1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I simply await for you to add to my list or reasons. You have yet to do so.

As for evidence, like it or not evidence in a court of law is eye witness testimony. Why do you drag science into the fray? You imply that judges and jurys are incompentent in their decisions if they do not use science as the basis for their verdicts. This is absurd.
    "The simplest is that one should believe nothing on blind faith.
    Belief should be based on evidence.

Until there is evidence for gods (or anything else) then one should not believe in gods
    (or anything else not supported by evidence).

I HAVE presented you with another reason for your list.

Juries are often incompetent but that is not at all what I was saying.

A court of law uses a lower standard of evidence than is permissible in science.

We are discussing the nature of reality and not whether or not a person has committed a crime
    and thus we are operating in the realm of science and are bound by it's higher standards of evidence.

I would also reiterate and restate what I implied earlier.

As Pierre-Simon Laplace said "The weight of evidence for an extraordinary claim must be proportioned to its strangeness."

Which was popularised by Carl Sagan as "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

Claiming that a person stole your car is not an extraordinary claim and does not require extraordinary evidence.

Claiming that there is an omnipotent god who created the universe IS an extraordinary claim and DOES need
    extraordinary evidence.

And then we have the very meaning of the word evidence.

Evidence for a proposition must be either only explicable by that claim or be probabilistically most likely to be explained
    by that proposition. The strength of the evidence for a particular proposition being how likely it is that that proposition
    explains the evidence vs any and all other explanations.

In this instance the strength of eyewitness testimony or personal experience for god would be the probability that
    that testimony is due to the existence of god vs the probability that the testimony is explained by something other
    than god (anything from hallucinations to space aliens to simply lying).

For personal experience and eyewitness testimony the probability that they are explained by god is VASTLY lower than
    the combined probability of every other possible explanation.

Thus, eyewitness testimony or personal experience can't be considered to be evidence for god as god is not even close to
    being the most likely explanation for that testimony or experience.

Even if you are the one doing the experiencing or witnessing.

There is currently no evidence for god because there is no fact or observation that we have for which the best or most likely
    explanation is that a god exists.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:15
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    [b]

Until there is evidence for gods (or anything else) then one should not believe in gods
    So belief should be based upon evidence? I think I have already stated that I missed stating that evidence must be persuasive enough to embrace.

So the list has grown to:

1. I do not believe in a God who would (fill in the blank).

2. I do not believe in a God who cannot be proved.

3. I do not believe in a God in whom evidence is not persuasive enough to lead me to such belief.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:17
    A court of law uses a lower standard of evidence than is permissible in science.

We are discussing the nature of reality and not whether or not a person has committed a crime
    and thus we are operating in the realm of science and are bound by it's higher standards of evidence.

I would also reiterate and restate what I implied earlier.

As Pierre- ...[text shortened]... rvation that we have for which the best or most likely
    explanation is that a god exists.[/b]
    So what evidence would you have us give to show that God healed someone from an illness? What evidence would you like to be given to show that God has freed the mind of someone held in bondage to fear? What evidence would you like to show that God has birthed a loving heart into a convert? What evidence would you like to show that God has spoken a word to someone?

Hmmm?
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 03:00
    I simply await for you to add to my list or reasons. You have yet to do so.

As for evidence, like it or not evidence in a court of law is eye witness testimony. Why do you drag science into the fray? You imply that judges and jurys are incompentent in their decisions if they do not use science as the basis for their verdicts. This is absurd.
    this is not entirely correct. in significance, eyewitness testimony is somewhere between circumstantial evidence and actual evidence and expert witnesses.

in general practice, both circumstantial evidence and eyewitness testimony are used to reinforce existing evidence and if you have either, you have a better chance of conviction (though not guaranteed).

in your religion however, eyewitness testimony has more significance. and women count for only half a witness.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 03:03
    Which God? Any god.
    no god has made contact with me.

eyewitness testimony of others doesn't count for much from my perspective. there are also eyewitness testimony of people seeing big-foot and being abducted by aliens.

to date, no eyewitness of gods, bigfoot or alien abductees have been able to present credible evidence for their accounts.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 05:29
    So belief should be based upon evidence? I think I have already stated that I missed stating that evidence must be persuasive enough to embrace.

So the list has grown to:

1. I do not believe in a God who would (fill in the blank).

2. I do not believe in a God who cannot be proved.

3. I do not believe in a God in whom evidence is not persuasive enough to lead me to such belief.
    I would like to find that one of the items on the list applies to me, but do not see one. I have pretty much given up on trying to articulate one for you. I could try the tack of "...because I do not have a coherent idea of a believable God."
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 11:13
    So what evidence would you have us give to show that God healed someone from an illness? What evidence would you like to be given to show that God has freed the mind of someone held in bondage to fear? What evidence would you like to show that God has birthed a loving heart into a convert? What evidence would you like to show that God has spoken a word to someone?

Hmmm?
    None of those things are evidence for god because all of those things are explicable without
    god and all of those things are vastly more likely to be explicable by something other than god.

Let me short circuit this by saying that nothing that has ever been claimed as a miracle performed
    by any god at any time in history any where on this planet has ever come even remotely close to
    being evidence for god even IF it was shown to actually be an inexplicable event that we couldn't
    readily explain with present day science.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 01:181 edit
    Good point, I guess thinking about this I would have to go with:

3. Evidence presented does not sway my belief.

So there ya go, we have one more. 😛
    How interesting. Back when you apparently forgot that you yourself are atheistic with respect to numerous conceptions of god, you rather broadly painted atheists as having the unreasonable demand that the evidence for god needs to be absolutely conclusive to the point of "proof". However, when you are reminded that you yourself are atheistic with respect to numerous conceptions of god, you quickly pull in the much more reasonable demand that the evidence for god needs to be good enough.
  9. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 01:451 edit
    How about this one...

My interpretation of what a God should be doesn't jive with all of the religious documents I have read. If theses are the "facts", I'm not convinced.

Edit: i guess you could chalk that up to number three?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:202 edits

I HAVE presented you with another reason for your list.

Juries are often incompetent but th vation that we have for which the best or most likely
    explanation is that a god exists.
    Claiming that there is a God who created the universe IS NOT an extraordinary
    claim and DOES NOT need extraordinary evidence because there IS NOT
    evidence to the contrary. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! 😏

P.S. All evidence we have, points to the existence of an extremely intelligent
    and powerful being. We call this being, God.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:27
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    this is not entirely correct. in significance, eyewitness testimony is somewhere between circumstantial evidence and actual evidence and expert witnesses.

in general practice, both circumstantial evidence and eyewitness testimony are used to reinforce existing evidence and if you have either, you have a better chance of conviction (though not guarante ...[text shortened]... n however, eyewitness testimony has more significance. and women count for only half a witness.
    Now this is pretty ironic. Here we have a post basically bashing the significance of eyewitness testimony as evidence, while at the same time conceeding that it IS evidence. LOL.

As for personal testimony being the only evidence, clearly it is not. For example, we have all of creation as evidence. Again, you will say that this is not evidence either no doubt. And again, I will point out that it IS evidence no matter how flimsy of evidence you may think it may be.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:29
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    How interesting. Back when you apparently forgot that you yourself are atheistic with respect to numerous conceptions of god, you rather broadly painted atheists as having the unreasonable demand that the evidence for god needs to be absolutely conclusive to the point of "proof". However, when you are reminded that you yourself are atheistic with respec ...[text shortened]... kly pull in the much more reasonable demand that the evidence for god needs to be good enough.
    I make no apology for being biased in my worldview. What drives me nuts, however, are people who try and convince me that they are perfectly open minded by saying they are agnostic.

In short, everyone has a bias and a worldview that seems reasonable to them, from which they build a belief system.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:311 edit
    None of those things are evidence for god because all of those things are explicable without
    god and all of those things are vastly more likely to be explicable by something other than god.

Let me short circuit this by saying that nothing that has ever been claimed as a miracle performed
    by any god at any time in history any where on this planet h ...[text shortened]... actually be an inexplicable event that we couldn't
    readily explain with present day science.
    What if you were one of the ancient Israelites and you saw the Red Sea open before you and then close down on the Egyptians? What if you also saw manna fall from heaven?

Could these things be splained away as well?

If not, then what evidence do you require?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:331 edit
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    How about this one...

My interpretation of what a God should be doesn't jive with all of the religious documents I have read. If theses are the "facts", I'm not convinced.

Edit: i guess you could chalk that up to number three?
    Actually, that would be more like #2. Basically, the picture you have for God does not fit what other present to you.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 20:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    I would like to find that one of the items on the list applies to me, but do not see one. I have pretty much given up on trying to articulate one for you. I could try the tack of "...because I do not have a coherent idea of a believable God."
    I think that this falls under #2 as well. Basically what you internalize as being what God should be does not jive with what you have heard about God thus far.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree