2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 23:511 edit
    @galveston75 said
    Tired of bad news.......
    https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/hope-bible-verses/
    What should humans "hope" for?

There are political solutions to a lot of things that might be described as "bad news" and religious faith and morality can have a bearing on these.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 23:52
    Tired of bad news?

Join a religious cult with a history of child sacrifice, endemic bullying of its members and the covering up of child sex abuse by some of its leaders.

Sure.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 23:54
    @divegeester said
    Tired of bad news?

Join a religious cult with a history of child sacrifice, endemic bullying of its members and the covering up of child sex abuse by some of its leaders.

Sure.
    I don’t think the JWs will be hiring you to write their promotional material
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 00:121 edit
    @galveston75 said
    Tired of bad news.......
    https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/hope-bible-verses/
    One can argue, as I would, that humanity is flourishing. We can look at the indicators for health, prosperity, human rights, access to justice, access to education, life expectancy, safety, peace and happiness, and there are signs that all are improving [or better than they have ever been].

It's interesting to see religious faith making someone pessimistic and defeatist [even more so if it's like a calculated element of an ideology]. I have encountered many believers whose faith has the opposite effect.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 00:36
    @pb1022 said
    I don’t think the JWs will be hiring you to write their promotional material
    Believe me, he's about as far away as one could be with the JW's showing any interest in his opinions. But.... ones worse then him have changed their opinions of us once that actually look thru all the published crap that's not true.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 00:38
    @fmf said
    One can argue, as I would, that humanity is flourishing. We can look at the indicators for health, prosperity, human rights, access to justice, access to education, life expectancy, safety, peace and happiness, and there are signs that all are improving [or better than they have ever been].

It's interesting to see religious faith making someone pessimistic and defeatist [even ...[text shortened]... ated element of an ideology]. I have encountered many believers whose faith has the opposite effect.
    You don't pay attention to the news much do you?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 00:43
    @galveston75 said
    Perhaps I know more about the state of the world than you do? If watching "the news" ~ where, famously, "bad news sells" ~ is your primary vantage point, then maybe you are selling yourself short as a would-be commentator on the state of the world, humanity, and the issue of "hope".
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 01:021 edit
    @galveston75 said
    A reconstruction of a conversation we had 4-5 years ago, from memory, not verbatim:

galveston75: Look at the state of the world!
    FMF: If we look at a whole raft of indicators, things look pretty good, as it happens.
    galveston75: Have you not been watching the news?
    FMF: Sure I have. But I have also been watching the indicators which show great improvements in the real lives of a bigger proportion of humans than ever before in history.
    galveston75: You have your head in the sand.
    FMF: How so?
    galveston75: Did you not see that video clip on youtube of an old lady on a bus being bullied by teenagers?
    FMF: No.
    galveston75: It was awful. You don't know what's going on. What is the world coming to?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 01:08
    @galveston75 said
    Believe me, he's about as far away as one could be with the JW's showing any interest in his opinions. But.... ones worse then him have changed their opinions of us once that actually look thru all the published crap that's not true.
    Are you now claiming the the Australian Royal Commission report which exposed the deliberate covering up of thousands of cases of child sex abuse by JW leaders is “crap” and “not true”?

Are you claiming that there are dozens of documented cases of the state intervening to prevent JW parents denying life saving blood transfusions to appease the demands of your “Jehovah”?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 01:16
    @fmf said
    galveston75: Look at the state of the world!
    FMF: If we look at a whole raft of indicators, things look pretty good, as it happens.
    galveston75: Have you not been watching the news?
    FMF: Sure I have. But I have also been watching the indicators which show great improvements in the real lives of a bigger proportion of humans than ever before in history.
    galveston75: You have y ...[text shortened]... ?
    galveston75: It was awful. You don't know what's going on. What is the world coming to?
    galveston75: Did you not see that video clip on youtube of an old lady on a bus being bullied by teenagers?
    galveston75: It was awful. You didn't see that in the 1970s.
    FMF: There was no youtube in the 1970s. There was no internet.
    galveston75: I travelled on buses in the 1970s. I didn't see old ladies getting bullied by teenagers.
    FMF: You saw the quality of life indicators in the 1970s. They are even better now, 50 years later. Health, education, food security, justice, rights.
    galveston75: You don't pay attention to the news much do you?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 01:26
    @fmf said
    galveston75: It was awful. You didn't see that in the 1970s.
    FMF: There was no youtube in the 1970s. There was no internet.
    galveston75: I travelled on buses in the 1970s. I didn't see old ladies getting bullied by teenagers.
    FMF: You saw the quality of life i ...[text shortened]... tion, food security, justice, rights.
    galveston75: You don't pay attention to the news much do you?
    Really FMF, if you need to tell that to a big man, you are wasting your time because you are speaking to an uneducated person, who listens to the ranting of the church leaders and who lacks any kind of knowledge of how life was in the last 1000 yrs.

By far, the best lifestyle is what we have now in these times, even with Covid.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 03:37
    @fmf said
    What should humans "hope" for?
    It would be interesting to hear an answer to this.

Hope that there will be less suffering or injustice in the world?

Hope that God listens to prayers or intervenes in human affairs?

Hope that the "end times" come soon and "wickedness" vanquished?

Hope that one will have everlasting life?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 14:52
    @fmf said

Hope more people will come to a saving knowledge and belief in Jesus Christ.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jan '22 15:172 edits
    @fmf said

The greatest hope for the world, which will cure many of the worlds ills, is that people read, understand and do these things Jesus said to do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree