1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 08:40
    I watched this film with my wife last night and I haven't slept well since.

Probably the most disturbing "horror" film I've seen since "The Exorcist". And even more interesting than "A Dark Song".

I'm not traditionally drawn to the genre, but I enjoy quality. And this film is very well-made.

I'm posting this here in the Spirituality Forum because of its underlying themes. (Which are both psychological and spiritual.)

I'm more or less an existential nihilist. But I recognize that other belief systems may be more determinative of future world events.

Because of this, I fear that while "under the influence", modern "doomsayers" may not appreciate that the roots of their belief are much older and darker than imagined.

I'm interested in alternative views regarding ancient occult gnosticism. Has it wielded too much influence over modern western religious belief?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 08:57
    @wolfe63 said

Probably the most disturbing "horror" film I've seen since "The Exorcist". And even more interesting than "A Dark Song".

I'm not traditionally drawn to the genre, but I enjoy quality. And this film is very well-made.

I'm posting this here in the Spirituality Forum because of its underlying t ...[text shortened]... g ancient occult gnosticism. Has it wielded too much influence over modern western religious belief?
    What is the film about?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 13:02
    @wolfe63 said

I'm posting this here in the Spirituality Forum because of its underlying t ...[text shortened]... g ancient occult gnosticism. Has it wielded too much influence over modern western religious belief?
    I believe there is a god of this world Satan who hate, lies, kills. I believe him to be the father of all lies that is keeping the world in darkness and away from truth and love. The roots of all evil here begins with him and those that follow Him. Evil if we try to define it, is the absence of good, he doesn't care how you are kept from good, only that you are.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 13:26
    @kellyjay said
    The roots of all evil here begins with him and those that follow Him.
    How can one discern whether or not you follow "him"? Can one know the answer from reading your posts?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 13:27
    @kellyjay said
    I believe there is a god of this world Satan who hate, lies, kills.
    Haven't you insisted umpteen times that it is your God figure who decides when people die?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 16:13
    @wolfe63 said

I don't watch films like this. I do not appreciate horror films in general.

I read a synopsis on Wikipedia, and this film is why I do not watch these films. These kinds of films about horrific evil just give me nightmares. You called it "disturbing". Yes, disturbing. Too disturbing for me to enjoy watching it. I mean, this is beyond mere Stephen-King-type horror, beyond typical teenage slasher films. Just too disturbing.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 05:40
    @suzianne said
    I don't watch films like this. I do not appreciate horror films in general.

I read a synopsis on Wikipedia, and this film is why I do not watch these films. These kinds of films about horrific evil just give me nightmares. You called it "disturbing". Yes, disturbing. Too disturbing for me to enjoy watching it. I mean, this is beyond mere Stephen-King-type horror, beyond typical teenage slasher films. Just too disturbing.
    I watched the trailer and that wasn’t in the slightest bit scary.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 06:511 edit
    @divegeester said
    I watched the trailer and that wasn’t in the slightest bit scary.
    Scary is too subjective. I grew up in the late 80s, early 90s going to films like "Scream", "Halloween", "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Friday the 13th", "Prom Night", "My Bloody Valentine", "Sleepaway Camp", or their sequels. Scary like these, I can handle. Once it goes past this, straight into "Disturbing" territory, I'll take a hard pass.

And no doubt they left off the worst bits for the trailer, I would suppose they want people to actually go see it based on the trailer. It's when a film gets into the deep psycho-horror aspect is when I bail. This is why I never went to see "Saw" or its sequels.

In fact, I went to see "Bird Box" (blind, I had no idea what the premise in this was) and it wigged me out for a few days after.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 10:57
    @suzianne said
    Scary is too subjective. I grew up in the late 80s, early 90s going to films like "Scream", "Halloween", "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Friday the 13th", "Prom Night", "My Bloody Valentine", "Sleepaway Camp", or their sequels. Scary like these, I can handle. Once it goes past this, straight into "Disturbing" territory, I'll take a hard pass.

And no doubt they left off the ...[text shortened]... Box" (blind, I had no idea what the premise in this was) and it wigged me out for a few days after.
    There’s jumpy scary and disturbing scary. The only film I found disturbing scary was the exorcist first time around. I watched it 2 or 3 times in later years until it lost its impact. Nowadays I struggle to remember what I found so disturbing about it.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 11:031 edit
    @divegeester said
    What is the film about?
    "Hereditary is a 2018 American supernatural psychological horror drama film written and directed by Ari Aster, in his feature directorial debut. It stars Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro and Gabriel Byrne as a family haunted by a demon after the death of their secretive grandmother."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_(film)

I must say that I clicked on the film as a fluke. "Amazon Prime" has a wide variety of available films, both old and new. Neither my wife nor I had ever heard of "Hereditary". Although we enjoy stumbling upon an occasional well-storied gem; we didn't suspect that this would be one of them. But, we both like Gabriel Byrne.

Anyway, to me, the "disturbing" aspect of the film was its surprise adherence to esoteric gnosticism. This was not predictably clear early in the film. I found that the initial pacing and plot trajectory suggested more docility. I expected some degree of mystical/psychological development, but not to such terrifying depths.

Perhaps I should have done some homework. My wife was not pleased after our last "pot luck" adventure became the weirdness known as "Tusk". 🙂
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 13:50
    @wolfe63 said

I read the plot outline on Wikipedia. It sounds immensely silly. Which might just be the Wikipedia writers failing to do it justice. Films like this have been made by the ton since they could make films.
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 14:06
    @deepthought said
    I read the plot outline on Wikipedia. It sounds immensely silly. Which might just be the Wikipedia writers failing to do it justice. Films like this have been made by the ton since they could make films.
    A familiar story? Perhaps.
    But the sound, tone and pacing provide for unexpectedly strong atmospherics.
    The actors' emotional reactions have been well-coached. They seem genuine and are very human and realistic.

I stand by my evaluation.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 16:49
    @wolfe63 said
    "Hereditary is a 2018 American supernatural psychological horror drama film written and directed by Ari Aster, in his feature directorial debut. It stars Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro and Gabriel Byrne as a family haunted by a demon after the death of their secretive grandmother."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_(film)

I must say that I clicked on ...[text shortened]... My wife was not pleased after our last "pot luck" adventure became the weirdness known as "Tusk". 🙂
    Amazon Prime Video?

Ok I’ll give the 1st 30 mins a whirl.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 01:22
    @wolfe63 said
    A familiar story? Perhaps.
    But the sound, tone and pacing provide for unexpectedly strong atmospherics.
    The actors' emotional reactions have been well-coached. They seem genuine and are very human and realistic.

I stand by my evaluation.
    The difficulty for me is that there are no real world implications. What's it a metaphor for? If you want a film with genuinely alarming implications then watch Videodrome. Reality is Television.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 01:36
    @deepthought said
    The difficulty for me is that there are no real world implications. What's it a metaphor for? If you want a film with genuinely alarming implications then watch Videodrome. Reality is Television.
    One could say something along these lines about the supposed "alarming implications" of supernatural 'eternal torment' ideology.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree