moral teaching against it but at the same time practitioners of dark magic seem to tend to break the law and get sent to Azkaban for that and not for practicing dark magic.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
The whole series does seem to argue towards morality based on societies needs rather than a deities desire. It appears that practicing 'dark magic' is considered an option open to all and I don't remember any specific moral teaching against it but at the same time practitioners of dark magic seem to tend to break the law and get sent to Azkaban for that and not for practicing dark magic.
It's an option in the same way in which doing evil or being rotten are options here. But Hogwarts refuses to teach the Dark Arts, whereas the school Viktor Krum came from taught them.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
20 Jul 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
It's an option in the same way in which doing evil or being rotten are options here. But Hogwarts refuses to teach the Dark Arts, whereas the school Viktor Krum came from taught them.
Don't be dissing the Durmstrang Institute -- that cool ghost ship they travel around in is awesome.

Accio, Book 7!

JJ

Moves
20 Jul 07

As chess nerds, I have to imagine that many of you are Harry Potter fans.
What do you think of this article?

Thursday, Jul. 12, 2007
Who Dies in Harry Potter? God
By Lev Grossman

Joanne Rowling has three fancy houses and more money than the Queen, but she still doesn't have a middle name: the K. is just an empty invention, added for effect when she ...[text shortened]... Deathly Hallows.

Good point about God=love !!!