1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 20:16
    as we know some muslim women must remain covered lest they send the men into a sexual frenzy. some jewish women wear wigs because their hair is too provocative. as ive mentioned before i was kicked out of the vatican for having particularly shapely calfves.

my question - is dressing with the intent of alluring the opposite sex a problem in christianity? does it make a difference if you are single or married?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 20:23
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    as we know some muslim women must remain covered lest they send the men into a sexual frenzy. some jewish women wear wigs because their hair is too provocative. as ive mentioned before i was kicked out of the vatican for having particularly shapely calfves.

my question - is dressing with the intent of alluring the opposite sex a problem in christianity? does it make a difference if you are single or married?
    Check out

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2007/03/22/christian-warriors-fighting-immodesty-one-guilt-inducing-erection-at-a-time/
  3. England
    Moves
    29 Apr '13 21:14
    I was in a group in Austria where a woman was told to leave as she had her shoulders exposed, she was in her 50s. we all laughed and the husband made the most of it. But seriously its a valid point, dressing to entice must be equated to dressing to entice, is a bikini ok on the beach but not in the pub, is a pair of shorts ok for men sitting in the park topless but not in church. Where i live girls walk around in nightwear and some shops have banned them.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 00:39

This is only my opinion, but I believe a women should dress so as to achieve her goals. If she wants to be a Catholic Nun then she should dress to coverup like a nun does. If she wants to allure a particular man to gain him as a husband then she should dress in the way she believes will do the job. But she should be careful of dressing that way in front of men she does not want to allure. That could cause problems.

Next time you go to the Vatican remenber to wear those high top boots or long dresses that cover your calves and that should solve that problem.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 01:441 edit

Probably not but within reason and with modesty in mind. I would think by the suggestion below that a woman or man would want to be attracted to the inner person more and not too destracted by the outer which as we all know will change with age.
    But trying to attract someone who is married would not be looked upon in a good light by God.

Christian Counsel on Personal Adornment.

Jesus and his apostles counseled constantly against putting trust in physical things and putting on a false show by means of material adornment. The apostle Paul said that Christian women should “adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb.” (1Ti 2:9) During the days of the apostles it was a custom among women in that world of Greek culture to go in for elaborate coiffures and other adornment. How appropriate, therefore, is Peter’s counsel to women in the Christian congregation not to put emphasis on ‘the external braiding of the hair and the putting on of gold ornaments or the wearing of outer garments’ but to let their adornment be, as with the faithful women of old, “the secret person of the heart in the incorruptible apparel of the quiet and mild spirit”!—1Pe 3:3-5.

Watchtower magazine...
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 02:02
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Probably not but within reason and with modesty in mind. I would think by the suggestion below that a woman or man would want to be attracted to the inner person more and not too destracted by the outer which as we all know will change with age.
    But trying to attract someone who is married would not be looked upon in a good light by God.

...[text shortened]... n the incorruptible apparel of the quiet and mild spirit”!—1Pe 3:3-5.

Watchtower magazine...
    Hair braiding?? Really?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 02:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hair braiding?? Really?
    Styles change. Maybe at that time it meant something different or it could be suggesting the time needed to do that was not the most efficent way to do ones daily chores? Who knows, but being modest was the thought here.
    The scriptures pretty much explain the idea behind those suggestions.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 05:35

...[text shortened]... n the incorruptible apparel of the quiet and mild spirit”!—1Pe 3:3-5.

Watchtower magazine...
    Don't overlook the fact that he was referring to the married women in the church. He was not referring to single women seeking a husband. He says "wives" in the church.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    Check out

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2007/03/22/christian-warriors-fighting-immodesty-one-guilt-inducing-erection-at-a-time/
    shocking stuff. i clicked on the link to the actual questionnaire, the results are extremely disturbing. apparently women are responsible for the thoughts that men have.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:40

Watchtower magazine...
    does the bible extend the same thinking towards men? are men encouraged to cover up parts of their body and not act in certain ways that may encourage sexual thoughts in women?
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:451 edit
    why are we designed to feel physical attraction before emotional attraction. wouldnt it work better for christians if it were the other way around?
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 08:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hair braiding?? Really?
    i reckon most men have a copy of 'hustlers hair braiding babes' i certainly do.
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:04
    why are we designed to feel physical attraction before emotional attraction. wouldnt it work better for christians if it were the other way around?
    Hmmm, I'll add that to the list for the next time god comes round for tea. Then we can have a frank discussion of the design flaws I have found. I think it's time for Man Mk II.

Now I think about it, the old bugger hasn't been round for a very long time. I think he might be avoiding me. Let me see, when was the last time he visited? Oh, about 4500 years ago. I'll have to take him off my Sol Invictus card list at this rate.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is only my opinion, but I believe a women should dress so as to achieve her goals. If she wants to be a Catholic Nun then she should dress to coverup like a nun does. If she wants to allure a particular man to gain him as a husband then she should dress in the way she believes will do the job. But she should be careful of dressing that way in front o ...[text shortened]... those high top boots or long dresses that cover your calves and that should solve that problem.
    "But she should be careful of dressing that way in front of men she does not want to allure."

how is it possible to dress to allure the man you want to gain as a husband, without other men seeing you? does this also work the other way around, do you make sure you are keeping your guns hidden with a long sleeved shirt when you strut around the old folks home?
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '13 09:17
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Hmmm, I'll add that to the list for the next time god comes round for tea. Then we can have a frank discussion of the design flaws I have found. I think it's time for Man Mk II.

Now I think about it, the old bugger hasn't been round for a very long time. I think he might be avoiding me. Let me see, when was the last time he visited? Oh, about 4500 years ago. I'll have to take him off my Sol Invictus card list at this rate.
    well if you ask the christians on here they have managed to organize a meet up, although they have only managed to pin him down to a 'soon' his schedule must be choka-block if even after 4000 years he can still only commit to a 'soon'. i wouldnt start boiling the kettle yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree