1. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just out of curiosity, who here thinks that they have never sinned? I know, I know define sin so we can all sit around and argue about the definitions. I will make it simple for you and take some Biblical definitions of sin. Sinning is lying, stealing, murdering, bearing false witness, commiting adultery, coveting another man's wife or his posessions. I a ...[text shortened]... t avoided sin in your life are there any "perfect" people who have gone sinless before dying?
    I disagree that the Bible defines sinning as you have stated. My understanding was that sin was to do something against Gods wishes and the list you have given is merely a list of some of his wishes.

I see no reason however why anyone could not avoid knowingly committing the various acts you have listed. The question is whether a sin is still a sin if you were not aware that you did it. Lying for example. If you are not aware that what you are saying is false then are you still lying and is it still a sin?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:23
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    can you consider a sin from a child , 0 to may be 10 years.

I mean if a baby died at the edge of 5 monthes , does he falls under the category of a human dying without a sin?
    There is an age of accountability. I know of no one of faith who does not believe so. Age has to do with the mental capacity to be accountable for ones actions. Children must deveolope the ability to choose right from wrong. Age is not always the limiting factor in mental capacity, however. Due to various mental defenciencies one may never reach a state of being accountable for their actions.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree that the Bible defines sinning as you have stated. My understanding was that sin was to do something against Gods wishes and the list you have given is merely a list of some of his wishes.

I see no reason however why anyone could not avoid knowingly committing the various acts you have listed. The question is whether a sin is still a sin if ...[text shortened]... are not aware that what you are saying is false then are you still lying and is it still a sin?
    Well, the reason I gave th list I did was to avoid speculation about what sin is. However, this is appearing to be increasingly difficult as the list is continuing to be challenged. I would say that the greatest commandment is to love. Therefore, if one holds to this commandment one would never lie, murder, covet, etc. If one walks in love, throw away ALL lists.

Having said that, have you always walked in love with your fellow man? Even those who you consider to be your enemies?
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:58
    Anything goes man, the sky is the limit!!!
    Ok then, yes plenty of people have not sinnned. The person in the article bbarr cited is one example of many.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 16:191 edit
    Just out of curiosity, who here thinks that they have never sinned? I know, I know define sin so we can all sit around and argue about the definitions. I will make it simple for you and take some Biblical definitions of sin. Sinning is lying, stealing, murdering, bearing false witness, commiting adultery, coveting another man's wife or his posessions. I a ...[text shortened]... t avoided sin in your life are there any "perfect" people who have gone sinless before dying?
    Should the question be whether someone has ever sinned or whether they have a sinful nature?

We all come into this world with at most five senses as windows to the world around us. As such, we have a strong tendency to see things from one point of view - our own. We also have a strong tendency to desire what pleases ourselves - even if it is to the detriment of others. This egocentric point of view can be seen as 'natural' and 'inborn'. I believe this 'egocentric point of view' is synonymous with 'sinful nature'.

I'm not sure why this seems to be such a flashpoint for so many people.
  6. CA, USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 16:36
    Everyone "sins", and unless mentally ill, everyones knows it.
    Moreover, we know it before hand and do it anyway. That's what makes something a sin IMHO .. the knowing and then, the decision to"do."
    Knowing something is wrong (a sin) and doing it regardless (the conscience decision) is what makes that something a sin IMO.
  7. Gangster Land
    Moves
    03 May '07 17:02
    Originally posted by jammer
    Everyone "sins", and unless mentally ill, everyones knows it.
    Moreover, we know it before hand and do it anyway. That's what makes something a sin IMHO .. the knowing and then, the decision to"do."
    Knowing something is wrong (a sin) and doing it regardless (the conscience decision) is what makes that something a sin IMO.
    What is your take on Paul's insistence that we are all born with a sinful nature and due to 'original sin' we're all doomed no matter how we behave?
  8. CA, USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 17:14
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    What is your take on Paul's insistence that we are all born with a sinful nature and due to 'original sin' we're all doomed no matter how we behave?
    I'm not big on the Bible other than that portion printed in red.

Had an Uncle Paul, biggest POS i've ever known.

I see "original sin" as being born human .. with a conscience. I see the conscience as what sets us apart and "makes us" responsible for all our actions. Our "sinful nature" is, IMO, ego/desire/pride. It's the curse/gift of being self-aware, being responsible for our decisions/actions, and being suseptable(sp) to both temptation and desire.

God screwed us.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 17:34
    Originally posted by jammer
    I'm not big on the Bible other than that portion printed in red.

Had an Uncle Paul, biggest POS i've ever known.

I see "original sin" as being born human .. with a conscience. I see the conscience as what sets us apart and "makes us" responsible for all our actions. Our "sinful nature" is, IMO, ego/desire/pride. It's the curse/gift of being self-aware, ...[text shortened]... ons/actions, and being suseptable(sp) to both temptation and desire.

God screwed us.
    God screwed us.

God knew what he was doing. He didn't want robots.
  10. CA, USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 17:51
    Originally posted by Phuzudaka
    [b]God screwed us.

God knew what he was doing. He didn't want robots.[/b]
    Yeah, He just has a strange sense of humour, that's all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree