"I no longer call you slaves .....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
28 Apr 05

..... I have called you friends" (Jn 15,15).

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger - Homily at the Mass for the Election of the Roman Pontiff

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=2062

4/19/2005 - 5:00 AM PST

©Catholic Online 2005

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Mass in St. Peter's Basilica
April 18, 2005

“At this hour of great responsibility, we hear with special consideration what the Lord says to us in his own words. From the three readings I would like to examine just a few passages which concern us directly at this time."

"How many winds of doctrine we have known in recent decades, how many ideological currents, how many ways of thinking... The small boat of thought of many Christians has often been tossed about by these waves - thrown from one extreme to the other: from Marxism to liberalism, even to libertinism; from collectivism to radical individualism; from atheism to a vague religious mysticism; from agnosticism to syncretism, and so forth. Every day new sects are created and what Saint Paul says about human trickery comes true, with cunning which tries to draw those into error (cf Eph 4, 14). Having a clear faith, based on the Creed of the Church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. Whereas, relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and "swept along by every wind of teaching," looks like the only attitude (acceptable) to today’s standards. We are moving towards a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires.

However, we have a different goal: the Son of God, true man. He is the measure of true humanism. Being an "Adult" means having a faith which does not follow the waves of today’s fashions or the latest novelties. A faith which is deeply rooted in friendship with Christ is adult and mature. It is this friendship which opens us up to all that is good and gives us the knowledge to judge true from false, and deceit from truth. We must become mature in this adult faith; we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith. And it is this faith - only faith - which creates unity and takes form in love. On this theme, Saint Paul offers us some beautiful words - in contrast to the continual ups and downs of those were are like infants, tossed about by the waves: (he says) make truth in love, as the basic formula of Christian existence. In Christ, truth and love coincide. To the extent that we draw near to Christ, in our own life, truth and love merge. Love without truth would be blind; truth without love would be like "a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal" (1 Cor 13,1)."

If you want to read the whole homily please visit:

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
29 Apr 05

My head exploded after the first sentence. Then I realized he was refering to the Bible. Long day, much tired.

b

Moves
29 Apr 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
..... I have called you friends" (Jn 15,15).

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger - Homily at the Mass for the Election of the Roman Pontiff

4/19/2005 - 5:00 AM PST

©Catholic Online 2005

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Mass in St. Peter's Basilica
April 18, 2005

“At this hour of great respons ...[text shortened]... to read the whole homily please visit:

what do you think of what he was impling?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Apr 05

Originally posted by KneverKnight
My head exploded after the first sentence. Then I realized he was refering to the Bible. Long day, much tired.
[b]My head exploded after the first sentence.

I'm curious what will happen to you after you've read the whole homily .....

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Apr 05

Originally posted by blindfaith101
what do you think of what he was impling?

I'm sure it is somewhere in the homily.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
30 Apr 05
1 edit

[b]My head exploded after the first sentence.

I'm curious what will happen to you after you've read the whole homily .....
[/b]Sounds like he is attempting to circle the Christian wagons against the barbarian onslaught from the East.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
30 Apr 05
1 edit

Sounds like he is attempting to circle the Christian wagons against the barbarian onslaught from the East.[/b]
From the East ? .... rather from the West itself I would say .....

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
01 May 05

From the East ? .... rather from the West itself I would say .....
I was thinking "gongs and cymbals" are used in some eastern ceremonies, but OK, picked up here in the west too.