How morality holds sway over you

How morality holds sway over you

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
13 Feb 23

How much control do you have over your moral adjudications?

F

Moves
13 Feb 23
1 edit

@fmf said
How much control do you have over your moral adjudications?
I think most well-balanced people are strongly guided and, indeed, restrained by their moral compasses.

Even if a person decides to engage in a morally unsound act, for whatever reason, I think - in most cases - that person will be accutely aware of the moral nature of their deviance ~ and I mean "internally" more than in terms of external values and norms.

If they aren't, and it happens a lot, then they may be en route to being sociopathic.

Thoughts?

F

Moves
13 Feb 23
1 edit

Jordan Peterson, despite being a charlatan and a grifter, has also said an untold number of very interesting things.

He once argued [he was channelling Jung, I think] that the little voice [your conscience] that stops you from doing bad things, even if you want to do them, is - metaphorically speaking - "God", whether you believe in "him" or not.

He wasn't saying that "God" necessarily exists. Instead, he was saying that the moral compulsions and prohibitions that govern us serve the same function as belief in "God", and for believers, they may even be evidence that "God" exists".

Peterson is not a theist and I find his metaphorical reference to "God" in this instance interesting because it explores how people are compelled to behave with moral soundness by our moral compasses in a way that both theists and non-theists can relate to and/or ponder upon.