1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I used your notion of his omnipotence to contradict your own notion. Nothing more.
    Then you need a different argument to refute mine on this thread.

If you accept that God can be afraid of what isn't there, then go into the other thread and post my claims here as a refutation of my claims there. I can answer there.

BUT...

...you still haven't answered me here.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:302 edits
    What does the first commandment say?
    Why is he afraid of other gods if there are no other gods?

Like me saying I'm afraid of pink elephants if I know there aren't any. By being scared of them I know that there are pink elephants.

So if god aknowledge other gods, being scared of them, then there are, right?
    There are Gods and there are idols. The English word 'god' can be applied to either though you will likely see God capitalized if it is used in the literal sense. Is that so with the original Hebrew? It is my understanding that the first commandment speaks of idols.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Then you need a different argument to refute mine on this thread.

If you accept that God can be afraid of what isn't there, then go into the other thread and post my claims here as a refutation of my claims there. I can answer there.

BUT...

...you still haven't answered me here.
    Please, put the qeustion again. I thought I did answer the question, yet perhaps I answered another question.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    There are Gods and there are idols. The English word 'god' can be applied to either though you will likely see God capitalized if it is used in the literal sense. Is that so with the original Hebrew? It is my understanding that the first commandment speaks of idols.
    Please, can you quote the first comandement so we are talking about the same thing, in the same language.
    I only have my Swedish bible, and that one is chrystal clear.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:38
    Please, can you quote the first comandement so we are talking about the same thing, in the same language.
    I only have my Swedish bible, and that one is chrystal clear.
    Exodus 20: 2-6

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 3 you shall have no other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:41
    Exodus 20: 2-6

2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; 3 you shall have no other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down t ...[text shortened]... owing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    "you shall have no other gods before me."

This says it all. There is a plural form: 'gods', and this is the word of god himself. There are gods, not only one. Bible has spoketh.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:46
    "you shall have no other gods before me."

This says it all. There is a plural form: 'gods', and this is the word of god himself. There are gods, not only one. Bible has spoketh.
    Oh, so the Bible is completely literal and etymology is not important. OK.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:521 edit
    Oh, so the Bible is completely literal and etymology is not important. OK.
    If I say to my girlfriend: "You shall have no other boyfriends beside me!", then I say that there are other boys that she can have besides me, and this I don't like.

It has no meaning to say: "You shall not have any pink elephants in our bedroom!" She will laugh at me because there are no pink elephants, so this 'commandment' is of no meaning at all. Whenever she finds a pink elephant, I can without any danger invite it into our bedroom. Fat chance, I'd say.

So when god tells the people that they cannot have any other gods beside him, then he is clearly afraid that the people will go and find another god. Isn't there any other god, then the commandment is meningless. Do we laugh? No.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:57
    If I say to my girlfriend: "You shall have no other boyfriends beside me!", then I say that there are other boys that she can have besides me, and this I don't like.

It has no meaning to say: "You shall not have any pink elephants in our bedroom!" She will laugh at me because there are no pink elephants, so this 'commandment' is of no meaning at all. W ...[text shortened]... er god. Isn't there any other god, then the commandment is meningless. Do we laugh? No.
    I understand your position clearly, Fabian, but thanks for clarifying again anyway.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:581 edit
    Please, put the qeustion again. I thought I did answer the question, yet perhaps I answered another question.
    You said Why should god be afraid of something which isn't there? He's onnipotent [sic], remember?

Do you agree that God can be afraid of something which isn't there?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:04
    I understand your position clearly, Fabian, but thanks for clarifying again anyway.
    There are somethimes weaknesses in the concept of god. I don't point them out in any malice, but rather to make us think once more.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:07
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You said Why should god be afraid of something which isn't there? He's onnipotent [sic], remember?

Do you agree that God can be afraid of something which isn't there?
    Why should god be afraid to anything? Even if there are a number of gods lurking everywhere, why should god be afraid?

So god is clearly afraid that people can find other gods, existant or non-existant, and avoid this by formulate a commandement expressing this fright.

(Sorry, leaving. Will be back in a few hours. Not that I'm afraid of anything... 😉 )
  13. At the Revolution
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:22
    Who says? Reference, please.
    I'll give you a reference when you give me a real reference.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 09:42
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I'll give you a reference when you give me a real reference.
    A real reference, of what? Other gods than the christian god? Well, we have Baal, we have Mammon, we have a lot of other gods mentionned in the bible. Is this what you mean?
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 15:26
    A real reference, of what? Other gods than the christian god? Well, we have Baal, we have Mammon, we have a lot of other gods mentionned in the bible. Is this what you mean?
    Citations please. I have a copy of the whole Bible, and use it for all three Abrahamic faiths. If you give me a citation in the Bible that implies or states the existence of gods other than God, I will give you my citation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree