1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 May '12 15:28
    Yesterday my fitness trainer was talking about something she and her family experienced while at the beach to see the annular eclipse which was pretty good here in northern California. (They took all the precautions.) When it was at its fullest, there was an annular ring of sun visible.

When facing away from the sun, they noticed that their shadows on the sand had an "aura" of a different shade of light, that seems like a fuzzy edge to their shadow. Apparently it was quite prominent against the sand.

I imagine that if you have two point sources of light close together behind you, you will have two overlapping shadows that are offset from one another a bit. So an annular ring of light would create this fuzziness around the entire perimeter.

I'd put this in Science, but on this forum, we often discuss strange phenomena with the question of whether they have naturalistic explanations. I am wondering if the whole "aura" phenomena might have its roots in ancient people experiencing annular eclipses -- which they would have done, and which would have grabbed their attention far more than they grab ours.

Just another example of a mystical phenomena that might yield to naturalistic explanations.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '12 15:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yesterday my fitness trainer was talking about something she and her family experienced while at the beach to see the annular eclipse which was pretty good here in northern California. (They took all the precautions.) When it was at its fullest, there was an annular ring of sun visible.

When facing away from the sun, they noticed that their shadows on the ...[text shortened]... Just another example of a mystical phenomena that might yield to naturalistic explanations.
    you have a fitness trainer? are you an athlete?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 May '12 17:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you have a fitness trainer? are you an athlete?
    I wish. We are in our 60's. My wife and I share a trainer who we see for twice weekly training, and who gives us daily goals of exercise, diet etc. My wife has some health issues and I have a questionable hip joint, due to a childhood accident, that calls for staying in good shape -- strength, balance, flexibility, weight control. It's on the advice of our physicians (but not paid for by insurance).
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '12 20:312 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I wish. We are in our 60's. My wife and I share a trainer who we see for twice weekly training, and who gives us daily goals of exercise, diet etc. My wife has some health issues and I have a questionable hip joint, due to a childhood accident, that calls for staying in good shape -- strength, balance, flexibility, weight control. It's on the advice of our physicians (but not paid for by insurance).
    hi, ok, forgive my presumptuousness. I go to gym for similar reason to try to
    strengthen areas that were injured by numerous motor cycling accidents when
    younger. I was inspired actually by the TV program Kung Fu which I watched recently,
    for it seemed to me that the way of the Shaolin was to focus the mind and the body
    through mental and physical discipline to produce harmony of mind and body,
    perhaps the Buddhists among us know something of it, my knowledge is scant
    gleaned from a tv series, never the less, when I am exercising, I view it as a form
    of meditation. I am fully convinced of the need for exercise to stimulate mental
    health and the mind to help the body focus on the discipline of exercise. I apologise
    as this isn't really the topic of your post. Have you tired sauna? i find its very helpful
    for helping one to feel relaxed and sound of mind.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '12 20:40
    hi, ok, forgive my presumptuousness. I go to gym for similar reason to try to
    strengthen areas that were injured by numerous motor cycling accidents when
    younger. I was inspired actually by the TV program Kung Fu which I watched recently,
    for it seemed to me that the way of the Shaolin was to focus the mind and the body
    through mental and p ...[text shortened]... you tired sauna? i find its very helpful
    for helping one to feel relaxed and sound of mind.
    Here is one scientific study of people seeing aura's, and a rebuttal of sorts:

http://www.skeptic.com/doubtful-news/a-possible-scientific-explanation-for-healers-seeing-auras-updated-media-gets-it-wrong/
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '12 20:471 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is one scientific study of people seeing aura's, and a rebuttal of sorts:

http://www.skeptic.com/doubtful-news/a-possible-scientific-explanation-for-healers-seeing-auras-updated-media-gets-it-wrong/
    id be more interested in the science of sauna to be honest.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '12 20:55
    id be more interested in the science of sauna to be honest.
    You want to be a saunatation engineer?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '12 21:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You want to be a saunatation engineer?
    no i read an atricle one that spoke of the ions positive/negative I cannot remember
    clearly that are released when water is poured upon scolding hot stones. Id be
    interested to know if there is any truth to this and if so what effect it may have on the
    body, if any. Also i would like to know why its so relaxing to heat the skin and then
    cool it down quickly.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '12 23:102 edits
    no i read an atricle one that spoke of the ions positive/negative I cannot remember
    clearly that are released when water is poured upon scolding hot stones. Id be
    interested to know if there is any truth to this and if so what effect it may have on the
    body, if any. Also i would like to know why its so relaxing to heat the skin and then
    cool it down quickly.
    One thing we know about ions, we react to positive ions somewhat like rubbing a cat's fur the wrong way, they make us cranky.

Negative ions on the other hand calm us down, for some reason makes us feel better.

Or at least some of us:

http://www.breathofsalt.com/posnegions.htm

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/negative-ions-create-positive-vibes

I imagine the fast heating of water hitting the body followed by cold is like getting burned but immediately putting the burned part in cool water, although not as severe as actually getting burned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree