1. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184351
    08 Nov '13 07:091 edit
    Thought we could in the SF all, myself included, learn from this hierarchy of disagreement when addressing ideas we disagree with:

    1). Refuting the Central Point
    Explicitly refuting the central point
    2). Refutation
    Finding the mistake and explaining why it's mistaken, using quotes
    3). Counterargument
    Contradicting and then backing up with reasoning and supported evidence
    4). Contradiction
    Stating the opposite case with little or no supporting evidence
    5). Responding to Tone
    Criticizing the tone of the argument without addressing the substance.
    6). Ad Hominem
    Attacking the characteristics or authority of the writer without addressing
    The substance.
    7). Name Calling
    Sounds something like: you're an ass hat.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    08 Nov '13 07:31
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Thought we could in the SF all, myself included, learn from this hierarchy of disagreement when addressing ideas we disagree with:

    1). [b]Refuting the Central Point

    Explicitly refuting the central point
    2). Refutation
    Finding the mistake and explaining why it's mistaken, using quotes
    3). Counterargument
    Contradicti ...[text shortened]... g
    The substance.
    7). Name Calling
    Sounds something like: you're an ass hat.[/b]
    Complete rubbish; what would a half-brain like you know about it anyway.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    08 Nov '13 08:492 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Complete rubbish; what would a half-brain like you know about it anyway.
    hope it's a joke. it is somewhat funny to be fair. but i hope it is still a joke

    it would have been funnier if you managed to go through all his points.
  4. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Joined
    09 May '08
    Moves
    184351
    08 Nov '13 09:352 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Complete rubbish; what would a half-brain like you know about it anyway.
    Oh dear, Number 7 - proves my point,really. The more half-witted amongst grapple with the complexities of the lower echelons of the discussion hierarchy, leaving the mysteries of the upper echelons to cultivated reason and logic. Get a grip, divegeester, and refrain from commenting if you have nothing intelligent to say - and judging by previous comments of yours in other threads I am appalled by the level of ignorance you display in most matters under discussion. Appalled, but not surprised. Oh dear, you have dragged me down to your level. Guilty of number 6.

    Tell you what. I am feeling generous. Try and refute it using reason.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    08 Nov '13 09:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Complete rubbish; what would a half-brain like you know about it anyway.
    How very rude (5)
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    08 Nov '13 09:46
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it would have been funnier if you managed to go through all his points.
    Well, it wasn't a joke because it doesn't it doesn't have a punchline. You were wrong in assuming that, because it is 'somewhat funny', it is a joke.

    So I think it was an amusing post, but not a joke (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke)

    And you undermine your case by using that sneering tone, but that is not surprising from someone like you, you humourless troll.

    😉
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    08 Nov '13 09:571 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Well, it wasn't a joke because it doesn't it doesn't have a punchline. You were wrong in assuming that, because it is 'somewhat funny', it is a joke.

    So I think it was an amusing post, but not a joke (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke)

    And you undermine your case by using that sneering tone, but that is not surprising from someone like you, you humourless troll.

    😉
    you are clearly wrong because i don't like the tone of your post. it speaks volumes about how you are never correct on these forums, you english pig-dog. now go away or i shall taunt you a second time.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    08 Nov '13 11:011 edit
    "Thought we could in the SF all, myself included, learn from this hierarchy of disagreement when addressing ideas we disagree with...."

    God is; always was; and always will be.....

    There's an idea many disagree with, citing various rationales: do you agree [with me] that many disagree with this idea?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    09 Nov '13 01:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Complete rubbish; what would a half-brain like you know about it anyway.
    The funniest reply I ever read on this site was something like, "Stop the ad hominem attacks, you idiot!"
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    09 Nov '13 02:30
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you are clearly wrong because i don't like the tone of your post. it speaks volumes about how you are never correct on these forums, you english pig-dog. now go away or i shall taunt you a second time.
    This one is pretty funny to me. I liked that part about the english pig-dog.

    The Instructor
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615450
    09 Nov '13 02:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This one is pretty funny to me. I liked that part about the english pig-dog.

    The Instructor
    You should like it. It is from a religious movie called Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    09 Nov '13 02:48
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Thought we could in the SF all, myself included, learn from this hierarchy of disagreement when addressing ideas we disagree with:

    1). [b]Refuting the Central Point

    Explicitly refuting the central point
    2). Refutation
    Finding the mistake and explaining why it's mistaken, using quotes
    3). Counterargument
    Contradicti ...[text shortened]... g
    The substance.
    7). Name Calling
    Sounds something like: you're an ass hat.[/b]
    We can't all learn things in Spirituality, since some of us have learning disabilities. (1)

    This is a common error. As Dr. Norman B. Smart explains, "some forms of disagreement are tied in importance." (2)

    If we could all learn things, some of the ignoramuses on evolution would have figured it out by now. (3)

    But the bottom line is that it's simply not true. (4)

    Condescending much?! (5)

    Besides, I hardly think you are qualified to assert that. (6)

    Get out of here, you putrid sack of crap! (7)
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    09 Nov '13 02:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    We can't all learn things in Spirituality, since some of us have learning disabilities. (1)

    This is a common error. As Dr. Norman B. Smart explains, "some forms of disagreement are tied in importance." (2)

    If we could all learn things, some of the ignoramuses on evolution would have figured it out by now. (3)

    But the bottom line is that i ...[text shortened]... nk you are qualified to assert that. (6)

    Get out of here, you putrid sack of crap! (7)
    ......... nice.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    09 Nov '13 07:24
    Originally posted by caissad4
    You should like it. It is from a religious movie called Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    I did not see that movie, but I found this part about the english pig dog on Youtube.

    YouTube

    The Instructor
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86356
    09 Nov '13 08:10
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Oh dear, Number 7 - proves my point,really. The more half-witted amongst grapple with the complexities of the lower echelons of the discussion hierarchy, leaving the mysteries of the upper echelons to cultivated reason and logic. Get a grip, divegeester, and refrain from commenting if you have nothing intelligent to say - and judging by previous comments o ...[text shortened]... el. Guilty of number 6.

    Tell you what. I am feeling generous. Try and refute it using reason.
    8. Lack of sense of humour.

    Good grief.
Back to Top