1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 00:38
    This might not be the right question for the Spiritual forum, but just how long have humans been around ? I heard the other day human relics have turned up around Louisiana dateing back over 16 thousand years. From Africa to all points on the globe. Christ only showed up two thousand years ago so what happened to all those souls that came before Christ ? Where they woke from the grave, and givin a chance at becoming Christian ? Actually they probably went to Hell because after what Adam and Eve did all were headed in that direction. When you think of just how long humans have been around it makes most religions seem brand new. The Rig Veda has been around a long time, but even that could not of effected the world as a whole.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 01:27
    Originally posted by buckky
    This might not be the right question for the Spiritual forum, but just how long have humans been around ? I heard the other day human relics have turned up around Louisiana dateing back over 16 thousand years. From Africa to all points on the globe. Christ only showed up two thousand years ago so what happened to all those souls that came before Christ ? Wher ...[text shortened]... Rig Veda has been around a long time, but even that could not of effected the world as a whole.
    Homo Sapiens have been around for about 250,000 years.
  3. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 02:40
    This might not be the right question for the Spiritual forum, but just how long have humans been around ? I heard the other day human relics have turned up around Louisiana dateing back over 16 thousand years. From Africa to all points on the globe. Christ only showed up two thousand years ago so what happened to all those souls that came before Christ ? Wher ...[text shortened]... Rig Veda has been around a long time, but even that could not of effected the world as a whole.
    Sounds like you picked this forum for a reason. Good luck on getting a straight answer from the creationists
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 02:44
    Plus it depends on what you consider 'human.' Homo habilis and Homo gautengensis appeared around 2.5 million years ago.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 02:55
    "fully intelligent" humans have been around 500 000-1 000 000 years on this planet. (or so I am led to believe through my own research)
    Apparently we did not necessarily "get intelligent" at the same rate,(ie. different races), actually some societies have actually gotten less intelligent, even if they still consider themselves "smart".

(my two cents worthπŸ™‚, free this time)
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 03:05
    The New Testament said Jesus preached to the souls in the grave during
    the three days he was dead. Some of these souls were raised from the
    dead at that time.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 06:33
    This might not be the right question for the Spiritual forum, but just how long have humans been around ? I heard the other day human relics have turned up around Louisiana dateing back over 16 thousand years. From Africa to all points on the globe.
    We all share a common female ancestor who live about 200,000 years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
    It is reasonable to consider the people living at that time 'human', because their characteristics would have been within the range of human characteristics that we see today.
    There is also a common male ancestor more recently: 142,000 years ago.

How much further back you call the people living 'human' is very much a matter of choice. Generally we only change a species name if there is a divergence of species, or the characteristics of a species change significantly. So scientifically we would give a different name to our ancestors if:
    a) there was a divergence of the species. We would call the ancestor species by one name and the two daughter species by other names (one of which would be 'homo-sapiens'πŸ˜‰
    b) there was a significant identifiable change in the characteristics of the species.

But it must not be forgotten that change is gradual and naming is really only for classification purposes.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 18:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is reasonable to consider the people living at that time 'human', because their characteristics would have been within the range of human characteristics that we see today.
    There is also a common male ancestor more recently: 142,000 ...[text shortened]... be forgotten that change is gradual and naming is really only for classification purposes.
    These dates are obviously way off if the female common ancestor of man
    was 58,000 years older than the male common ancestor.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 18:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Maybe she slept around.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 19:25
    From an archaeological/palaeontological point of view there are two answers to this. Anatomically modern homo sapiens sapiens first appears in the record around 200kya, but there is good evidence to suggest a significant behavioural change took place around 120 - 130kya which is reckoned to represent the final step towards us-ness.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Think about this for five seconds, please.

Would you deny that Eve was much older than Noah?

(To the others: And no, I'm not saying the female common ancestor they found was Eve, and I'm not saying the male common ancestor they found was Noah. What I am saying is that it's not completely necessary for these two to be of the same generation; there are many reasons why any one individual might be a common ancestor of mankind. Just trying to exercise RJH's brain a little, to get him out of his little box.)
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 19:50
    From what I understand, humans crossed the Bering land bridge into North America a mere 11,000 years ago. Allow another few thousand years to disseminate down to South America.

Just saying your figure of 16,000 years for relics in Louisiana is off a little bit.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 19:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    From what I understand, humans crossed the Bering land bridge into North America a mere 11,000 years ago. Allow another few thousand years to disseminate down to South America.

Just saying your figure of 16,000 years for relics in Louisiana is off a little bit.
    The paradigm for when humans crossed into America may soon be changing due to the archaeological finds as mentioned.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 20:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is also a common male ancestor more recently: 142,000 ...[text shortened]... be forgotten that change is gradual and naming is really only for classification purposes.
    Indeed the show I saw on "Mitchondrial Eve" was very convincing. I'm convinced (to some degree,enough not to argue with those findings without furthur info like that)
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 21:131 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    From an archaeological/palaeontological point of view there are two answers to this. Anatomically modern homo sapiens sapiens first appears in the record around 200kya, but there is good evidence to suggest a significant behavioural change took place around 120 - 130kya which is reckoned to represent the final step towards us-ness.
    This could also explain the relatively late appearance, in the record, of a male progenitor, as significant behavioral changes toward humanness are generally initiated by females.πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree