1. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    3464
    23 Feb '09 21:45
    The Dow keeps on slipping, slipping, into ... what?

    I had hoped to retire comfortably -- and restrained a lot of impulses, avoided leveraging myself to buy consumer crap or take interesting, but expensive trips, etc. I spent all I had to so my kids would have no debts on finishing school. My daughter has graduated, has a full time job and no debts.

    I have only a home mortgage on one of 2 houses. But it would take me 8 yrs just to save up the capital value in the investments I have, not counting the gain that should have accumulated and compounded in those 8 years.

    Instead, we've not seen the bottom yet.

    Ah, well, have to recall what my old man used to say: money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86393
    23 Feb '09 21:58
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    The Dow keeps on slipping, slipping, into ... what?

    I had hoped to retire comfortably -- and restrained a lot of impulses, avoided leveraging myself to buy consumer crap or take interesting, but expensive trips, etc. I spent all I had to so my kids would have no debts on finishing school. My daughter has graduated, has a full time job and no debts.

    I ...[text shortened]... call what my old man used to say: money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
    Unless you are about to kill yourself and want a priest for a confession, should this be in.....er....well not spirituality?
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    3464
    23 Feb '09 22:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Unless you are about to kill yourself and want a priest for a confession, should this be in.....er....well not spirituality?
    don't nit pick
  4. Break-twitching
    Joined
    30 Nov '08
    Moves
    1228
    24 Feb '09 03:41
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    The Dow keeps on slipping, slipping, into ... what?

    I had hoped to retire comfortably -- and restrained a lot of impulses, avoided leveraging myself to buy consumer crap or take interesting, but expensive trips, etc. I spent all I had to so my kids would have no debts on finishing school. My daughter has graduated, has a full time job and no debts.

    I ...[text shortened]... call what my old man used to say: money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
    I think the Mariana Trench is close to 7 miles deep...
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Feb '09 05:082 edits
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    I think the Mariana Trench is close to 7 miles deep...
    Well the DOW is about to 7,000 so is that the bottom?

    I say it goes to 0000........eventually. This is a fact cause its only a matter of when not if.

    I sure hope everyone here has other things to live for other than money because you may not have a reason to live before long if its the case.
  6. Break-twitching
    Joined
    30 Nov '08
    Moves
    1228
    24 Feb '09 06:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well the DOW is about to 7,000 so is that the bottom?

    I say it goes to 0000........eventually. This is a fact cause its only a matter of when not if.

    I sure hope everyone here has other things to live for other than money because you may not have a reason to live before long if its the case.
    Yeah, just as they did in 1929, people are commiting hara-kiri, and a lot of them are taking their wives and kids with them...sad....I have a gov't retirement cheque from the military...don't have faith that even that will be around for long....gonna plant me an apple tree so by the time the crap really hits the fan, I'll hire a monkey and start cranking the handle on a music box and sell apples.
  7. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Feb '09 11:38
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    don't nit pick
    have you never been on this site, nit picking is manditory.
    im bald so i get little nit pickers
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    24 Feb '09 14:00
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    Yeah, just as they did in 1929, people are commiting hara-kiri, and a lot of them are taking their wives and kids with them...sad....I have a gov't retirement cheque from the military...don't have faith that even that will be around for long....gonna plant me an apple tree so by the time the crap really hits the fan, I'll hire a monkey and start cranking the handle on a music box and sell apples.
    Got any more music boxes? In fact, do you have any more monkeys? I could use one or two.
  9. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    24 Feb '09 14:18
    Originally posted by stoker
    im bald so i get little nit pickers
    At least you won't get hairsplitters.
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    24 Feb '09 14:20
    It is amazing how many people entered the stock market with the belief that it can only go up - and only go up at the top advertised rate.
    I thought everybody knew that the stock market was a gamble, but it seems the brokers managed to make it so complicated and persuade people that by spreading your risk you have no risk etc.
    As long as you give your money to someone who benefits more when he gambles more and looses nothing when all is lost, then be ready for high risks.

    I for one am not rich enough to have money in the stock market or even own a house so you should all stop feeling so sorry for yourselves!
  11. Break-twitching
    Joined
    30 Nov '08
    Moves
    1228
    25 Feb '09 04:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Got any more music boxes? In fact, do you have any more monkeys? I could use one or two.
    Sorry, all of my monkeys have been 'spankin', I mean spoken for...😀
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 Feb '09 04:571 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I thought everybody knew that the stock market was a gamble, but it seems the brokers managed to make it so complicated and persuade people that by spreading your risk you have no risk etc.
    Now he tells us. 😠
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    25 Feb '09 04:59
    Hooray, we are saved. The DOW went up 200 points. Happy days are here again....until it goes down another 400 points tomorrow that is. 😕
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86393
    25 Feb '09 07:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is amazing how many people entered the stock market with the belief that it can only go up - and only go up at the top advertised rate.
    Very true. I have no stocks at all and therefore pay little attention to the everyday detail. I was working in Canary Wharf yesterday and even though approx 25,000 people have lost thier jobs there since September, the place was still buzzing in the retail areas.
  15. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    3464
    25 Feb '09 22:42
    Originally posted by stoker
    have you never been on this site, nit picking is manditory.
    im bald so i get little nit pickers
    If there is an anthropomorphic God who pays attention to individual biological organisms infesting a speck of dust in the vastness of this universe, one of many or even an infinite numer of potential quantum realities, why can't He send me next month's financial page so I can retire? I'll even promise to go praise his name in every Italian church I can visit in Umbria and Tuscany -- even Sicily, too.
Back to Top