1. Gangster Land
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:20
    Originally posted by stocken
    God is the cause of all diseases, and he always has a very good reason
    for them. Reasons that makes perfect sense in accordance with his new
    testament teachings. We just can't see it with our limited wisdom. We must
    trust Him.
    So, by producing cures and vaccines against diseases scientists may be actively thwarting the will of God. Damn scientists!
  2. The sky
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:21
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    why do some believers that just because some people don't believe they have to act crazy?
    Indeed... I have often wondered about this, and I find it a bit scary. If it's only their faith which makes them want to help others and which keeps them from doing bad stuff, what if they'd lose their faith? I suspect that in most cases it's just talk, though, and that if they'd lose their faith, they'd find that they aren't suddenly compelled to go and kill someone.
  3. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:28
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    So, by producing cures and vaccines against diseases scientists may be actively thwarting the will of God. Damn scientists!
    Indeed. We shouldn't interfere with natural processes at all because
    everything is made just the way God wants it. Of course, that would include
    scientists. Erm... I mean... just trust Him, will you?
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:31
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Indeed... I have often wondered about this, and I find it a bit scary. If it's only their faith which makes them want to help others and which keeps them from doing bad stuff, what if they'd lose their faith? I suspect that in most cases it's just talk, though, and that if they'd lose their faith, they'd find that they aren't suddenly compelled to go and kill someone.
    Then again, perhaps this is the very reason a lot of them decided to go with
    the faith; because they know themselves well enough to realise they can't
    behave otherwise. Maybe they're like little children who needs constant
    supervision or something. Of course, I'm sure God's got it all covered
    though, so I wouldn't worry about it. He's a wise bloke, God.
  5. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:45
    Tell me, have you contracted Diptheria, measles, mumps, smallpox, tetnus, scarlet fever, or polio recently. Have an ear infection as a kid? And you're still alive?! Do you expect to live beyond the age of 20?

How do you get around? Ever used a plane, helicopter, ship, bus, or car. Or do you still rely on a horse and maybe a rowboat?

When you're riding your horse to work in the morning, or maybe to the church to mourn the death of yet another child, or out of town to avoid the latest plauge outbreak, do you cross any good sized bridges? Are the roads all cobblestone?

Do you wash all your clothes by hand?

When you plow the field in your small subsistance farm which can't even turn a profit and has to be moved every few years because God doesn't favor that soil anymore, are you plowing with a rock on a stick tied to your horse?

Have you ever enjoyed little conviences like listening to non-live music, talking on the telephone instead of hiring a runner, being able to stay up after sunset and work without candles, feeling sure your water is safe to drink, or having your house insulated in winter, electricity, playing chess quickly and easily with people far away?

The list goes on....

But what has science done for me lately you say.

Internet, cell phones, DNA fingerprinting and other CSI techniques, computers, batteries, TV, radio, hearing aides, transistors and electronics, there are new advances in medicine constantly, nanotech is starting to come into play, and perhaps most importantly, we are increasingly more able to appreciate the world around us and lead fufilling lives by all these minor conviences and time/labor saving devices.

I'd go so far as to say that no part of your life remains untouched by science. Even your faith has to deal with questions raised by science and apparently that makes you bitter and willfully ignorant.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 16:59
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Tell me, have you contracted Diptheria, measles, mumps, smallpox, tetnus, scarlet fever, or polio recently. Have an ear infection as a kid? And you're still alive?! Do you expect to live beyond the age of 20?

How do you get around? Ever used a plane, helicopter, ship, bus, or car. Or do you still rely on a horse and maybe a rowboat?

When yo ...[text shortened]... th questions raised by science and apparently that makes you bitter and willfully ignorant.
    * Looking left and right *

Uhm, who exactly are you talking with? 😕
  7. The sky
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:08
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Even your faith has to deal with questions raised by science and apparently that makes you bitter and willfully ignorant.
    Funnily enough, science has even helped Christians to spread Christianity more easily and reach people they otherwise wouldn't have been able to reach.

I don't understand that concept of "science vs Christianity" josephw seems to promote. Science is not a religion, and religion is not scientific. Most Christians don't have a problem with science. Many scientists are religious.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:09
    * Looking left and right *
    Right behind you! 😲
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:15
    Right behind you! 😲
    Aaaargh!
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:37
    God is the cause of all diseases, and he always has a very good reason
    for them. Reasons that makes perfect sense in accordance with his new
    testament teachings. We just can't see it with our limited wisdom. We must
    trust Him.
    No, it's science we must trust.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:38
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You've clearly gone bananas!
    I have this sudden desire for bananas.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:41
    Can't you see, science has proved the bible is false. There is no God, only science. We must trust the scientists to tell us everything.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:43
    Did you ever think that it might be Gods will for man to make vaccines and things that can cure diseases?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:44
    There is no such thing as faith. It's an illusion. There's only science.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 17:46
    Then again, perhaps this is the very reason a lot of them decided to go with
    the faith; because they know themselves well enough to realise they can't
    behave otherwise. Maybe they're like little children who needs constant
    supervision or something. Of course, I'm sure God's got it all covered
    though, so I wouldn't worry about it. He's a wise bloke, God.
    Science and the government is all we need. They will show us the way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree