1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 01:48
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how does any other religion make the world a better place? and how do atheists and agnostics make the world a better place?
    All good questions and I am all ears. 🙂
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 01:582 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I wasn't aware that Christians held the monopoly on doing good things.
    There are two ways of looking at good works. One way is by looking at doing good works as being a sacrifice we should be patted on the back for. Another way of looking at good works is simply doing what is expected of us for being considered a descent human being. If I choose the later perspective, I would be condemned for my "attempted" good works. They would be considered pathetic to say the least.

From the Christian perspective, God enters you and changes your heart. He gives you the desire for good works, thus, good works become more of a symptom of being a believer rather than what causes you to be saved. This is because all good things come from God and if he is in control of your heart good works should naturally follow more often than not.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 02:06
    Originally posted by scottishness
    I wasn't aware that Christians held the monopoly on doing good things.
    That's an interesting point. How can we possibly know? I could only speculate.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 02:09
    i was just wondering why the subject is Christianity, and not other religions. why is it always Christianity, do people here just not like it?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 02:19
    i was just wondering why the subject is Christianity, and not other religions. why is it always Christianity, do people here just not like it?
    As I said before, I am all ears. For example, what kind of outreaches does Islam have? What type of outreaches do Hindu's have? What type of outreaches do Jews have? What type of outreaches do atheists have? I am not asking because I don't believe there are none, rather, I am geniunly curious.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 13:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    I didn't say it was new news. And I'm not your pal.
    :'(:'(
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 13:20
    Originally posted by darvlay
    :'(:'(
    It's OK, Darvlay. I know that there are many fine atheists on the site ready to reach out the right hand of atheistic brotherhood to you.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It's OK, Darvlay. I know that there are many fine atheists on the site ready to reach out the right hand of atheistic brotherhood to you.
    Are you sure they won't hate me because I'm decidedly agnostic and have found inner spiritual peace with that?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 13:50
    Are you sure they won't hate me because I'm decidedly agnostic and have found inner spiritual peace with that?
    Naw! Not at all. They love ya as you is.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 14:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    What's stoppin ya?
    Money.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:13
    Only because the majority of people on this forum are christian, no other reason.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    How could the world not become a better place if more and more men and women sincerly choose to follow the examples of Christ?
    I've no idea, I'm not convinced the world could be a worse place through the absence of Christianity.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:17
    Originally posted by mrstabby
    Oxfam, Christian Aid, Tearfund, World Vision etc
    I agree these charities have indeed helped, but there are plenty of secular charities providing the same services and I don't think they fill a position that could not be taken up by others, were they to cease.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:24
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I agree these charities have indeed helped, but there are plenty of secular charities providing the same services and I don't think they fill a position that could not be taken up by others, were they to cease.
    If this was the point of your original question, than I second your sentiment. There is nothing that comes to my mind that a Christian charity offers that a secular chairty cannot perform equally as well - both functionally and morally. Christian charities merely couple their charity work with doses of evangelism.

Besides charity and missionary work, I can't really think of anything else that Christians offer to make the world a better place. If anything, they merely stifle scientific and social progress with their archaic ideology. The same goes for Islam, too.
  15. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:28
    Christian charities merely couple their charity work with doses of evangelism.

Doesn't this make them, all other things being equal, worse, since they could be seen to be putting people in need into "spiritual debt" by helping them?

The same goes for Islam, too.

And for most modern secular morality, almost all political ideologies and most basic human motivations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree